Author Topic: Coaching guage in game 2 of the Lakers/Spurs series.  (Read 1346 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Coaching guage in game 2 of the Lakers/Spurs series.
« on: May 22, 2008, 11:14:28 AM »
IMO PJ and Pop can be gauged in game 2 in regards to how their team starts the game.

The Spurs need to come out with a vengance for letting game 1 slip away.  IMO that should not be too difficult for Pop to accomplish but it is something Pop needs to instill in his players if they do not already have that fire burning in their gut already.  IMO this will be most apparent in Manu, I expect him to live in the paint the whole game.

The Lakers need to come out for game 2 with the focus they had in game 6 vs the Jazz.  PJ must instill in them that they are dam lucky to have won game 1.  They should NOT expect to be able to flip the switch on the Spurs ever again in this series.  The next time you let the Spurs build a double digit lead on you late in the game you MUST expect to get burried.  DO NOT LET THAT HAPPEND AGAIN ESPECIALLY IN GAME 2!.  IMO this will not only guage PJ's understanding of the circumstances but it will guare his ability to reach the minds of the Lakers and keep their heads level.  If the Lakers buy into their own hype the Spurs will bury them in 6 games.  IMO game 2 is just a big a barometer as game 6 vs Utah was in regards to the caliber of the Lakers as a championship contendor.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Coaching guage in game 2 of the Lakers/Spurs series.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 05:05:45 PM »
Coming out strong is not on the coaches shoulders IMO.  This is 90% up to the players.  This is the WCFs and both teams have been in enough playoff games to know what time it is.  It's WINNIN TIME.

IMO i'll talk about the areas that are not the strength's of either team.  I think the Lakers could do a better job on offense and I think the Spurs could do a better job on defense but Ill talk about the lesser part of each teams game for now.

As for the Lakers I feel it was a little bit of offensive rust that they started off so slow teamed up with the fact the Spurs are a very good defensive club.  If they come out playing weak defense like they did last night against the Jazz or Nuggets for 30 minutes its a 10 point lead.  Against the Spurs its a 20 point lead.  The adjustment I think Phil needs to make is actually getting Ariza in the line up to start if G-Nob does.  Make sure that Kobe and Sasha also get a piece of him through the course of the game as well.  Two players scoring 25 points is fine.  It's only 50 points.  The SA bench will NOT be able to make up the slack.  Three players scoring 25 is not ok.  It's 75 points and the bench could easily give them another 15-20. 

The Spurs need to figure out a way to either move the ball around better or just knocking down shots in general.  When Parker gets trapped off that screen and coughs up the ball the Spurs need to make them pay.  They can't wait until they get to their home building for the outside shooters to get comfortable.  They need to hit those shots OR attack the rim.  Tony Parker can't be the only person on the perimeter trying to get penetration.  Michael Finley is able to do more then just stand behind the 3 and wait for a pass.  What happened to dunk champion Brent Barry?  Why doesn't Ime use his strength to create contact?  The Lakers are not a strong defensive club for long periods of time.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 05:10:06 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 06:04:31 PM »
^^^westkoast, I agree with most of what you said there except for the starting Ariza on Manu part.  As well as Ariza was playing before he went down, I think it's asking too much to think after not playing for 4 months he can come right in and be a defensive stopper and "difference maker" in the WCF.  Plus, the team is playing somewhere around .800 ball since the Gasol trade and through the playoffs.  I'm not sure you want to mess with the chemistry this current rotation has going. 

On top of that, Vujacic did an outstanding job on Manu in the 4th qtr last night.  He was effectively doing to Manu what Bowen does so well to Kobe.  Getting up on him, swiping at the ball (hands, arms), being a pest and generally keeping him from getting comfortable.  Sasha's D last night on Manu was a huge factor in the comeback, probably second only to Kobe's play, IMO. 

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 06:14:57 PM by msc »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 02:02:21 AM »
Tough to get Ariza into the game when he's sitting on the bench in street clothes.  I know people are talking about Sasha's defense on Manu but I honestly don't remember Sasha being all that good.  Manu just had another one of those nights when he dissapears.  Nobody was playing much D on Manu in the Hornets series yet Manu was not very effective for half the series.

The Lakers offense looked pretty bad in game 1, if they get back to form and play the way they played in game 6 vs Utah then I would expect a blow out game.  The problem is these are the same Lakers that got blown out by the Bobcats and Grizz, while this is winning time I don't know if the Lakers have the mentality to understand that concept.  I know Kobe and Fisher will keep an even keel but IMO PJ MUST prepare the Lakers for game 2.  If the Lakers come out flat I totally blame it on the coaching staff for not instilling that sense of urgency that should be there for EVERY playoff game.  You can take a game off durring the regular season but not in the playoffs, that's on the coach!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 10:44:12 AM »
Tough to get Ariza into the game when he's sitting on the bench in street clothes.  I know people are talking about Sasha's defense on Manu but I honestly don't remember Sasha being all that good.  Manu just had another one of those nights when he dissapears.  Nobody was playing much D on Manu in the Hornets series yet Manu was not very effective for half the series.

They said they would suit him up on Friday.  I don't know why they did not play him on Wednesday. 

Sasha's defense was pretty good WOW.  It was a lot of off the ball stuff that he was doing and just doing what he was told, which was stay on the left side of Manu as well as you can.  If you notice it's not like it was against the Suns when Manu was able to go left uncontested for an easy shot. 

The Lakers offense looked pretty bad in game 1, if they get back to form and play the way they played in game 6 vs Utah then I would expect a blow out game.  The problem is these are the same Lakers that got blown out by the Bobcats and Grizz, while this is winning time I don't know if the Lakers have the mentality to understand that concept.  I know Kobe and Fisher will keep an even keel but IMO PJ MUST prepare the Lakers for game 2.  If the Lakers come out flat I totally blame it on the coaching staff for not instilling that sense of urgency that should be there for EVERY playoff game.  You can take a game off durring the regular season but not in the playoffs, that's on the coach!

They've came a long way from the Bobcats and Grizz loses so I don't worry about that at this point.  I think the Lakers learned their lesson.  However I still disagree with you.  If a coach has to get you pumped for a WCF game on your home court YOU are the player have the issue.  It's not the coaches fault.  They will have them prepared with adjustments and plans of attack but to get them pumped?  Not a coaches job.  Unless your Mike D'Antoni then that is your only job ;)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 11:26:10 AM »
They've came a long way from the Bobcats and Grizz loses so I don't worry about that at this point.  I think the Lakers learned their lesson.  However I still disagree with you.  If a coach has to get you pumped for a WCF game on your home court YOU are the player have the issue.  It's not the coaches fault.  They will have them prepared with adjustments and plans of attack but to get them pumped?  Not a coaches job.  Unless your Mike D'Antoni then that is your only job ;)

Comming back from a 20 point defecit to beat the Spurs might give the players a false sense of security, it's PJ's job to keep his players heads level IMO.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"