Author Topic: Excellent win by the Spurs in their first game.  (Read 1271 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Excellent win by the Spurs in their first game.
« on: May 21, 2007, 08:54:43 AM »
I was very impressed with Oberto and Elson.  They showed more yesterday than they did in the opening rounds.  Spurs defense was too much for the Jazz in the first half, and they were unable to recover in time.

Also, the Spurs did not really falter at the end, they had good enough conditioning and Pop was able to get players enough rest to give consistent effort even with only one day off.

Still, the Jazz demonstrated that they can play with the Spurs and score effectively.  They won the last two quarters of the game, and Derron Williams showed just how good he really is.  They also managed to get Tim Duncan to pick up 5 fouls in the game.  Now that they have experienced the Spurs defensive pressure, they should be better prepared for the next game.

Two very disciplined, tough and determined teams.  Still think this will be a great series.  The Suns may have more exposure, having been around for a few years, but this Utah team seems very good to me.  A very worthy adversary for the Spurs.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Excellent win by the Spurs in their first game.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 09:31:24 AM »
I felt like the Jazz were still feeling the after effects of the GS series.  The reason I say that is it seemed that they were not use to seeing execution quite like the Spurs are capable of doing.  Especially in that 2nd quarter when the Spurs took over the game.  Once they settled down and Deron Williams (the kid has some major heart btw)/Carolo Boozer started to figure out where they could score with ease  they made a nice push at the end.  IMO the Jazz played very well after that 2nd quarter barrage for being such a young team.  I thought they were going to roll over and die at half time but they got back into it.  That never give up attitude is another trait this squad has taken from their head coach.

The Jazz defense was just not quite as good as we have seen it in the playoffs thus far.  Props to Flabs for his cutting yesterday but Carlos Boozer should not be getting beat like that.  Also it seemed that once AK got those two opening goal tending calls he really backed away from trying to block shots for the rest of the night.  Which of course really allowed the Spurs to get too many layups.  I didn't see the points in the paint numbers but the Spurs had to have just a ton of baskets in the middle.

You cannot really single out one player on the Spurs squad yesterday.  Elson and Flabs played well like Rick mentioned, Parker's jumper and penetration put the Jazz on their heels, Duncan was his brilliant self as usual, Finley's FT shooting continues to hold leads at the end of the game, and Manu's passing was beautiful yesterday.  All around excellent team effort.  I feel bad for the Jazz.  They are a really good team but the Spurs are so much stronger it kind of takes away from really how good the Jazz are.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 09:38:40 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 09:44:26 AM »
Spurs held serve for game 1...these teams split the season with each winning at home.  Jazz responded well after half further supporting the argument that Sloan continues to get jobbed for COY honors.  It looked like the Jazz youth (inexperience) popped up in the first half.  Spurs put on a clinic in the second quarter both offensively and defensively.  Can't see how any true fan of basketball would call that type of play boring.  Funny thing is for a defensive team the Spurs averaged 94.2 pts vs Nuggets, 100.0 vs Suns and scored 108 yesterday.

I was out of town and missed game 6 vs Suns.  Have it on DVR but haven't had time to watch.  Just glad to see the Spurs lose it out at home.  Thanks to all those who posted congrats...
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 10:00:49 AM »
Also it seemed that once AK got those two opening goal tending calls he really backed away from trying to block shots for the rest of the night.

I hadn't even thought about that, 'koast.  The difference in the final score was AK's four goal-tending calls--talk about cutting a shot-blockers balls off.  I though one and maybe two were very questionable. 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 10:53:23 AM »
Also it seemed that once AK got those two opening goal tending calls he really backed away from trying to block shots for the rest of the night.

I hadn't even thought about that, 'koast.  The difference in the final score was AK's four goal-tending calls--talk about cutting a shot-blockers balls off.  I though one and maybe two were very questionable. 

The first one at the very begging of the game I thought was an easy call.  Not only was the ball going down it was partially over the cylinder.  The one right after that was very questionable.  Jerry Sloan seemed to agree I haven't seen him jump out of his seat like that at a start of a game in along time.  I thought the ball was already a missed shot and he was trying to smack it off the backboard to keep it away from the Spurs in the area.  That really made AK passive in the paint that entire first half.   This team's defense is just not the same without his help defense.  Both Deron and Boozer REALLY need that help coming from the opposite side.  Deron especially.  He has his hands full running the offense and having to stay in front of Parker.  Not an easy tasks by anymeans.

I am pretty disapointed in myself for not paying more attention to Williams this year.  I knew he was a good player and had seen him play well in the games I caught but yesterday I jumped on his bandwagon 100%.  His play in the 4th quarter has to excite any basketball fan.  Heck any hard working individual has to respect the heart and determination he had at the end.  I know Mark Jackson said it yesterday but he really does remind me of a Jason Kidd/Baron Davis hybrid.  I am really looking forward to the Parker/Williams battle more then anything else now.

The Duncan/Okur matchup is a major problem.  Obviously you don't want to put Boozer on Duncan because you don't want him to pick up fouls but Okur is not going to make Duncan work very hard.  I know Millsap is much smaller but it seems like his hustle and strength would cause Duncan to work harder.  I really don't see who else you could put on him that would slow him down.  Any player in the league is going to get abused by him but you want to make sure he can't save energy for the defensive end like he did in game 6 against PHX.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 03:43:59 PM »

Deron Williams in 4th qtr playing and looking like man possessed.