Author Topic: Trivia Q  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Trivia Q
« on: June 12, 2007, 11:04:02 AM »
I don't know why this doesn't get as much run as Portland taking Sam Bowie over MJ, but here is the 1959 draft order:

1. Cincinnati Royals Bob Boozer Kansas State University
2. Detroit Pistons Bailey Howell Mississippi State University
3. Philadelphia Warriors Wilt Chamberlain University of Kansas

Q.  Is Bob Boozer related to Carlos Boozer?

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Trivia Q
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 02:02:41 PM »
Wilt is from Philly.  I assume there was some sort of deal to make sure he went home in order to maximize ticket sales.  I wonder what sort of under the table compensation the other teams got.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 04:51:08 PM »
I may be wrong, but I thought that the NBA had a deal in the draft where there was a "regional draft".  Teams had the rights to players with certain regional ties, which was part of the reason why the Big O played in Cincinnati.  The World Football League and the USFL did the same thing if I don't recall.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 09:18:37 PM »
I may be wrong, but I thought that the NBA had a deal in the draft where there was a "regional draft".  Teams had the rights to players with certain regional ties, which was part of the reason why the Big O played in Cincinnati.  The World Football League and the USFL did the same thing if I don't recall.

I recall something along those lines also.  Each team coiuld submit one regional pick but the player had to be from the city or suburbs I think.  So there wasn't someone each year for each team.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 01:21:47 AM »
I thought that was done by the time Wilt entered but I did think about that when I posted. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes