Author Topic: Could anyone else here ever dunk?  (Read 8022 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Could anyone else here ever dunk?
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2004, 09:52:16 AM »
I am about 5'7", never got the ups enough to reach the rim, and that was when i WAS in shape, but right now if someone tried to bring that shyte to me i would box thier sissyarse out of the blacktop thats for damn sure, my team would have a center, pf, point, SF, and i would play the tackle..........just bring it you punk beeeehacthes!!

oh BTW anybody catch last night Chappell Show?  the sesame street knock opff with Snoop dizzle was hilarious!
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2004, 10:18:04 AM »
Well, at 5'9" as said before I am the king of dunks as long as they include some sort of pastry and coffee. Seriously, my basketball playing days ended many years ago with a totally exploded right knee. both the medial colateral and anterior cruciate ligiment torn beyond healing and replaced with gortex grafts, medial meniscus cartilage torn, and a petella (kneecap) that is now porcelein after being broken, by the orthopedists count, into 26 pieces. Did it in a mountain bike race (of course) and it took me close to a year to learn how to walk right afterward. Same surgeon that repaired my knee had done all the surgery on Danny Manning so I knew I was in good hands.

Not that in my hey day did I ever have ashot at dunking a basketball, you guys think white guys can't jump, you see and Apache Indian try it. my specialty was the mid range jumper and suffocating defense. pretty good passer too. Didn't have the quicks off the dribble so I was never able to dazzle anyone, I was just a role player. Street ball was too fast and lethal where I grew up, someone my size without the skills these cats had rarely attempted to get in there, the style on my block was Bill Lambeer physical and broken bones were not uncommon on the blacktop.

So now I just stick to my mountian bike and training like crazy to stay in shape so all my injuries over the years don't turn me into a crippled old man before my time. I may not dunk, but no one I know my age, including anyone here on this board, can keep up with me on a mountain bike.
Dan

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2004, 09:45:31 PM »
Someone call for a story about Vancil trying to dunk.  

Well it was a nice sunny, lazy afternoon but there something in the air.  Something that made 5'9, 215 Ib people feel like they can throw it down with authority.  So there we were, the setting....a short driveway rim (about 8 and half feet), the backboard made of plywood and the cement where the wood was held in place stuck up from the ground.  So there was a circle of cement that surrounded the wooden (rectangular prism) pole.  We were all feeling saucy and trying our hands at dunking.  Vancil strolls up easy peasy Japanesey and with a look demands the basketball with a non-chalant waive of the arm.  The ball comes to him and he takes one dribble, the echo is heard throughout the subdivision.  He breaks for the basket putting the ball in the right hand and rises.  Is this the moment of victory....NOOOooooOOO.  He is blocked by the front of the rim and awkwardly lands on his right foot, twisting it badly as he winces in pain.  But aha, he has a left foot still to come down on, which he unfortunately puts at the edge of the cement ring.  The scream is interrupted by stifled laughter from the onlookers.  He then makes his way slowly to the car never quite deciding which ankle to put weight on (which was also hilarious to see) and silently vows never to try and dunk again.

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2004, 02:45:50 PM »
And that's just about the way it happened.

When I came down on my right ankle, I realized I was going to sprain it, so I shifted my weight to the left ankle, which I didn't realize was also coming down unevenly.  All the sick, twisted folks around (yeah, that includes you, Skander) couldn't stop laughing.  As I remember, I actually needed help to get to the car.

I've got notoriously bad ankles, especially the right one, but to see me sprain *BOTH* ankles on a single play was a rare sight indeed.  Obviously, it's a dunk story I've never been able to live down.

Obviously, that's the funniest "injury" story I have.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Dromedarius

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2004, 11:25:51 AM »
:D  I LOVE that "dunk" story! It sounds like a Ben Stiller moment. At one time I was able to dunk, but they weren't what you'd call ferocious, due to the fact that I'm a two foot jumper and I can barely palm a basketball, which left me having to do some odd things to hold on to the ball long enough to get over the rim. I'm about 6'1" and I used to have a 32 inch vertical leap, but the 60 pounds I've put on since high school, plus a serious ankle injury in a college intramural game have put a damper on my dunk days. Now I can only get a couple inches over the rim.

However, I've gotten crafty in my old age, and I don't know how many times I've put a Vlade move on some young punk, leaving him wondering how you can shoot from below the waist while spinning and looking away. Being crafty has its advantages. Besides, my little brother, who is 6'4", can dunk just about anyway you want him to, so I live vicariously through him.

On a more somber note, I once saw my dad dunk when he was in his mid 30's, and he did so without warming up, at a weight of about 250 lbs. I always lived with that through high school and college, even being known as "Vert Man" (from the Mountain Dew commercials and my above the rim blocks), that I couldn't outjump my fat dad.  :(  

Rickortreat

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2004, 06:50:34 PM »
I'm a white 5' 7" Jewish guy.  Only in my dreams could I dunk.  The only thing I could be good at basketball was as a coach.  For some reason, the players think you should have been a player to coach.