Author Topic: OT- HI ALL!! OTT - Ipod Touch!!  (Read 1597 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
OT- HI ALL!! OTT - Ipod Touch!!
« on: September 06, 2007, 08:47:17 PM »
hey anyone see the new Ipod? "touch" basically an Iphone without the phone.  Not only that but Apple up and dropped the price of the Iphone by $200.00 for the 8 gig when the 4 gig sold for $599.00 (I believe it was that price.)  I would be really upset if I had spent that much just a few weeks ago.  The funny thing about this Ipod is it is ready for wifi and uses the Safari browser on it...isn't the internet connection one of the really BIG features on the Iphone and I am the sure the high cost of service on that phone has a lot to do with the fact that it can connect online...but this new Ipod, from what I can tell just needs any open to connect and surf just fine.  I don't know I thought the Iphone was cool but I was not about to shell out the bucks for it.  I will probably go get the 8 gig eventually (not when it comes out of course) but this thing looks like it should be a fun little device to have around. 

Hope all is well with everyone, sorry i have not dropped in more, just been busy lately.  Catch you all soon.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT- HI ALL!! OTT - Ipod Touch!!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 10:03:58 PM »
It's just a gimmicky toy.  Who wants to browse the web squinting at a tiny screen or listen to digitally compressed music like a cheap AM radio?

It's for people who'd rather sit around texting each other and mentally masturbating than doing anything useful!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 10:22:09 PM »
It's just a gimmicky toy.  Who wants to browse the web squinting at a tiny screen or listen to digitally compressed music like a cheap AM radio?

It's for people who'd rather sit around texting each other and mentally masturbating than doing anything useful!

Unless of course you're like me, who's on call 24/7, needs to be able to get my text alerts, check my mail, and ssh into a server if need be.  I wouldn't go for an iPhone for that, but the market is definitely more than the generalization you've made.

And all my music is digital anymore.  And the compression isn't that high.  All my stuff is either 320 bitrate MP3's, or better yet flac/ogg's. Why would I want to carry around a CD that holds 15 songs?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 11:37:01 PM »
Well, I know it's a gimmicky toy...and holy crap that's masturbation!?  Oh man, no wonder I've been going blind!!   :D

I have a samsung that holds two gigs and it comes in handy when I am out biking, now I don't bike for THAT long, but seeing as our downtown here is going to free wifi, it would be nice to take a break somewhere and surf while I listen to music and rest up.  I think the demo's of this thing at apple.com are great.  I will wait until it is out for a bit before I buy it though, I want to hear what people have to say about it after it hits the market.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 12:20:53 AM »
Unless of course you're like me, who's on call 24/7, needs to be able to get my text alerts, check my mail, and ssh into a server if need be.  I wouldn't go for an iPhone for that, but the market is definitely more than the generalization you've made.

And all my music is digital anymore.  And the compression isn't that high.  All my stuff is either 320 bitrate MP3's, or better yet flac/ogg's. Why would I want to carry around a CD that holds 15 songs?

Why don't you have a tablet PC then?  I have a mobile wireless card for my laptop and a tablet PC would be so much easier because of the size BUT at what point does size become a drawback?  I just can't see a device that small, iPod, being of any use beyond text messaging.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 07:03:04 AM »

Why don't you have a tablet PC then?  I have a mobile wireless card for my laptop and a tablet PC would be so much easier because of the size BUT at what point does size become a drawback?  I just can't see a device that small, iPod, being of any use beyond text messaging.

Well, I have a laptop, but I need something that fits in my pocket in case I don't have it with me.  I currently use a treo 700 as my phone, and I'm pretty dangerous with the querty keyboard it has on it.  And the 320x320 screen is just good enough for ssh.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 07:06:17 AM by Derek Bodner »