Author Topic: Should GNob be resting?  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Should GNob be resting?
« on: December 20, 2007, 11:41:22 AM »
As a shooting guard whose season goal is help his team win their 4th of 6th title as opposed to some individual scoring title, should Manu GNob now be resting?  With a broken left hand, is it neccessary for him to continue while Tony P and Duncan get worked back in?  Absolutely not.
While GNob did have a game tying dunk vs Memphis with 2 seconds left to send the game into would-be OT, nonetheless Manu does not look the same at all the past 4 games.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121907.01D.BKN_Ginobili_Slide.en.28ce03b.html
Other Spurs stars' injuries wear out Ginobili
Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

MEMPHIS, Tenn. ? Manu Ginobili's brain tells him he has only played seven games since the start of December, same as any other healthy Spurs player. The calendar concurs.

Ginobili's aching body tells him he's played many more than that.

With an ankle sprain epidemic separately striking down his two most prominent Spurs teammates ? first Tim Duncan, then Tony Parker ? the pressure has been on Ginobili to be the Band-Aid for the Spurs' offense.

It has made for a wearisome 21/2 weeks for Ginobili, in which seven games have felt like 14.

"I am having to play more minutes and to try to do more," Ginobili said. "Everything requires double the effort."

The Spurs, still shorthanded in Memphis tonight, are hoping Ginobili can shake off the funk that seems to have engulfed him since the team's last road trip.

It will be Duncan's third game back from an ankle injury that cost him four. It will be Parker's fourth game missed while nursing his own sore ankle.

The Spurs have not played a full game with both of their 2007 All-Stars this month. Instead, they have had to lean on a 2005 All-Star ? Ginobili ? to try and pick up the slack.

In a strange twist, injuries to Duncan and Parker have taken a toll on the one Spurs star who remains relatively healthy.

Ginobili was transcendent in the first two games with Duncan out, producing consecutive 37-point nights to ignite victories over Dallas and Utah.

In the four games since, Ginobili has struggled to recreate that magic. He is averaging a respectable 14 points but is shooting a woeful 26 percent from the field.

The Spurs were 1-3 in that span.

If you ask Ginobili, there is a good reason he isn't playing as well now as he was two weeks ago.

"I don't feel as good as I did two weeks ago," Ginobili said. "I feel tired."

Trying to carry a team for six games will do that, especially to a player not accustomed to the workload that has him playing 33.2 minutes per game in that stretch.

Throughout his career, Ginobili has never averaged more than 29.6 minutes a game.

Against Dallas and Utah, he demonstrated the kind of gaudy numbers he can put up if given a full night's work. Since then, he has showed what can happen when the minutes ? and bruises ? pile up.

There was the 4-of-14 night marred by five turnovers in a loss at Golden State. A 5-of-17 clankfest in another loss to the Lakers that included seven turnovers. A 4-of-11 effort in a victory over Denver.

In Monday's 100-95 loss to Phoenix, Ginobili finished with 18 points but only made 6 of 19 shots and had a costly turnover on the final possession.

In addition to simple fatigue, Ginobili says the left hand contusion he suffered in a Dec. 2 collision with Portland's James Jones still bothers him.

For now, however, coach Gregg Popovich doesn't see any need to keep Ginobili off the floor.
"He hasn't expressed anything like that," Pop-A-Cement said. "He's healthy. That's the most important thing."
Pop is still retarded, that's the important thing.

What Ginobili could use, even more than a night off, is a team at full strength.

Ever since his twin 37-point outbursts, defenses have been more cognizant of his whereabouts, vying to keep him from his favorite scoring spots.

"Before, they were worried about Tony and Tim," Robert Horry said. "Now it's Manu, more than Tony and Tim. Everybody is playing us like that."

Duncan, back and returning to form, should help.

And with Parker tentatively due to rejoin Duncan in the lineup before the end of the week, the Spurs are set to suit up a full complement of All-Stars for the first time since November.

Ginobili's aching body can hardly wait.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should GNob be resting?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 06:41:52 PM »
I think it would be safe to say he should be rested.  The guy has been doing some heavy lifting over the last couple weeks to keep SA competitive and actually win games with key players out.  The question is can they afford to do that right now?  Who do they play over the next 10? 

I think SA can do without Tony Parker for stretches  but not Manu Gnob this year.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 08:05:36 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 07:03:25 AM »
I think it would be safe to say he should be rested.  The guy has been doing some heavy lifting over the last couple weeks to keep SA competitive and actually win games with key players out.  The question is can they afford to do that right now?  Who do they play over the next 10? 

I think SA can do without Tony Parker for stretches  but not Manu Gnob this year.

Actually I think it is the other way around.  In the games that Parker has missed the Spurs have gotten next to zero fast break points.  There is also very little dribble penetration to free up the outside shooters or give Duncan operating room.  I don't think it is a coincidence that the Spurs worse stretch of the season has been during Parker's absence.  IMO Parker is proving he deserved the playoff MVP last year...his quickness and ability to finish around the basket are sorely missed.  Manu brings that unbelievable desire to win along with a ability to hit clutch shots that is valuable in the 4th quarter but the Spurs need their stars in this order: Parker, Duncan, Ginobili.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 11:10:23 AM »

Actually I think it is the other way around.  In the games that Parker has missed the Spurs have gotten next to zero fast break points.  There is also very little dribble penetration to free up the outside shooters or give Duncan operating room.  I don't think it is a coincidence that the Spurs worse stretch of the season has been during Parker's absence.  IMO Parker is proving he deserved the playoff MVP last year...his quickness and ability to finish around the basket are sorely missed.  Manu brings that unbelievable desire to win along with a ability to hit clutch shots that is valuable in the 4th quarter but the Spurs need their stars in this order: Parker, Duncan, Ginobili.

During that same stretch Duncan has been out as well though....

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 11:22:19 AM »

No.  Duncan missed 4 games but Parker played in the first 3...wins against Dallas & Utah and the loss to the Warriors.  Both missed the Lakers game.  Duncan has played in the last 3 and Parker hasn't.

So...

Without Duncan & with Parker     2-1
With both out                          0-1
With Duncan and without Parker  1-2

Also there is this from today's paper...
Parker hasn't played since Dec 11. Without him, the Spurs are 1-3 and their offense, which averaged better than 101 points per game with him, has slowed to a 94.7 per-game clip.

Grizzlies coach Marc Iavaroni, for one, noticed the difference in the Parker-less Spurs.

?Him being out, obviously they're not the same team,? Iavaroni said. ?You don't have the same pressure put on the rim.?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 11:41:46 AM »

No.  Duncan missed 4 games but Parker played in the first 3...wins against Dallas & Utah and the loss to the Warriors.  Both missed the Lakers game.  Duncan has played in the last 3 and Parker hasn't.

So...

Without Duncan & with Parker     2-1
With both out                          0-1
With Duncan and without Parker  1-2

Also there is this from today's paper...
Parker hasn't played since Dec 11. Without him, the Spurs are 1-3 and their offense, which averaged better than 101 points per game with him, has slowed to a 94.7 per-game clip.

Grizzlies coach Marc Iavaroni, for one, noticed the difference in the Parker-less Spurs.

?Him being out, obviously they're not the same team,? Iavaroni said. ?You don't have the same pressure put on the rim.?

I certainly don't disagree they need him.  Obviously this team is not nearly as good with out what he brings.  Vaugh is def not Tony Parker.

Lemme ask you this though, as a Spurs fan, do you think Tony would have been able to keep SA competitive like Manu did if the situations switched?

And btw...I am so tired of hearing about Tony Parker in the news.  So much for you guys not getting any coverage.  They just wont leave him alone about the 'cheating' thing.  I hope this doesn't effect his game cuz its nonsense.  Now you get a taste of the kind of crap LA fans have to deal with when the media goes berserk over things so far away from basketball.  Im not talking about Kobe coming adultery as that snow balled into a court case.  I'm just talking about all the other stuff like Rick Fox cheating, made up stories from "sources", and just all around constantly covering every step a player makes in public.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 11:44:06 AM by westkoast »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 12:37:59 PM »

I certainly don't disagree they need him.  Obviously this team is not nearly as good with out what he brings.  Vaugh is def not Tony Parker.

Lemme ask you this though, as a Spurs fan, do you think Tony would have been able to keep SA competitive like Manu did if the situations switched?

Yes I think that Parker and Duncan would have done just as well if not better than Duncan and Manu.  Manu is more effective with a second slasher/attacker.  In Manu's big games against Dallas & Utah, Parker was there to draw the focus for keeping a Spurs player out of the lane.  Vaughan just doesn't have the quickness of Parker. 

If you watch enough Spurs games (wait for the playoffs) you should see that Manu's best drives come off of a Parker drive and kickout.  The defense is scrambling after one drive and Manu is the best at looking like he is going in 3 or 4 directions at the same time with his herky-jerky motion.

And btw...I am so tired of hearing about Tony Parker in the news.  So much for you guys not getting any coverage.  They just wont leave him alone about the 'cheating' thing.  I hope this doesn't effect his game cuz its nonsense.  Now you get a taste of the kind of crap LA fans have to deal with when the media goes berserk over things so far away from basketball.  Im not talking about Kobe coming adultery as that snow balled into a court case.  I'm just talking about all the other stuff like Rick Fox cheating, made up stories from "sources", and just all around constantly covering every step a player makes in public.

I agree that the off court celebrity crap is nauseating.  Funny thing is until Eva came into the picture you never heard anything like that about Tony in the US.  Parker has been exposed to the whole "star" treatment by the press in France for a while...since the 2003 title.  But now it has taken on a life of its own.  The one good thing is that the local paper is smart enough to keep the celebrity crap out of the sports pages.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 01:25:35 PM »
I think it would be safe to say he should be rested. 
So Lurker, should GNob be resting?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 01:35:34 PM »
Ive actually seen a lot of Spurs games this year (or listened to them on the radio).  Moreso then any other team not named the Lakers.  I've tried to make it a point to follow a few more teams closely (Utah being one of them) this year since I have more access to games then in years past.

You are right the kick out from Parker gets the herky jerky play in motion.  You get that rocker effect from Manu at that point where you don't know if he is going to hit a 3 or take it into the heart of the defense.  Without the scrambling Parker causes that move just doesn't work as well so I agree with you and stand corrected.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 02:52:34 PM »
I think it would be safe to say he should be rested. 
So Lurker, should GNob be resting?

No.  He needs to go back to playing 28-30 minutes instead of 36-38 minutes.  And he needs another playmaker.

In the first 18 games he played 6 games of greater than 30 minutes and only 1 greater than 35 minutes.
During the 7 games with the injuries to TD & TP he has played 5 greater than 30 and 3 at 35 or greater.
-Moody Blues

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 03:47:59 PM »
So now rape = adultery?  8)
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 04:08:55 PM »
So now rape = adultery?  8)

Never was convicted of rape and they dropped the civil suit attempt so it was simply adultery.

If only Kobe ran his game on white girls through AK...he would have been more efficient!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 12:32:28 AM »
Manu will now get rest due to his sprained shooting hand finger getting rung up again, injured since Dec 2.
Pop-A-Cement  ::)

Ime filled in great tonight vs Clippies.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 02:15:11 PM »
Manu will now get rest due to his sprained shooting hand finger getting rung up again, injured since Dec 2.
Pop-A-Cement  ::)

Ime filled in great tonight vs Clippies.

Couldn't Pop make you happy by playing him LESS minutes?  I don't know if they should completely rest him.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 02:41:16 PM »
No.  He should have been resting it already.  LeBron was out 2 weeks with his sprained finger.

"It's like having a sprained thumb," Popovich said. "You keep hitting it and hitting it, and it never gets healed. He's having a hard time grasping the ball, holding the ball, shooting the ball, that sort of thing.

"We were hoping that he was turning the corner. He was playing through it, and he really got whacked hard tonight. So now he's back to square one, and we'll just wait and see how he feels."

"You keep hitting it and hitting it and it never gets healed".  Duh.