Author Topic: Philly gets a taste of what to expect in the playoffs.  (Read 725 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Philly gets a taste of what to expect in the playoffs.
« on: March 21, 2008, 11:17:18 PM »
Now that Philly is on the radar the Magic showed Philly what to expect in the playoffs.  I was real interested to see what would happen in this game.  I posted earlier that now that Philly has beaten some quality teams they are being talked about and nobody is going to over look than and "not get up" to play them.  When Philly opponents actually prepare to face the Sixers, like the Magic did tonight, you can expect more loses to the superior teams in the East.  This is what IMO the Sixers will face in the playoffs.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Philly gets a taste of what to expect in the playoffs.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 11:33:43 AM »
I know that Orlando was up for the game, I expected the Sixers to be as well, but they didn't play that way.  In fact, they looked very unprepared for the Magic's Mickey Mouse offense, with shooters standing at the three point line, cutters looking to drive and score, kick back out for a three or to find Howard.  They did a much better job of controlling the Magic the last time they played.

The Sixers couldn't hit a shot, the Magic kept them from running and the refs gave them an assist by calling charging fouls on them whenever they did manage a fast break.  Considering how the Magic were shooting from the outside, they really didn't need the help.

Cheeks also insists on not playing with height.  Dalembert got into foul trouble early, and Cheeks tried playing with Reggie Evans as the Center.  It's just plain stupid and unceccesary.  He eventually went to Calvin Booth, which is even worse, a 7 footer who just can't play.  Why he didn't put Jason Smith in, until much later, I'll never understand.  Particularly when Shavlik Randolph was given some minutes in garbage time and demonstrated some low post ability.

The Sixers outscored the Magic, once their reserves went in against the Sixers. I think I would have rather seen Jason Smith and Shavlik Randolph start than see Sam Dalembert and Reggie Evans.  This way, even if they can't defend very well, at least we could use them to score on the other end.

The absence of a post presence enabled the Magic to use Hedo Turkogolu to great effect, the Sixers couldn't keep anyone in front of him, and he was able to drive the lane all night.

The only good thing is that it is over, and the Sixers are back in their own building to play the Nets.  In order to keep close to the Wizards and the Raptors they really need a victory tonight, especially since they face Boston on Monday.

And, I hope this serves as a wake-up call to the Sixers, they could have been much better prepared and focused than they were.