Author Topic: Crap! Sixers beat the Mavericks.  (Read 998 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Crap! Sixers beat the Mavericks.
« on: February 11, 2008, 09:59:56 PM »
They actually outplayed the Mavericks, pressuring them and clamping down on defense. They also executed well in their half-court offense, although the Mavs aren't known for their D.

At any rate that's 4 in a row with one game left before the all-star break.  It's a good thing New Jersey has been winning too, Sixers are still in 9th place.

Not sure how to take this.  Are the Mavericks really that good a team, or did New Jersey make them tired enough that the Sixers could outhustle them?

Until the NJ game, Dallas was one of the hottest teams in the league. But in the last two days Dallas has lost to two poor record EC teams.

Now, we'll have to wait until after the all star break before we get to see the Sixers play a good team.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Crap! Sixers beat the Mavericks.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 09:59:35 AM »
Props to the Sixers.  I didn't get to see the game but when a team pulls out a win against a stronger opponent it warrants some props. 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 11:04:16 AM »
I enjoy watching a team like the Sixers play hard -- young players that go out and play hard day in and day out (okay, strike Dalembert from the list of Sixer players who play hard day in and day out).  I'd have a little caution before getting too excited Rick -- the Nets blew out the Mavs the night before.  I think the Mavs are a little "disappointed" by not adding anyone to upgrade their team.  I'm still not sure that they have gotten over the "shell-shock" of getting beat by the Warriors last year.  I don't think Dirk has as much confidence in his game this year as he has had in the past.  I think Howard has been their best player this year. 

Why aren't the Sixers shopping Giricek for future draft picks?  It doesn't look as if they are interested in using him so why don't they see what they can get for him?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 11:42:44 AM »
I'm still not sure that they have gotten over the "shell-shock" of getting beat by the Warriors last year.  I don't think Dirk has as much confidence in his game this year as he has had in the past.

I don't think the Mavs have gotten over their collapse against the Heat two years ago.  Seems like that type of hardship can send you in two opposite directions, either makes you stronger or destroys you.  Looks like the Mavs have a mental block when it comes to the playoffs, then again the Warriors would probably have beaten anyone in the first round the way they were shooting and the way the balls were bouncing.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 12:28:56 PM »
Until the NJ and Philly games, Dallas was doing fine.  They were playing the tail end of a back to back, and they had 3 players out, Dampier, Stackhouse and Devin Harris.

So the Sixers won, under ideal conditions for them, and unfavorable ones for Dallas.  They won, but Dallas couldn't give them their best shot.

It means more than the wins over the bad teams, but not enough to suggest the Sixers need to be reckoned with.  They're just a young team that works hard, tries to defend and run.  They can't defend against a team with a low-post game and against a team that really defends- well, I'm waiting for anther game against a good team to see.

They are entertaining to watch, but I'm under no illusion about their abilities.  It is annoying to look at the fans thoughts at the Inquirer web site.  People are talking about the playoffs again and how they don't care about a lottery pick.  This team can't compete with Detroit or Boston, they can't even beat Toronto, or at least the couldn't!

Their schedule gets tougher again after the all star break.  March will determine the Sixers season, half the games are against decent teams and they will be lucky to play .500 ball.  If they do better than that, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

The one thing is, they've turned the corner.  They now think they can win and everyone wants to play hard and try.  They have a formula for winning now, push the ball at all times, and try to force turnovers.  Fun to watch, but they still haven't proven they're a good team.