Author Topic: Movies: I am Legend  (Read 2373 times)

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Movies: I am Legend
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 12:09:26 PM »
Great topic.   One other thing I'd like to mention is the ability of certain actors to completely disappear in to a role to the point that you are no longer aware of who you are watching.  Phillip Seymour Hoffman is probably the best at this right now.  Of course up to this point he's been at an advantage as he has usually been in supporting roles and isn't a distinctive or glamorous looking guy. In general, actors who don't appear on the cover of magazines every other week, sit courtside at Laker games become notorious for their nightlife have a leg up in this regard.  Hoffman, after winning an Oscar for Capote, has wisely gone back to more roles where he is not the sole focus.  He's a great example what Skandery mentioned as  "character" guy becoming a star.  

Also our view of acting performances can be altered by comparing people within a particular movie.  For example I recently watched the movie The Illusionist.  I had previously read some reviews that had really ripped Jessica Biel.  Well I agree she's not great but I think her performance wasn't that bad.  The real issue is that she is merely competent while performing alonside Edward Norton and Paul Giamatti, two guys who are extraordinary.   The same thing happened with the other magic movie released at the same time, the Prestige.  There wasn't anything wrong with David Bowie and Scarlett Johannsen except that they couldn't match the skills of Christian Bale, Michael Caine and Hugh Jackman.

koast's point about writing something for a  specific actor brings up and interesting point.  Sometimes acting skill doesn't mean a person will get a role.  For example, in the book Blink by Malcolm Gladwell the author explains why Tom Hanks was given the lead role in Appollo 13.  Did Hanks seem the most like an Astronaut? Nope.  Does he have the most range in Hollywood.  Again no.  But a key to the movie was that the audience was supposed to CARE about the fate of the astronaut the needed a likeable lead.  Ergo they hired Hanks who's widely perceived as a nice guy.  

I've got a lot more about this topic which I'll post later but I suppose I should actually get some work done.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 01:25:20 PM »
DANG IT, darn it, dang it, jn. 

As I was going to sleep last night, I was talking to my wife about this topic and thought about Philip Seymour Hoffman and then remembered that I left him off my list of awesome actors earlier.  I was so pissed off especially since we just saw "Charlie Wilson's War", in which he gave a performance that pretty much had Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts brushing his dust off their teeth.  So I said that tomorrow morning I was going to get on here and remedy that huge omission.  Of course I come into work this morning and the world was going to hell in a handbasket, so I couldn't get on until now, lunchtime.  And you beat me to it, dangit.  I think you have to start bandying Hoffman's name about when talking about today's short list of supreme actors.     

--------------

To touch on WOWs point about being a box office draw.  That's why its a real conundrum of a question.  You have to pursue the glitz, the glamour, and the notoriety to become a humongous personality, big enough to command screenwriters and producers to develop a movie whose entire goal is to act as your vehicle:  Russell Crowe in Gladiator, Brad Pitt in Troy, Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible, etc.  Once you have that personality, its almost impossible to completely immerse yourself in a role.  Sure they'll go out there and do an indie flick, so call stretch their legs, but. . .   And Derek is right about Marlon Brando, how he managed to do both is amazing and exceedingly rare.  So what do you strive for as an actor?  Fame or Brilliance? 

As for what I think of Will Ferrell, eh, he's been Will Ferrell in most of his movies.  In fairness, I haven't seen "Strange Fiction", yet, and people say he actually acted in that one.

Ed Norton is a very good actor.  He does take movies off, though  (e.g. The Score and Red Dragon)

Its awesome that your a Forrest Whitaker fan, you didn't mention it and it wasn't widely distributed so I'll assume you haven't watched it.  GO SEE "The Last King of Scotland" RIGHT NOW!!  Holy Mother of Pearl does Whitaker slam dunk a performance in that one.

The villain in Die Hard and the Harry Potter professor is Alan Rickman--a London Stage Theatre vet--always good for injecting a little pomp and arrogance into anything.

The guy in "Se7en" with Pitt is Morgan Freeman (how do you forget that one).  Immensely likeable and a terrific screen presence but unfortunately has very little range.  Tim Robbins is ridiculous good--I think he's a guy who might have sacrificed fame (box office draw) in pursuit of brilliance.  Robin Williams, very very hit or miss.     

-------------

LakerFan.  If you want to see Will Smith act his butt off, its not "Pursuit of Happyness" you're looking for.  Its "Six Degrees of Separation", a film from 1993.  Check it out if you haven't.  ;)   

-------------

Westkoast's point is spot on and happens all the time.  M. Knight Shymalan practically begged Paul Giamatti (another good one to bring up, BTW, jn) to take the role in "Lady in the Water".  Too bad Paul couldn't save an inherently flawed movie. 

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 01:28:24 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 01:34:51 PM »
As for what I think of Will Ferrell, eh, he's been Will Ferrell in most of his movies.  In fairness, I haven't seen "Strange Fiction", yet, and people say he actually acted in that one.
Ferrell did, it's very good, a complete departure from his usual Beaviss n Butthead.  And you can watch it with your wife and both like it.

Gerard Depardieu in The Count of Monte Cristo.  C'mon people.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 01:47:43 PM »
Robin Williams, very very hit or miss. 
One Hour Photo.  Disturbing but very good if you "get" it (many don't).  (Obviously he was molested and then some.  Also that they give this away at the start is retarded, police interview should have been saved for the end)
Ending i would have cranked up the music more and shown many more photos for max effect.

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 02:30:43 PM »
Philip Seymour Hoffman Quote:  "Sometimes it's hard to say no. Ultimately, if you stick to your guns, you have the career that you want. Don't get me wrong. I love a good payday and I'll do films for fun. But ultimately my main goal is to do good work. If it doesn't pay well, so be it."

Found it on IMDb and it really gets to heart of what I'm talking about. 

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 02:46:14 PM »
Will Ferrell was very good in Stranger Than Fiction.  A far cry from his SNL humor type movies.  He is another perfect example of someone who has parts written to his persona.  As if Elf was written for anyone but Will Ferrel in mind.

Speaking of Ed Norton...when you make movies like American History X and Fight Club you will forever get a pass in my book.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2007, 03:11:57 PM »
Speaking of Ed Norton...when you make movies like American History X and Fight Club you will forever get a pass in my book.

Amen.