Author Topic: Congrats Spurs fans  (Read 3223 times)

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Congrats Spurs fans
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 06:17:58 PM »
Experience is bull. Completely overrated, but if NO ever does win, everyone will say they need to loose first to know what it felt like.  Anyone who does say that is an idiot.

ARRRGGGHH

Oddly enough, the misspelling of "lose" is the least annoying part of those two sentences. 

Chalk me up as one of those idiots that think experience matters.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 07:38:17 AM »
Rick's comments just echo the national media.  The Spurs didn't win, the Hornets lost.  SA didn't do anything except show up.  If it wouldn't have been for the fact that NO ran up & down the court the Spurs would have never left the bench.  And if the Spurs win another title it will be because there were injuries, cheap shots, better teams folding, etc, blah, blah, blah.

SA has had a 10 year window.  Name another team besides the Bulls in the past 20 years that has had a 10 year window.  They keep winning and get little respect from the common fan or most so-called sportswriters.  They are old.  They are boring.  They whine too much.  They are dirty.

THEY ARE CHAMPIONS.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 09:48:13 AM »
SA has had a 10 year window.  Name another team besides the Bulls in the past 20 years that has had a 10 year window.

Lakers and Celtics, both teams had more of an 11 or 12 year window, Spurs are currently working on their 9th year.

There are many players who could not handle the pressure before coming into the NBA.  Chris Webber being the most notable.  Rick is way off as usual.  The Hornets were healthy, they refs were pretty good and they were just as rested as the Spurs.  The Hornets got rattled, plain and simple, they lacked the experience of playing in a pressure game. 

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 10:08:17 AM »
SA has had a 10 year window.  Name another team besides the Bulls in the past 20 years that has had a 10 year window.

Lakers and Celtics, both teams had more of an 11 or 12 year window, Spurs are currently working on their 9th year.

And exactly what 10 years in the past 20 (starting in 1988) did those 2 teams have the window?  Or are you referring to the 50's for the Celtics and the 80's for the Lakers?  Not in the last 20 years I'm afraid.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 10:23:44 AM »

And exactly what 10 years in the past 20 (starting in 1988) did those 2 teams have the window?  Or are you referring to the 50's for the Celtics and the 80's for the Lakers?  Not in the last 20 years I'm afraid.

Something similar was brought up on local sports radio yesterday that the Lakers and Spurs, right now, are kind of battling for team of the decade.  Not to put any added pressure onto this series.  If the Lakers go on to win and have a chance to win a few more, teamed up with their 3peat at the start of the 2000s, they would probably be picked as the team of the decade.  If the Spurs go on to win that would be 5 titles, one back to back, and would solidfy them as the team of the decade.  They had a bunch of people chime in, including Spurs great George Gervin, and everyone was pretty much in agreement.

IMO just to say if the Lakers go on to win and the Spurs don't I don't see why there couldn't be TWO teams for the 2000s much the same there was two teams (Celtics, Lakers) in the 80s.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 10:27:22 AM »
yes two teams is cool, Spurs and Lakers
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 10:33:22 AM »

You are correct, but why the 20 year windo limit?  It was the 60's Celtics actually.  The 80's Lakers back to back titles do fall withing the 20 year window.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 10:42:32 AM »

You are correct, but why the 20 year windo limit?  It was the 60's Celtics actually.  The 80's Lakers back to back titles do fall withing the 20 year window.

2 reasons:

1) It removed the two givens: Lakers and Celtics.

2) It narrowed it down to the "modern" era where there has been more teams and what is generally accepted as more parity.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
Big time contributions from the Spurs bench (sans Barrdog).

sans Barrdog?  That is just a stupid comment!  How could the Spurs possibly win without Barrdog?  Like I said, STUPID with a capitol R!
Two out of three titles with Barrdog and now going for 3 of 4, yes it may come down to 7 games series with the 'Dawg out or playing very limited minutes.  But we saw Findawg step it up yet again in Barrdawgs absense. ;)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 11:11:01 AM »
2) It narrowed it down to the "modern" era where there has been more teams and what is generally accepted as more parity.

The modern era actually began in the 80's when strength training became part of the basketball world, late 80's actually plus you also saw medical technique that allowed players to actually come back from what were considered career ending injuries just a few years earlier.  The 2nd worst "parity" was durring the 90's, part of your window, when far too many expansion teams wattered down the league so I don't agree on that point either.  IMO the 80's was the era with the most parity since it seemed almost every team had at least two all-star caliber players on the roster, the problem was the Lakers, Celtics and Sixers seemed to have 3 or 4 on their rosters.  Even the 00's has shown the lack of parity with two all-stars on a team dominating like the Lakers and Spurs.  I think the last couple of years has seen the sprinkling of talent on more teams so it is getting better as the WC playoff race showed this year.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 11:15:11 AM »
Spurs win vaults them into all time discussions and secures legacy.  Repeat, somewhat evens up the series with Lakers, etc etc.

Loss and the Laker squakers can claim Phils near ownage of head to head with Poppycock ('99 Spurs title was not over Phildog but rather Deldog), no repeat.  Spurs will go down as a very good team but left out of all time talks.

Yes, Spurs need to repeat.  This will most def trump the Snac-Kobe-Refs triad at the start of the decade.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 11:20:34 AM »
Spurs win vaults them into all time discussions and secures legacy.  Repeat, somewhat evens up the series with Lakers, etc etc.

Loss and the Laker squakers can claim Phils near ownage of head to head with Poppycock ('99 Spurs title was not over Phildog but rather Deldog), no repeat.  Spurs will go down as a very good team but left out of all time talks.

Yes, Spurs need to repeat.  This will most def trump the Snac-Kobe-Refs triad at the start of the decade.

I thought what happened against the Suns last year did that?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
^ in a lot of peoples minds, yes.
A Spurs title this year tho will deprogram millions more.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 11:24:56 AM »

Agreed, if the Spurs repeat they will be the team of the decade despite the collusion gift vs the Suns last year.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"