Author Topic: Breaking the plane  (Read 990 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Breaking the plane
« on: January 07, 2008, 10:41:02 AM »
Tomlinson took the ball, launched himself toward the goal line and was met in midair by Tennessee middle linebacker Stephen Tulloch, who stopped his progress short. He teetered backward for a split second before coming to a rest with his feet off the ground and Titans linebacker David Thornton clinging onto him amid the pile of bodies. Hochuli could have justifiably blown his whistle then, but he waited, and before anyone exhaled LT had reached the ball over for the touchdown. -Yahoo Michael Silver  http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-morningrush010708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
In addition, Chargers lineman shoved LT forward from the back.  Otherwise LTs reach does not brake the plane. -Reality, PhillyArena.net

1.  What constitues forward progress stopped?
2.  Illegal for anyone to push teamate ball carrier from the back?  I know it is for quarterbacks.  I know it is in college like when Reggie Bush pushed Leinart over for the last second win over Norte Dame, thus preserving USCs undefeated season.

Update after review
Initial lunge one camera angle looks like LT certainly broke plane. However that camera is a yard or two removed from the goaline. dk why it was not placed right on the goaline. As play is going camera crew moves camera not only to goaline but they overcorrect and go a yard or two into the playing field. Screw up by camera crew for sure!
Opposite side angle looks like Tennessee middle linebacker Stephen Tullochkept him out, altho again the camera is not placed on the goaling but rather a yard or two in the playing field.

Then it looks like his momentum was stopped, altho in realtime it's all pretty much one motion.

2nd effort definitely a result of push in back by teamate Brandon Manumaleuna #86.

So did referee Ed Hochuli conclude LT broke it on the first lunge and thus conclude it was a blown call initially thus award? Because clearly LT got pushed in on #2.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 11:23:22 AM by Reality »

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Breaking the plane
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 11:25:34 AM »
"Aiding the runner" used to be a penalty but I don't think it is any more.  In addition I only saw it called once.  The vikes lost an important game back in the mid 80's when the refs dragged it out.  It still stands as one of the worst calls I have ever seen.

Aaah sports.  Here we are 25 years later and I can still picture that play in mind. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 02:11:56 AM »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 02:22:54 AM »
Remember that commercial "You make the call!"?
LT in on initial jump?