Author Topic: As the competition gets tighter who will stand up?  (Read 872 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
As the competition gets tighter who will stand up?
« on: April 05, 2008, 09:13:28 AM »
It's clear from the standings who's playing hard and is ready to get into the playoffs and who is mailing it in, or is simply unable to compete.

All you need to do is see how well the team is doing over it's past 10 games.  If you are in a neck and neck race with other teams- which is the way it is in the NBA, you know the only way to ensure a spot is to keep winning and have a better record.

Teams that are playing under .500 ball regardless of their position at this time of year, should not be taken seriously. 

WC playoff teams at or below .500 over their last 10:

Dallas 4-6
Golden State 5-5
Houston 5-5

This shows that Golden State is not good enough this year, and that Dallas is in real trouble. One of these teams still has time to step up, but even if they do get in, it's hard to imagine them contending against the teams that are playing well.

WC playoff teams above .500
New Orleans 9-1  About as good as it gets.
San Antonio 8-2  Even with the loss to Utah, this shows the Spurs are playing well.  It should be a concern when you're playing at the top of your game and you get blown out, however.
LA Lakers   7-3
Utah          7-3
Phoenix      7-3
Denver       7-3  Denver may be waay back in the pack, but they're doing what they need to to stay in.  If I was them, I wouldn't want to match up with SA in the first round.  Then again, who is an easy match-up?

In the East, every team in contention is picking it up, except for Cleveland:

In order from the top:

Boston 8-2  They can go on cruise control now, they pretty much have everything sewn up in terms of home court one or two more wins and they can shut it down, they are 7 games ahead of the best of the West.
Detroit 7-3 Taking care of bus. and resting starters.  Can't catch Boston, won't be caught by Orlando.
Orlando 6-4 A young team rounding into playoff shape.
Cleveland 5-5 last year's finalists are not playing well, good teams are taking them out.  They better do something quick or Cavs fans will be very disappointed.
Philadelphia 7-3 Hoping to catch Cleveland, intent on keeping 5th seed or better.
Washington 6-4 Working Arenas back into the line-up. I expect them to get better over the last few games.  Will be a tough out for Orlando if seedings stay.
Toronto 4-6 Faltering badly, even now that Bosh is back.  Not as familiar with the team as I could be, but they will have to play better to take out Detroit.
Atlanta 7-3 Best of the worst, they are still trying to clinch the 8th spot so they can get beaten out of the playoffs by Boston.  Indiana is 3 games behind and is also 7-3.  If Philly beats Atlanta tonight, the Hawks will be in reach.  Of course, the Sixers play Indiana as well so they're not going to give that much help.