Author Topic: How big are Yao's all star coattails  (Read 3028 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How big are Yao's all star coattails
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 05:57:25 PM »
I don't know how you can make it any fairer when it comes to fan voting.  IMO there are ways to get votes in for your guy on the net that would overshadow legit Chineese votes, problem is the auto scripts you can run on the all-star voting page are probaly well known in China cause it's not like every Chineese citizen has a PC.  The paper ballots are the more accurate measure of fan favorites.

How about eliminating electronic ballotting? 

Pass out ballots at all games - paying NBA fans get them.  In addition, send out a ballot to anyone who requests one with a self-addressed stamped envelope.  When non-attending fans end up paying $1.23 to vote ($.41 cent stamp for the letter requesting the ballot, $.41 SASE to mail the ballot back, $.41 to return the ballot), that'll fix a lot of the problems with the system.  If your vote is worth $1.23, then I'm okay with you getting to vote.

Eliminate electronic ballots?  Posted on a board...from now on Joe you should only communicate with the rest of us by letter.  And include a SASE for replies.

In a global world where more and more things happen electronically you are asking for something to return to the stone age.  The NBA wants to market to the world but then you want to eliminate everyone but US residents from voting (check the price of international mail - including Canada).  The issue isn't the electronic voting system...the problem is the ballot.  Even the paper ballots list Antoine Walker as a guard...because the NBA says every team must have at least 3 players listed on the ballot.

IMO there are 2 ways to improve the ballot.  First eliminate half of the players listed on it.  There are 60 players listed for each conference...there are only 75 starters in each conference (15 teams x 5 players).   Second is to put in some sort of minimum performance to be included.  Players who are producing at less than their career averages (Shaq, Kidd) should be disqualified .  Players who miss more than 15-20 games should not be included (Arenas, T-Mac).

I don't think a guy who just recorded 3 straight triple doubles should be taken off a list for a chance to go to the all-star game. 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com