Author Topic: Spurs and trade deadline  (Read 819 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs and trade deadline
« on: February 06, 2008, 09:52:49 AM »
Since they won't be given nor do they want any corrupt Collusion gifts, prefering instead as they always have to earn any legit championships, will the Spurs be active before the trade deadline?

One such rumor is Brent Barrdog to Memphis for Mike Miller.  Again the Spurs won't be handed Miller for draft pics, so what are the pros and cons?
Pros:  Miller is shooting at a Barrdog like pace of adj fg% .601
He is also snapping down 6.7 boards a  game.
Is only 27.  Barrdogs contract is expiring.

Cons
Contract goes up to 9 mil and runs thru 2009-10
Like Barrdog, can play SF but is really more a strictly SG.  Cannot play pg like SuperBarry can.
Spurs have the best in the NBA already at SG, so can Miller play SF?  We also already have Michael Finley there, who while he currently sucks as Lurker accurately predicted turned it on in the playoffs last year.

Pop:
INDIANAPOLIS ? Last year around this time, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich gathered his slumping team together and offered it a pick-me-up.  He promised his players that the Spurs team before him that day would be the Spurs team that would finish the season. There would be no major trades or free-agent signings.  It was a seminal moment of the Spurs? championship drive, designed to put players at ease and prod them to figure out their problems together.
As the trade deadline looms this year, Popovich doesn?t plan on proffering a reprise.

?I haven?t made that statement,? Popovich said. ?That means probably anything can happen.?
Not even the addition of veteran guard Damon Stoudamire, signed earlier this week, is enough to spur Popovich to declare a freeze on the status quo. Between now and the Feb. 21 trade deadline, the Spurs plan to evaluate their needs and determine if a move makes sense.

?That deadline makes every team assess themselves, to see if there is something you can do to make your team better,? Popovich said. ?We?ll do that, just like everyone else. Our team wants us to do that; the public wants us to do that. They?re doing that on 30 teams in the NBA right now.?
But just because a trade is possible doesn?t mean it is probable.

?If we don?t see anything we think will help us, we won?t do it,? Popovich said, ?But I?m not prepared to say, like I did last year at this point, there will be no trade.?
Jeff McDonald
Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA020608.04C.BKNspurs.notebook.3c71739.html

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Spurs and trade deadline
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 10:21:10 AM »
Since they won't be given nor do they want any corrupt Collusion gifts, prefering instead as they always have to earn any legit championships, will the Spurs be active before the trade deadline?

The Spurs didn't have a problem taking the collusion gift of the Suns suspensions and series win last year on their way to an ill-legit title.  YAWN.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"