Author Topic: Best players in the NBA according to Jerry West  (Read 1537 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Best players in the NBA according to Jerry West
« on: February 20, 2008, 12:05:35 PM »
When Jerry was asked who he thought was the best player in the NBA, it was a follow up question about comparrisons between Kobe and LeBron, he answered there were 5.

TD was the first guy he mentioned.  Great basket ball player and a great person.  TD doesn't get busted in Colorado messing around with gold digging bimbos, actually what Jerry said was TD doesn't attract attention to himself.  IMO it sounded like TD is the player Jerry most covets.  Called him a perfect team mate.

Next guy he mentioned was Nash.  IMO Jerry admires him the most because he does everything he does without the talent/physical gifts that all the other guys on the list have.  Nash does it with skills, heart and brain power.

Kobe and LeBron were kind of intermingled next.  Kobe is the best player in the game and drives his team mates.  Kobe the killer is on the entire game.  LeBron is not in killer mode the entire game but Jerry said he is a killer in the 4th quarter.  Jerry thinks LeBron could surpass everyone if he works on it, Jerry has never seen a combo of size, strength and skills like LeBron.

Last guy he mentioned was KG, everything he likes about TD he likes about KG. 

Jerry said he knew other players might feel slighted but those 5 guys were the best of the best in his opinion.

Can't say I disagree, given the choice of drafting these guys as rookies, I would take TD, KG, Kobe, LeBron and Nash in that order.  I am trying to think of a player in their era I would take ahead of them.  I would take Shaq ahead of all of them and try and figure out how to keep him motivated, but other than Shaq those guys are solid.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best players in the NBA according to Jerry West
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 12:27:40 PM »
Is there a link or did Jerry come to you in a dream or?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 12:30:37 PM »

He had an interview on FSN after the game last night.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 12:54:32 PM »

He had an interview on FSN after the game last night.

I guess Reality's "inside source" doesn't have a TV.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 01:03:05 PM »
Either that or I don't watch FSN Laker post game religiously.
My inside sources do tell me what you dream about tho. 

Pretty good list, I always wonder how those who dogmatically call Kobe the "best in the NBA" figure he is better then Tim Dunks or KG but we've discussed that just a little bit.  Your draft list has TD KG so its all good.  I think most know 'Bron passed Kobe last year or the year(s) before but certainly this year but, the Kobster has a golden opportunity with Gasol and Bynum this year.  I am on standby grieving counseling if his pinkie crashes.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 01:14:27 PM »
Either that or I don't watch FSN Laker post game religiously.
My inside sources do tell me what you dream about tho. 

Pretty good list, I always wonder how those who dogmatically call Kobe the "best in the NBA" figure he is better then Tim Dunks or KG but we've discussed that just a little bit.  Your draft list has TD KG so its all good.  I think most know 'Bron passed Kobe last year or the year(s) before but certainly this year but, the Kobster has a golden opportunity with Gasol and Bynum this year.  I am on standby grieving counseling if his pinkie crashes.

IMO Kobe is the best player in the NBA but like we've said over and over again you start with a big man.  LeBron is not better than Kobe, don't know what makes people think that since it's obvious LeBron doesn't play both ends of the court full time.  LeBron does have the potential to be better than Kobe because of LeBrons physical gifts, what King James needs now is the mental decipline to surpass Kobe and, dare I say, MJ.

Last year looked like a fluke, especially since the Spurs owned them in the finals.  Unfortunately LeBron has not had the opportunity to prove othewise this year since his team has been fighting injuries all season.  Too bad Kidd didn't end up on the Cavs and give Bron a shot at returning to the finals.

Save your grieving for the playoffs, that is unless you're gonna jump off the Spurs bandwagon.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 01:25:34 PM »
IMO Kobe is the best player in the NBA but like we've said over and over again you start with a big man. 
So you don't start with the best player.  :D
Thus the big man is better.  Simple.

LeBron is not better than Kobe, don't know what makes people think that since it's obvious LeBron doesn't play both ends of the court full time.
  One of my inside sources said the same thing about Kobe.  Tex Winters.
People base it on what Lebron can do for his teams overall success, not individual stats.  Also the last two Cavs Lakers matchups, altho two games are certainly not the whole picture.

Save your grieving for the playoffs, that is unless you're gonna jump off the Spurs bandwagon.
duly bookmarked.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 01:45:37 PM »
So you don't start with the best player.  :D
Thus the big man is better.  Simple.

I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain the game of basketball to you but YES, I would not start with the best if the best is NOT a big man.  MJ was clearly better than guys like Kareem, Dream and TD but I would take all three ahead of MJ because winning basketball starts and ends in the post.  Roll a ball onto a court and MJ/Kobe would destroy those guys.

People base it on what Lebron can do for his teams overall success, not individual stats.  Also the last two Cavs Lakers matchups, altho two games are certainly not the whole picture.

Who are these people?  Can you back up your claims?  Defense and intensity is NOT a stat, I know if I get into stuff like that you get lost since you can't look it up in a box score.  Kobe has 3 rings, how many does Bron have?  If you are using "teams overall success" as a criteria then DWade is CLEARLY better than LeBron, I don't think too many people would agree with you there.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 01:57:56 PM »
Not to fully jump in here but Tex Winters said he'd like to see Kobe focus in more on the defensive end but he also said hes the best player in the league.  Said Lebron lacks the killer instinct that seperates Kobe from himself.  Lebron agreed as he made a similar comment in the off-season as well.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 02:00:08 PM »
  Roll a ball onto a court and MJ/Kobe would destroy those guys.
MJ much better then Kobe.

Who are these people?  Can you back up your claims?  Defense and intensity is NOT a stat, I know if I get into stuff like that you get lost since you can't look it up in a box score.
Winter also admits that Bryant abandons aspects of the triangle offense with some regularity. But that's not Winter's main complaint with the guard:

"I'd like to see him play better defense," Winter said, adding that he had addressed the issue recently with Bryant but didn't come away with the idea that Bryant was intent on changing his approach.

"You know Kobe," Winter said with a chuckle. "He has his game plan. I think he heard me. But he feels there's a certain way he's got to play the game. But it doesn't involve a lot of basically sound defense."

Because the Lakers need so much of his effort at the offensive end, Bryant has adopted a save-energy plan on the defensive end, Winter said. "He's basically playing a lot of one-man zone. He's doing a lot of switching, zoning up, trying to come up with the interception.

"The way Kobe plays defensively affects the team," Winter added. "Anybody that doesn't play consistently good defense hurts the team. That's not only Kobe. Our other guards tend to gamble and get beat. Another problem is that the screen and roll is not played correctly."

owned.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 02:05:26 PM »
Winter also admits that Bryant abandons aspects of the triangle offense with some regularity. But that's not Winter's main complaint with the guard:

"I'd like to see him play better defense," Winter said, adding that he had addressed the issue recently with Bryant but didn't come away with the idea that Bryant was intent on changing his approach.

"You know Kobe," Winter said with a chuckle. "He has his game plan. I think he heard me. But he feels there's a certain way he's got to play the game. But it doesn't involve a lot of basically sound defense."

Because the Lakers need so much of his effort at the offensive end, Bryant has adopted a save-energy plan on the defensive end, Winter said. "He's basically playing a lot of one-man zone. He's doing a lot of switching, zoning up, trying to come up with the interception.

"The way Kobe plays defensively affects the team," Winter added. "Anybody that doesn't play consistently good defense hurts the team. That's not only Kobe. Our other guards tend to gamble and get beat. Another problem is that the screen and roll is not played correctly."

owned.

LOL.  Owned what?  I asked for you to back up your claims about LeBron being better than Kobe. 

As ALWAYS you run away from the point and try to create something that we were no debating.  Did you notice I didn't question your comments about Tex?  I know what Tex has said and STILL says about Kobe.

So sad.  How many times are you going to get owned around here?  ::)
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 04:17:34 PM »

Who are these people?  Can you back up your claims?  Defense and intensity is NOT a stat, I know if I get into stuff like that you get lost since you can't look it up in a box score.  Kobe has 3 rings, how many does Bron have?  If you are using "teams overall success" as a criteria then DWade is CLEARLY better than LeBron, I don't think too many people would agree with you there.
Tex was a direct quote.  If you doubt it, oh well.
As to "people" in general thinking Lebron is better then Kobes, some do, some don't. 
Lebron was in high school when Kobme was third option to Shaq and the refs for his two titles, so can that crap now.
Love how you Lakers denigrate Shaqs title at Miami but when Kobe was sidekick at LA its different.
owned.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 04:26:31 PM »
Tex was a direct quote.  If you doubt it, oh well.

LOL, I already said I don't disagree here.  Keep spinning for your wanna-be owned.

As to "people" in general thinking Lebron is better then Kobes, some do, some don't. 
Lebron was in high school when Kobme was third option to Shaq and the refs for his two titles, so can that crap now.

So now it's "some"?  Thank you, owned.
Third option?  LOL, owned again.

Love how you Lakers denigrate Shaqs title at Miami but when Kobe was sidekick at LA its different.
owned.

Didn't realize the Heat put the ball in Shaq's hands in the 4th when the game is on the line because Wade is such a liability at the FT line.  Complete OWNAGE!

Love how owned has become a big part of your life.  Gotta love 10 year olds on Halo 3!

Get a clue when it comes to discussing b-ball with me you nube!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"