Author Topic: Question for UCLA followers  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Question for UCLA followers
« on: June 22, 2007, 08:28:56 AM »
I have seen a few mock drafts that list the Spurs picking Affalo with the 28th pick.  I only saw him a couple times in the NCAAs.  What is his game like and do you think he would be a good pick for the Spurs?

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Question for UCLA followers
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 09:27:29 AM »
I have seen a few mock drafts that list the Spurs picking Affalo with the 28th pick.  I only saw him a couple times in the NCAAs.  What is his game like and do you think he would be a good pick for the Spurs?

I don't know if you read the tread about the NCAA tourny but I posted my thoughts about him.  He's a very good shooter but way too slow to get himself open against a solid defender, he'd have problems in the NBA with an average defender.  He's not big enough to just shoot over people, nor does he have a quick release to get a shot off with a defender in his face.  Too slow to be a 2 and not big enough to be a 3, alot like Kappono.  That being said he'd be a pretty good fit for the Spurs, or any team with a post precense that gets doubled teamed.  He can be streaky at times but working in a rigid system like the Spurs should be good for him if he ends up there.  Kapponon didn't make any impact in the NBA but he did go off for some huge numbers for a spell playing with Shaq.

I don't know how athletic he is, haven't seen enough of him in the open court to make a call on that and the Spurs are looking to get more athletic so that could be a drawback.  He's got a solid frame for a kid.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 10:18:59 AM »
I'm hearing Almond is a better fit.
Full Name: Morris Almond
Position: Guard
Height/Weight: 6-6 / 215
Birthdate: February 2, 1985 (Dalton, Ga.)
High School: McEachern HS (Powder Springs, Ga.)
College: Rice
http://www.sigdomain.com/draftexpress_4.mp3

More lusting after this long 3 position project guy, but seems he is a lock to go somewhere 5-12th.
Full Name: Corey Wayne Brewer
Position: Forward
Height/Weight: 6-9 / 185
Birthdate: March 5, 1986 (Portland, Tenn.)
High School: Portland HS (Portland, Tenn.)
College: Florida

nbadraft.net profile
nba.com profile
draftexpress.com profile

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 10:32:23 AM »

I don't know if you read the tread about the NCAA tourny but I posted my thoughts about him.  He's a very good shooter but way too slow to get himself open against a solid defender, he'd have problems in the NBA with an average defender.  He's not big enough to just shoot over people, nor does he have a quick release to get a shot off with a defender in his face.  Too slow to be a 2 and not big enough to be a 3, alot like Kappono.  That being said he'd be a pretty good fit for the Spurs, or any team with a post precense that gets doubled teamed.  He can be streaky at times but working in a rigid system like the Spurs should be good for him if he ends up there.  Kapponon didn't make any impact in the NBA but he did go off for some huge numbers for a spell playing with Shaq.

I don't know how athletic he is, haven't seen enough of him in the open court to make a call on that and the Spurs are looking to get more athletic so that could be a drawback.  He's got a solid frame for a kid.

He def is not going to be a player to create his own shot.  If he can't do it in college there is no way in hell he can do it in the NBA.  Lucky for him the Spurs don't need that kind of player. I'd imagine that he would be like Finley is now, where he can be a kick out shooter.

UCLA did play some solid defense last year thought and I think with the right coach he can improve in that spot.  That is always a key for the Spurs and I think he would be a decent fit coming from that defense first mentality they had in Westwood.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 12:36:18 PM »
I doubt Aflalo lasts past the teeens in the draft.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 12:50:02 PM »
I doubt Aflalo lasts past the teeens in the draft.

I originally figured he would go 18-22 range.   But I have seen mock drafts with him anywhere from 16 to the second round.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues