Author Topic: OT - can someone help out  (Read 6629 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: OT - can someone help out
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 09:13:35 PM »
I guess that might be a problem for the "home" flavor of Windows

No, it's a problem with all flavors of XP (and anything before it).

I don't think 3rd party software is a bad thing, there are tons of cool things out there by third parties

3rd party software is great.  It's what linux is built on.  But whereas linux distributions will come shipped with iptables and apparmor/selinux by default, windows relies on windows firewall by default.  Which is putrid.

If I wanted a fisher price dumb and go PC I'd buy my kids a Mac, it's a very well integrated product, everything from PC to MP3 is really smooth

Apple's business practices are just about as bad as Microsoft's.  But from a technological standpoint, they aren't "dump".  They're built on a FreeBSD base, and rank with Sun Solaris, IBM AIX and HP-UX as the only certified Unix's.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 11:29:27 PM »
Derek's point about using a different account for "admin" and for "normal use" is very valid.  However, if you're the technical user, it gets annoying having to switch back and forth.  And, of course, some software pretty much requires that you be administrator on your local box.

I don't think that Windows security is "dumb" as much as it is "unused," at least when you're in an AD domain (like I've set up here at home).  Of course, you can't do what you really ought to unless you're running XP Pro rather than XP Home for your workstations.

The one area where Windows really falls down at is as an FTP server.  Windows FTP server is WAY too easily exploited - so much so that I stopped using it, and specifically worked up a Linux box (and believe me, I'm barely able to do anything on a Linux server in terms of configuration) to replace it.  One of the best choices I ever made.  I also use the Linux server as a mail front-end...although it moved behind a different server (via folks called NoIP.com), and now, I've reduced spam to next to nothing between their front end and the Linux box in front of the Exchange server.  But ultimately, there is that Exchange Server...I actually *LIKE* Exchange.  I make use of the Public Folders extensively - for example, for the fantasybball e-mail address you guys use.  Doing things that way allows me to get rid of any vendor who decides to distribute the address I give him.  It's a little disconcerting to a vendor when they ask me my e-mail address, and I tell them it's their_company_name@joev.com.  And if I get junk mail...guess who distributed the address.  I then deactivate the address, and the vendor loses any future business.

I also have VPN connections set up with Skander and Caleb, so we're actually one big private network through the internet.  Makes it easy to share files, music, etc.  They've even got the ability to print to my color laser.

The downside is that there's a bit of work to make sure it stays up, and works as appropriate.  Then again, that's part of the computer-geek side of me...messing with the network is kind of fun.  At least sometimes.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 03:26:14 AM »
However, if you're the technical user, it gets annoying having to switch back and forth.  And, of course, some software pretty much requires that you be administrator on your local box.

Right click > Run as got me through 99% of my problems without having to logout and login.  You can even "run as" explorer to bring up control panel options without having to logout.

for sharing, I've gotten great use out of a samba server.  Then you could mount them as cifs shares, or ftp into them.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 02:40:29 PM »
Right click > Run as got me through 99% of my problems without having to logout and login.  You can even "run as" explorer to bring up control panel options without having to logout.

I assume that doesn't work for a "User" trying to "Run as" an "Administrator".  So I assume that's only a useful feature for someone with Admin rights. 
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 03:06:19 PM »
You run as a different user.  If you have the login credentials for the administrator, the user can run that program as that administrator.