Author Topic: Shoud the Heat trade Shaq, rebuild?  (Read 6677 times)

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Shoud the Heat trade Shaq, rebuild?
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2008, 04:38:11 PM »
This from the guys who one and all in 2005 said Shaq and Miamis EC Finals 7 games vs Detroit meant nothing because they did not win the title.  And "titles were all that counted".  Now you all rejoice at Shraqs downfall and claim even if he had claimed another title in LaLa you wouldn't have wanted it. :D 
Please.
Planet Purple n Golden vision.

No what I said, or at least what I meant, was that signing Shaq to an extension wasn't worth the chance to win maybe one more, b/c I honestly didn't believe there was a chance w/Shaq.  Shaq had phoned it in against Detroit.  He absolutely gave up.  Ben Wallace dominated Shaq on the boards in that series.  At that point, I realized he was done trying in LA so I didn't want him around anymore.  If he would have had a work ethic, of course I would have wanted LA to win more titles with him.  I believe that team could have easily won two more titles together had it not been for Shaq's lack of a work ethic.  It's sad when you think about it, at least if your a Laker fan  ;)

Anywho will Shaq accept a Miami buyout offer and if so how much below 100%?  (if any)

No, never, not in a million years will he reduce his salary.  He will sit on his phat arse and collect his remaining contract.  Bookmark this thread and shove it down my throat if he does otherwise.  It doesn't take Nostradamus to predict how that's going to play out.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2008, 04:44:48 PM »

Actually I think it was 1) Dallas choke job; 2) officiating gifts; 3) Shaq.

;) touche!  Athough I'd maybe bump it to: 1) Dallas choke job; 2) officiating gifts; 3) Wade.

The announcers touched on a scenario last night that IMO could bring Miami another title.  It does depend on a few "miracles" to work.  First the Heat would need one of the top 2-3 picks in this draft.  Second is that Wade must get back to 100%...last night there were several instances of Wade grimacing after driving into the lane.  Third Riley has to get Shaq to buy into the belief that ***key point*** the best way Shaq can help the team is to be a 20-25 minute a game center that focuses on defense and rebounding.  The third point can actually be the hardest...or the easiest.  A healthy Shaq could put up 16/9 in limited minutes.  Blount & Haslem along with Shaq could be a servicable center/forward rotation.  Another scorer from the draft to compliment Wade could make the Heat a serious challenger in the East.  And if they were to return to the finals...well, as a couple years ago showed, anything can happen.

Anything is possible I suppose.  But if a bruised hip is going to sideline Shaq for a half of a season ... I think we'll be waiting a long time before we see him play anywhere near a full season at a halfway decent level. 

When does Haslem's contract expire?  I'd love to see the Lakers waive some of the cap space dollars they'll have his way when Kwame's contract expires (yes!).  I think he'd be a great fit for the Lakers.  God that felt good to type ... when Kwame's contract expires ... oh yeah. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2008, 12:24:50 AM »
No, never, not in a million years will he reduce his salary.  He will sit on his phat arse and collect his remaining contract.  Bookmark this thread and shove it down my throat if he does otherwise.  It doesn't take Nostradamus to predict how that's going to play out.
Early reviews have Nostrildamus being right.
Miami Heat center Shaquille O'Neal told ESPN Radio's Jack Ramsay that he has no plans to retire before his contract expires at the end of the 2009-10 season.

"I am the son of an army drill sergeant, and when we enlist, we go full-term," O'Neal said. "So I've got two years left on my term, and after that, I'll be looking to do other things.''

Shaq said his weight is between 315 and 320 pounds, having lowered his body fat to 11 percent. ''I've never been that here,'' he said. "I've always been between 13 and 14 percent body fat. I'm in the best shape of my life. I worked my butt off, and now this.''

O'Neal, who turns 36 on March 6, is averaging 14.2 points and 7.8 rebounds. He has now missed nine games this season.

''Whenever my numbers have slowed down, it hasn't been because of humans,'' O'Neal said. "It has been [because of] freak injuries.''
#2 on the link.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080125#

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2008, 01:15:35 AM »
^^ what's sickening is he tries to use his "son of an Army drill sergeant" etc schtik to make it sound like he is doing something uber noble, gutsy and courageous, as if he is sticking it out thru thick n thin. 
$40 million thick n thin.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2008, 12:31:37 PM »
How pathetic has Miami become.  They lose by 30 at home to Boston, who was without Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen.  Leon Powe scores 25 points with 11 rebounds, Eddie House 20 points and 5-9 on 3's, and Boston was +32 with Tony Allen on the floor.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2008, 12:56:04 PM »
How pathetic has Miami become.  They lose by 30 at home to Boston, who was without Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen.  Leon Powe scores 25 points with 11 rebounds, Eddie House 20 points and 5-9 on 3's, and Boston was +32 with Tony Allen on the floor.

Hmmmm.....wonder how I would be dealing with that if it was the Lakers in Miami's place.  IMO the Lakers could have won two more titles to Miami's one in the same timeframe, but who really knows.  So if the Lakers were able to squeeze one more title out of Shaq is that worth going through what Miami is going through right now.  The first year after Shaq was very tough, the following was more of frustration with injuries, much like this year has become.  I dunno if I would want to switch places with the Heat.  Would it been worth becoming the Team of the Decade by keeping Shaq to then fall hard the way Miami has?  I honestly can't say given the glimmer of hope the current Lakers are showing.

It's also scary to think that as well as the Lakers have played prior to the injuries that there is a REAL chance that the Lakers could miss the playoffs because of how tough the West is this year.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"