Author Topic: Strike of '99 Casualties  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Strike of '99 Casualties
« on: January 14, 2008, 06:11:41 PM »
Wolverine's reference to Shawn Kemp in another thread brought this to mind. Are there any other players who were as FUBARed by the strike as the manchild with the many babymamas? Talk about going from the pinnacle of the NBA to the basement. Has there ever been a decline like this before or after in the middle of a player's prime?

Who else was screwed up by the strike?

I can think of only two right now:

Shawn Kemp
Vin Baker
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Strike of '99 Casualties
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 07:17:51 PM »
Technically it was a lock out and not a strike.

Dennis Rodman's career effectively ended after the LO

MJ retired and then came a couple of years later, and he was shot upon his return.  He retired somewhat because of the new contract rules.

Clearly the Bulls were a casualty of the Lock Out.

Glenn Rice was no where near as good a player after as he was before (he was 3rd team all NBA the year before the lockout never close again)

Not sure if it was LO related but Chris Mullin dropped like a rock.

Jayson Williams got hurt after returning and never played again

Shawn Bradley was a consistent double digit scorer (Per 40 min) before the lockout never sniffed those lofty levels again

I think it had a significant impact on Mitch Richmond  (he was 3rd team all NBA the year before the lockout never close again)

I think it had a significant impact on Horace Grant

Rod Strickland was second team all-nba year before and nowhere close after that

« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 09:02:11 PM by ziggy »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 07:43:56 PM »
Technically it was a lock out and not a strike.

Dennis Rodman's career effectively ended after the LO

MJ retired and then came a couple of years later, and he was shot upon his return.  He retired somewhat because of the new contract rules.

Clearly the Bulls were a casualty of the Lock Out.

Glenn Rice was no where near as good a player after as he was before (he was 3rd team all NBA never close again)

Not sure if it was LO related but Chris Mullin dropped like a rock.

Jayson Williams got hurt after returning and never played again

Shawn Bradley was a consistent double digit scorer before never averaged DD after

I think it had a significant impact on Mitch Richmond  (he was 3rd team all NBA never close again)

I think it had a significant impact on Horace Grant

Rod Strickland was second team all-nba year before and nowhere close after that

Honestly thouhg a number of those players were removed because it was the end of their careers anyways or injuries.  Glen Rice had that knee injury that made him way less of a player after that.  He still could shoot but his mobility afterwards was HORRIBLE.

Shawn Bradley and Horace Grant were on their way out.  That was the tail end of their career.  After the 99 lock out Grant was a contributor on a Lakers squad.  Of course he wasn't the same player but he ended up retiring not too long after 2001.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 09:00:15 PM »

Honestly thouhg a number of those players were removed because it was the end of their careers anyways or injuries.  Glen Rice had that knee injury that made him way less of a player after that.  He still could shoot but his mobility afterwards was HORRIBLE.

Shawn Bradley and Horace Grant were on their way out.  That was the tail end of their career.  After the 99 lock out Grant was a contributor on a Lakers squad.  Of course he wasn't the same player but he ended up retiring not too long after 2001.

You have a point, but I don't believe you could blame the "lockout only" for Kemp and Bakers problems.  Baker had a serious drinking problem, and it would have manifest itself with or without the lockout.  Kemp had a drug problem, and that would have manifest itself regardless of the lockout. 

The only situation I could really blame "directly" on the lockout was that Kemp came back from the lockout as a fat tub o' goo, as a direct result of the lockout and spending to much time at the original Krispy Kreme.  He never lost his svelt walrus like figure, and the coke just made him feel better about himself.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 10:50:43 AM »

You have a point, but I don't believe you could blame the "lockout only" for Kemp and Bakers problems.  Baker had a serious drinking problem, and it would have manifest itself with or without the lockout.  Kemp had a drug problem, and that would have manifest itself regardless of the lockout. 

The only situation I could really blame "directly" on the lockout was that Kemp came back from the lockout as a fat tub o' goo, as a direct result of the lockout and spending to much time at the original Krispy Kreme.  He never lost his svelt walrus like figure, and the coke just made him feel better about himself.

I agree about Vin Baker and Shawn Kemp 100%.  A number of NBA players have substance abuse problems but I think when you have so much time off and a lot of money you are asking the Shawn Kemp and Vin Baker's of the world to overdo it.

I think JR RIder can also be added to the list.  He wasn't really at the end of his career after the lock out but his skills dropped so quick come playoff time.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com