Author Topic: OWNAGE in Phoenix!  (Read 1740 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
OWNAGE in Phoenix!
« on: February 20, 2008, 11:45:26 PM »
Kobe OWNS!
Amare OWNS!
Gasol OWNS!

And yes Shaq can still OWN!

What a great game.  Looks like Shaq is giving the Suns exactly what they expected and needed.  Big body that DEMANDS attention in the paint on BOTH ends of the court. 

Spurs better watch out because if the Suns show up in SA with those same 3rd quarter refs they will OWN the Spurs!  ;)
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Re: OWNAGE in Phoenix!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 12:22:34 AM »
Great statement game by LA, withstood several runs by the Suns, Barbosa kills in the open court. Kobe Bryant is absolutely UNGUARDABLE! I love the way he and Gasol are playing together, that fast break Kobe feed to Pau coming down the lane in the 4th was beautiful to watch. And Sasha's becoming more of an outside threat that must be accounted for every single game. Sloppy defense but at least you know LA can outscore the most potent offense in the league.

Fun game to watch, I wanted a blowout but this was nice too, LA never got rattled and their second unit is scary fast.

Shaq definately had an impact in the second half, looked like he settled down, but man his defense is suspect, I think that will haunt the Suns.
Dan

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 12:43:31 AM »
It was a great game -- I really enjoyed the way the teams played each other.  This Lakers offense is just EXCITING to watch.  They really showed their need for Bynum's defensive presence in the lane -- closest thing they have without him is Turiaf.

I can't believe how much Shaq's conditioning has changed in such a short time -- call me wrong on that (I want to post another thread on this subject so I will save some my comments for that thread).  I still don't think he can stay healthy -- you can only go up and down, up and down with your weight so many times before your body says "that's enough."  However, it will be fun to watch the Spurs.  Shaq is still a great passer -- that will help the Suns as well.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 02:02:55 PM »
I watched the game last night, and thought it was an awesome game, as well.

Gasol is EXACTLY what the Lakers have been missing.

Shaq MIGHT BE exactly what the Suns have been missing, although he only showed glimpses of it in the second half of the game last night.

Incredible game, and shaping up to be a great rivalry.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 02:47:40 PM »
This game showed some HUGE problems for the Lakers -- 2 areas:
1)  Defensive post presence (actually the lack of it)
2)  Rebounding -- without Bynum, the Lakers aren't good enough in the rebound department

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 04:33:48 PM »
This game showed some HUGE problems for the Lakers -- 2 areas:
1)  Defensive post presence (actually the lack of it)
2)  Rebounding -- without Bynum, the Lakers aren't good enough in the rebound department

I mentioned this in the thread about Gasol.  Gasol is very Euro-soft.  He does not like to bang and it is most evident on the defensive boards.  I don't know how far the Lakers can go relying on Odom and Turiaf to grabe those tough and sometimes critical "traffic" rebounds. 

Bynum should help with, and maybe even erase, those problems.  The Lakers need Ariza back as well, they need more blue collar work horses.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 11:48:52 PM »
Agreed, WOW -- we need Ariza back.  From everything I hear, Ariza WILL be back for the playoffs. 

Isn't it amazing what the Lakers squad looks like at this point?
  PG - Derek Fisher, Jordan Farmar
  SG - Kobe Bryant, Sasha Vujacic, Coby Karl
  SF - Lamar Odom, Trevor Ariza, Luke Walton
  PF - Pau Gasol, Vladimir Radmanovic
  C  - Andrew Bynum, Ronny Turiaf, Chris Mihm, DJ Mbenga

Wow, the depth is astounding.  I would like a little more depth in the frontcourt but if Bynum is healthy, it's probably a moot point. 

Offline atom2030

• AOL Instant Messenger - atom2030
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tomp22000
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 03:36:08 AM »
well, this was GAME 1 of the the Shaq aera in Phoenix, not the final game, the FIRST game.
nobody had expected they would be clicking right away, so the outcome must make the Suns feeling pretty good, right?

And while the Lakers are for sure this season, let's not get carried away by their depth. it's not like their backups are a 2nd starting five, i'm not sure there are good teams in the league where ANY of Farmar, Vujacic, Walton, Radman or Turiaf would come close to a starting job. But they are young, they have energy, and they play great in limited minutes, nothing more you can ask.

And the Lakers will go as far as Black Mamba can carry them. No further.
===============================
Felix Skydivers '13
In honor of Felix Baumgartners adventures
... and not just because he's Austrian too

xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 10:18:40 AM »
well, this was GAME 1 of the the Shaq aera in Phoenix, not the final game, the FIRST game.
nobody had expected they would be clicking right away, so the outcome must make the Suns feeling pretty good, right?

And while the Lakers are for sure this season, let's not get carried away by their depth. it's not like their backups are a 2nd starting five, i'm not sure there are good teams in the league where ANY of Farmar, Vujacic, Walton, Radman or Turiaf would come close to a starting job. But they are young, they have energy, and they play great in limited minutes, nothing more you can ask.

They do have one of the best benches in the league.  While their second unit is not a starting 5 they get it done.  I think they are top 5 bench in the league when it comes to points.

Farmar could be a starter on another team.  He is a better point guard then say who Orlando has running the point.  I'd take Farmar over Jason Williams as well.    This year's Walton is not a starter but last years there was plenty of people who would want him on the floor.  The rest I agree with though.  Turiaf is the perfect bench player.  I don't think you start a guy with that much energy.  You def bring him off the bench
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 11:14:28 AM »

Did not expect the Suns to play perfect BUT they were expected to play inspired, especially Shaq.  They did and they STILL lost.  I do expect them to get better, unlike most around here I think this was a great move for the Suns.  There is no way the Suns where going to win the West unless the stars aligned perfectly, it was NOT under the Suns control to win the West.  They would have to hope for favorable matchups and for their problem matchups to take each other out.  Now with Shaq they have control of their own destiny.  They went for have a 0 shot to win the West to having a glimmer of hope.  We shall so how the seedings work out, there is not way anyone can predict which teams will be in the playoffs let alone the seedings.

How many backups in the league can actually be starters?  Manu is the only guy that comes to mind.  The Lakers have the best bench in the league hands down.

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"