Author Topic: The game tonight...  (Read 2217 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
The game tonight...
« on: May 21, 2008, 02:20:53 PM »
Good luck [size=06pt]Laker[/size] fans!  I am hoping for a game one win on your home floor for my dusty old team.   ;D ;D ;D

GO SPURS GO!!!

NO [size=06pt]LAKERS[/size] NO!!!
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The game tonight...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 03:00:34 PM »
Man I am gettig psyched about the game tonight!!

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The Spurs-Lakers rivalry has been on hiatus since 2004 for one simple reason: The Lakers haven't been very good.

They are now.

So the NBA's dominant teams of the past decade meet again, with the winner taking a giant step toward another possible championship.

"As far as the playoffs go, it's San Antonio," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said Tuesday when asked if the Spurs were his team's biggest rival.

"We've had our battles. We've had some great matchups," Lakers star Kobe Bryant said. "It feels great to be back at that level, matching up with San Antonio."

Game 1 of the Western Conference finals is Wednesday night at Staples Center, where the Lakers are 6-0 in the postseason and winners of 12 straight overall including a 106-85 victory over the Spurs in their next-to-last game of the regular season.

The teams have combined to win seven of the last nine championships, with the Spurs prevailing in 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2007 and the Lakers doing so from 2000-02. They lost to Detroit in the NBA finals in 2004.

Shaquille O'Neal was traded that summer, and the Lakers failed to win a playoff series for three straight years. That prompted Bryant to demand a trade following their elimination last spring.

But to most everyone's surprise, the Lakers returned to elite status this season, and enter the conference finals with a league-best 8-2 record in the playoffs.

"It's always great to play against the Lakers," San Antonio's Tony Parker said Monday night after the Spurs' 91-82 victory at New Orleans propelled them into the conference finals. "Kobe's at his best; they have a great team. It reminds me of my first couple of years in the league. Back to the rivalry. It will be great."

The well-rested Lakers, who haven't played since Friday night, already figured to be facing a travel-weary team. But that was before the Spurs' trip to Los Angeles took on nightmare proportions.

Their departure from New Orleans was delayed several hours after their plane had mechanical problems. Because of the National Cable and Telecommunications Association's annual convention, which attracted about 20,000 people to New Orleans, the Spurs were unable to find hotel rooms in the city.

"Not what you would hope for," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said with a tired smile late Tuesday afternoon at the team's hotel in suburban Santa Monica. "Mechanical problem, no mechanic, then no plane, no hotel. Eventful, strange, weird. Reminded me of Division III basketball."

Popovich said some of his players slept on the plane, others didn't. Finally, another plane was brought in from Minneapolis, and the team took off about 6:30 a.m. -- about six hours after the original departure time. It landed in Los Angeles some four hours later.

The Spurs didn't practice Tuesday.

"We didn't think practice was going to glean a whole lot of improvement, considering everything," Popovich said.

He did say it was a good thing the Spurs had won Game 7.

"If this had been a loss, we would have been fighting each other," he said. "There would have been deaths on that plane."

Popovich said he doesn't believe the incident will have an impact Wednesday night.

"Everybody goes through that stuff during the season," he said. "Every team can tell you a horror story. It'll be forgotten by tomorrow. It was a good story today.

"We're not going to change, it's too far into the season."

The Lakers have a 7-3 record against the Spurs in the postseason, including 3-0 in the conference finals. They last met at this stage of the playoffs seven years ago, with the Lakers sweeping the Spurs on their way to a best-ever 15-1 postseason record.

The teams met in the conference semifinals in each of the next three years, with the Lakers winning twice, most recently in 2004.

The teams went 2-2 this season, winning their games at home. The Lakers outscored the Spurs 53-32 in the second half of their one-sided win last month, but Manu Ginobili didn't play because of an injured groin.

Ginobili scored 26 points against New Orleans in Game 7, and is averaging 20.0 points in the playoffs.

"This is a team that's been playing the same kind of ball for five years now," Jackson said. "It's about execution, it's about who's going to do the things right. Not a whole lot of surprises -- the players are the surprise if they're playing at the top of their game."

Bryant, winner of his first MVP award this season, is averaging an NBA-leading 33.3 points in the postseason.

"This is Kobe's team, without a doubt," Popovich said. "He's given them leadership. They're the best passing team in the league."

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 03:33:54 PM »
There are a ton of "jinxes" working against the Lakers.  Time to break out the vodoo dolls and all the good Lakers mojo they can find.

Do I need to setup the DVR for the eventual ref bitch fest?  I think both sides are going to have a ton of things to complain about.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 05:25:58 PM »
Not much to add...

Tex Winter on the Spurs

May 21, 2008 5:55 PM
Roland Lazenby talks to Tex Winter on SportsHubLA about the drum Phil Jackson beats to bring the team together.

Really.

But the longtime Jackson assistant, and the godfather of the triangle, also talks about facing the Spurs:

"They're good, man," the 86-year-old guru, Jackson's longtime mentor, says of the veteran Spurs. "They can control the tempo of the game. That's their strength. They're very balanced. Manu Ginobili, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Bruce Bowen, they all present their own sort of problems.

"We're just gonna have to outscore them some way or another. I hope we can. It's not gonna be easy. But it's gonna be interesting. I'm sure we can score on 'em, but I'm not sure we can score enough."

There are also immense questions defending the Spurs.

Taking the brunt of the challenge will be new Lakers center Pau Gasol, smart, skilled but a tad thin for the task.

"It's a test for all of us," Winter says, "but Gasol's got a tough assignment. He's going head to head with Tim Duncan. Over the years, he's been the best big man in the game."

Laker backup Ronny Turiaf can perhaps help a bit against Duncan, but Winter says even Turiaf's effectiveness will be questionable against Duncan.

Likewise challenged will be the Lakers Derek Fisher with San Antonio's Tony Parker, whom Winter sees as one of the most under-appreciated guards in the game.

"Fisher has been able to play pretty well against him in the past," Winter observed. "That's one of the keys. Parker offers so much speed and penetration."

Defending quick, smart guards like Parker has long been a Laker difficulty.

Backup point Jordan Farmar is another question mark in this matchup. "He's capable of playing well if he gets going," Winter offered. "He's had a tough time against Parker in the past, but then again, most guards have."

The ultimate decision for Jackson is how the Lakers match up with guard Manu Ginobli. "I'm not sure how we're gonna go with that one," Winter said. "Phil may not know the answer to that one right up until game time Wednesday. That's another one of the keys. What are we gonna do to contain that guy?"
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 06:46:05 PM »
Winters sounds like me, even he admits they have no answer for Parker or Ginobli and he knows Duncan is better than Gasol. 

Add the rebounding edge to that and I think the edge goes to the Spurs. The pressure is on the Lakers, they have to defend their home court.

Still the Lakers clearly deserve to be here, and made it in great style. Should be a great series.

Are the Spurs too old? Or have the Lakers met their match talent-wize?

Who else is going to step up for the Lakers and put in 20+ to help Kobe?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 09:40:22 PM »
Winters sounds like me, even he admits they have no answer for Parker or Ginobli and he knows Duncan is better than Gasol. 

Add the rebounding edge to that and I think the edge goes to the Spurs. The pressure is on the Lakers, they have to defend their home court.

Still the Lakers clearly deserve to be here, and made it in great style. Should be a great series.

LOL...Are you serious?  You want props?  WHO ON PLANET EARTH DIDN't KNOW THEY HAVE NO ANSWER FOR PARKER AND DUNCAN IS BETTER THEN GASOL?!?!

JESUS CHRIST ALMIGHTY
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 10:54:32 PM »
Down 20, still win. 

That is how much better than everyone else LA is and will be for a while.  Gasol.  Incredible.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 11:04:47 PM »
LOL...Are you serious?  You want props?  WHO ON PLANET EARTH DIDN't KNOW THEY HAVE NO ANSWER FOR PARKER AND DUNCAN IS BETTER THEN GASOL?!?!

JESUS CHRIST ALMIGHTY

LOL!  Tex Winters sounds like ALL of us!!!!!!!!!!!  I wonder if Tex picked the Sixers, Nuggets and Suns to win their series?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 11:09:42 PM »
Down 20, still win. 

That is how much better than everyone else LA is and will be for a while.  Gasol.  Incredible.

That was pretty amazing but it was not as much LA winning the game as it was the Spurs losing.  The Lakers picked up the defense but TD still got good looks and the Spurs shooters got wide open looks but could not hit their shots.  The Lakers are very LUCKY to have won that game, it seemed like every time the Lakers missed a golden opportunity to close the gap the Spurs failed to take advantage for the elusive "4 point swing".
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 11:09:46 PM »

No, Winters is smart, you're stupid, and you are almost NEVER right, you have become a self mocking parody of yourself Minnie Me, what a moron!
Dan

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 01:26:22 AM »
Down 20, still win. 

Skan, let's not go over board just yet.  Great come back.  Tony and Tim kind of vanished at the end there, and Manu just had an all around bad night, could be be both being tired AND the defense that LA played with.  I knew the game was not going to be a blow out, even when we were up 20.  Not sure if LA was just rusty from rest, but the Spurs started out great, and slowly faded as the game went on, CLANK, CLANK, CLANK!!  There is an upside to this game that I came away with, for starters, I feel that we can win one in LA, HOWEVER, Manu needs to be on his game - the big three can only really knock the Lakers out if there are THREE that play big, Manu just sucked, no doubt about it.  Can't have that.  The Spurs need to catch up on some more rest and MAINTAIN their D throughout the game, as in not get so sloppy on the coverage - LA had around three ally-oops [SP?] in a row - I was wondering if PJ got some plays from the movie Semi-Pro at that point.  Knowing that a player like Manu can really come back from such an awful performance gives me some hope that we have a good chance in game 2. 
Other than that, Kobe brought his team back, as was expected - the guy is way too good to not get his points like he did in the second half.  The Lakers, will be a very good team for a while indeed, however I am not ready to throw in the towel after this loss, I would think LA has more to worry about after the game than SA does - but that's more of a half-full, half-empty thing I guess. ;)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 09:10:43 AM »
^^^^^^
The flip side is Odom was a no show and if he starts playing like he did against Utah the Spurs are in big trouble.  The Spurs can not matchup with Odom.  They have an answer for Pau and Kobe but nothing in regards to guarding Odom.

I just hope Kobe is more aggressive in game 2 BUT not translate that aggression into taking 30+ shots.  The Lakers can play a lot better based on what they did in round 2 so I hope they bring it and blow the Spurs out in game 2.  I am glad to see the Spurs did not dominate the Lakers on the boards like the Jazz did on both ends.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"