Author Topic: New Spurs get feet wet  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
New Spurs get feet wet
« on: November 03, 2007, 11:31:14 AM »
lurker did you see Ime, and Manhimi join Washington last night?

Ime looked great.  Manhimi too, albeit in garbage time.   I hope the Spurs take their good old time in getting Bob Horry back in so Manhimi can stay a while.  Horry doesn't get serious until March anyways, and thats fine with me.

Washington has become a crowd favortie with his hustle.  Of course JVaughn gave his all last year too.  Maybe rest Vaughn thruout November also so Washington can continue to get sniffs.

Fitting in playing time when everyone is playing well. It's great problem to have.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Spurs get feet wet
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 01:58:48 PM »
You sing a sweet song while they're winning.  This is same MO that Pop has used in the past...manage key player minutes in Nov/Dec and check out the lower half of the roster.  It usually results in some early losses and probably costs the Spurs top seed.  However compared to the Suns 7-8 man rotation the Spurs will be fresh for "winning time".

The Spurs have said all through the preseason that Mahinmi and Washington will end up in Austin playing for the NDBL team there.  The Spurs purchased the team this past summer and have worked with the coaching staff to help teach the Spurs defensive philosophy.  And run a simplified version of the dump & watch...I mean offense sets.  Basically the Spurs are looking at the Austin team the way baseball looks at its farm system.  I expect those two to move there by early Dec and no later than the new year.

But bringing back the entire roster has led to a deep team this year.  Most everyone is familiar with the system and even the second team loks good in their defensive rotations.  Bonner gets a little trigger happy sometimes.  And Barry tries to get too fancy.  But with Pop managing minutes the old guys will be ready for May/June.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 02:04:21 PM »
I sing a real song all the time.
So have you seen any of them play?  This season.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 02:29:20 PM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 08:07:56 PM »
You sing a sweet song while they're winning.

LOL!  What is the over/under before "Pop-A-Cement" makes his appearance on the board?  Or is it more of a trigger based on Spurs/Suns/Dallas won/loss records?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 12:46:58 AM »
You sing a sweet song while they're winning.  This is same MO that Pop has used in the past...manage key player minutes in Nov/Dec and check out the lower half of the roster.  It usually results in some early losses and probably costs the Spurs top seed.  However compared to the Suns 7-8 man rotation the Spurs will be fresh for "winning time".

The Spurs have said all through the preseason that Mahinmi and Washington will end up in Austin playing for the NDBL team there.  The Spurs purchased the team this past summer and have worked with the coaching staff to help teach the Spurs defensive philosophy.  And run a simplified version of the dump & watch...I mean offense sets.  Basically the Spurs are looking at the Austin team the way baseball looks at its farm system.  I expect those two to move there by early Dec and no later than the new year.

But bringing back the entire roster has led to a deep team this year.  Most everyone is familiar with the system and even the second team loks good in their defensive rotations.  Bonner gets a little trigger happy sometimes.  And Barry tries to get too fancy.  But with Pop managing minutes the old guys will be ready for May/June.

With the age and miles of key players (Duncan and Bowen specifically) he has no choice but to do this.  If you think about how much wear and tear he has saved some of his players by doing this the past few seasons you would give the guy credit for doing the opposite of what most coaches do...which is make sure the team is strong up front so they can get into a groove early.  Pop knows his squad will make the playoffs so winning games up front is not as important to him.  Smart move IMO.  In fact I'd go as far to say that he still plays Bowen a bit too much considering the guy is guarding the best players in the league every night.

Diss the dump and watch all you want but run and gun has got the Spurs brother's north of SA 0 rings in the past...well pretty much since Don Nelson took over and now with Avery J.

Pop-A-Cement only comes up when they lose to teams Reality doesn't personally like.  Duncan could get hit by a car before a Laker game and the Spurs could lose by 1 but it would be all Pop-A-Cement's play calling that lost the game  ::)

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 04:32:19 PM »
I sing a real song all the time.
So have you seen any of them play?  This season.

Yes, I went to one preseason game in which the new guys played.  And I saw them vs the Kings the other night on tv.

Udoka:  Started for the Blazers last year.  Very much in the Bruce Bowen mold - hard worker, tough defender, best shot is the corner 3.  Also had to work his way through Europe & the minor leagues to make it in the NBA.  I expect him to see more minutes as he becomes better in tune with the Spurs defensive schemes.

Washington:  All out hustle earned him a spot when Udrih & Vaughan were injured in trainging camp.  Very suspect jumper but has a nose for the ball.  Had a couple preseason games where he flirted with a triple double.  Hustles and harrasses his man defensively.  Seems to make the right decision most of the time as the backup PG...at least until Vaughan returns.

Mahinmi:  This was the Spurs draft pick from 2005 (#28 - hence the number he wears).  Turns 21 today (Nov 5) and like Parker before him has played professionally in France/Europe for several years.  Young athletic big man.  Has a natural touch around the rim but needs to continue working on his footwork (and goes up against the best teacher in the world in practice regularly).  His defense is more athletic reaction than technique right now but reports are that he is improving steadily.

As I said earlier Washington & Mahinmi will end up in the NBDL sooner rather than later.  Even with Horry in street clothes Mahinmi is the #5 big man in the rotation (Duncan, Fabs, Elson, Bonner, Mahinmi)...as calendar changes to 2008 Pop will start to shorten his rotations.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues