Author Topic: Kurt Thomas to Spurs  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kurt Thomas to Spurs
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 02:12:55 PM »
Desperation move by the Spurs to keep up with the Suns.  It won't work. 

Now that I have cleaned up my keyboard..

Rick...how does a 36 year old, 20 min/game starting center put the Suns over the top? 

And signing a 35 year old, 20 min/game backup PF is desparation that won't work?

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 02:21:11 PM »
I think that it's funny that Phoenix's off-season move was:

Phoenix:  trades away two draft picks and Kurt Thomas
             pays less luxury tax

San An:  trades away a draft pick
             gets Kurt Thomas

Seattle:  gets three draft picks

Is there any doubt about which team made the WORST move?

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 02:27:46 PM »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 02:33:53 PM »
I think that it's funny that Phoenix's off-season move was:

Phoenix:  trades away two draft picks and Kurt Thomas
             pays less luxury tax

San An:  trades away a draft pick
             gets Kurt Thomas

Seattle:  gets three draft picks

Is there any doubt about which team made the WORST move?

And SA goes under the tax threshhold to share in the rebate.  A $2-3 million swing towards profit for a small market team is big.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 02:43:09 PM »

Wow, Rick -- this has got to be the dumbest statement you have made since making your "reality" statement of declaring Dalembert as a All-Star center.

I'm not sure why you are suddenly sooo in love with Shaq -- it hasn't been that long since you loathed him.  I suppose it has something to do with the color of uniforms -- I know your assessment of players who play for the Sixers has been way off base but I'm surprised that you put such a high belief that just garnering Shaq gives the Suns a championship.

I don't believe the Suns, even with Shaq, can beat the Spurs or the Lakers (and perhaps not even the Hornets).  And that is IF Shaq can stay healthy -- history tells us that he can't.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 03:20:38 PM »
I have been consistently behind the Big Aristotle since he had his fallout with the LA hierarchy.  I said it was a mistake for LA to trade him, and I think that statement was vindicated by his winning a Championship in Miami.

Miami clearly had problems - the team was cobbled together for a one year run, and they were lucky to win that year.  Shaq and Wade could not make up for the disintegrating talent in Miami, and it doesn't look like Miami will be able to turn things around soon enough for an ageing O'Neil.

It was a great move for Shaq and gives him the opportunity to win a Championship with a third franchise. There are no guarantees, but this was a smart and necessary move by the Suns.  And it was definitely in response to getting beat by the Spurs last season.

Shaq gives the Suns an inside presence, which means everything in the playoffs.  Whether it works or not, depends on the Suns ability to play defense.  But most teams won't be able to rebound with them or outwork them in the low post, an advantage the Suns didn't have before.

Kurt Thomas isn't going to give them much more than the Spurs gave up.  Kurt's a little tougher, but he's not going to stand up to Shaq.  Nobody in the NBA wants to hold back a 300 lb. man.

Keep doubting the big man.  He keeps coming through.  If the Suns don't win it this year, it won't be because of Shaq.  If they do win, you will know who the difference maker was.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 03:27:32 PM »
I have been consistently behind the Big Aristotle since he had his fallout with the LA hierarchy.  I said it was a mistake for LA to trade him, and I think that statement was vindicated by his winning a Championship in Miami.

Miami clearly had problems - the team was cobbled together for a one year run, and they were lucky to win that year.  Shaq and Wade could not make up for the disintegrating talent in Miami, and it doesn't look like Miami will be able to turn things around soon enough for an ageing O'Neil.

It was a great move for Shaq and gives him the opportunity to win a Championship with a third franchise. There are no guarantees, but this was a smart and necessary move by the Suns.  And it was definitely in response to getting beat by the Spurs last season.

Shaq gives the Suns an inside presence, which means everything in the playoffs.  Whether it works or not, depends on the Suns ability to play defense.  But most teams won't be able to rebound with them or outwork them in the low post, an advantage the Suns didn't have before.

Kurt Thomas isn't going to give them much more than the Spurs gave up.  Kurt's a little tougher, but he's not going to stand up to Shaq.  Nobody in the NBA wants to hold back a 300 lb. man.

Keep doubting the big man.  He keeps coming through.  If the Suns don't win it this year, it won't be because of Shaq.  If they do win, you will know who the difference maker was.

LOL @ the whole first part...no need to address it, just laugh.  A point could be made that moving him was vindicated when Wade put the squad on his back to get to the finals....but why beat a dead horse?

However that's not the funniest part of this post.  The funniest part is that 'no one is going to be able to rebound with them or outwork them in the low post'

You honestly believe that?  Shaq will grab as many rebounds as Marion did.  Which doesnt improve their rebounding.  They stand still.  They were not one of the best rebounding teams in the league in that department.  I don't see them shooting to 1 because of the addition of a player who is going to play 20 minutes a game.  Unless Shaq grabs 15 rebounds a night they are not going to move up to the top in that spot.  They were 23rd in rebounding in the league when Marion is there.  Dead last in offensive rebounding.   You think they are going to hit #1?  You know what's funny is you called the Spurs move desperate but the Sonics were the #1 rebounding team in the league led by who? Kurt Thomas.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 03:36:12 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
Reality should start calling Rick Minnie Me
Dan

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 09:22:54 PM »
Don't forget guys that the Sonics are set on moving to OKC soon, That's what the owner has wanted from the start, They will want to clean out for a fresh start as quickly as possible.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 11:26:41 PM »
Don't forget guys that the Sonics are set on moving to OKC soon, That's what the owner has wanted from the start, They will want to clean out for a fresh start as quickly as possible.

The Sonics have REALLY loaded up on the draft picks -- the Grizz could really take some pointers in what the Sonics have accomplished through their trades (okay, in addition to the stupidity of the Phoenix Suns).  The Sonics are going to be able to land a lot of young talent in the next few years to join Durant and Green.  It should add a lot of excitement to Oklahoma City when they move!

Oh, and Mayor Nichols is an IDIOT!!!  It's one thing to say "we aren't going to build you a stadium" -- I really think that ALL owners should be required to pay for a percentage of the arena.  It's ridiculous to think that the public should spend a ton of tax money to build a stadium just so they can pay $50 to sit in the cheapest seats in the house (in addition to $20 for parking).  It doesn't sit well when the owner in a millionaire and most of the owners are making a profit.  However, Nichols hasn't even tried to make this work for the Sonics and he has read the climate wrong -- Seattle WILL be sorry when the Sonics leave and it will be a LONGGGG time before they get another NBA team.  Nichols didn't try to do anything to try and get the owners to stay -- just the opposite by trying to do anything he could to make them angry.  This will come back to bite him.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 06:13:56 AM »
Great start by Thomas and looks like he will be a continued fit for the playoffs, Spurs Style.

Non spectacular but very solid 9 boards in only 13 minutes.  Also ran the pick n roll a few times and stayed on the floor at the 4/5 as Tim Dunkar rested.  More of a banger and paint patroller which allowed Bob Horry to be more effective as a floater.  Great combo.

Tim Thomas, role player.  We salute you.