Author Topic: MUST win for the Spurs tonight.  (Read 4982 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: MUST win for the Spurs tonight.
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2007, 08:16:59 AM »
Parker = Melo

You're not helping Lurker!  ???

Is this better...

Parker > Melo

Both are all stars and both need other players to help open up their games.  Melo is a better scorer (not necessarily shooter) but Parker has better handles and is more consistant defensively.  Hence why I said they are basically even.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2007, 08:45:21 AM »
Just match up the guards with guards, forwards with forwards and centers with centers.

Duncan > Melo

Parker < Iverson

Ginobli > Kleiza

Horry < Camby

But all of this is based on previous performance.  And, as I mentioned before Denver doesn't have a great track record because of the particulars of the season.

When comparing teams it's best to look at head to head matchups when they play against each other.  IMO, it's easier for Denver to score on San Antonio than it is for San Antonio to score on Denver.  That is Pop's philosophy of playing defense first, which is a very tough thing to do against a team built to score like Denver does.

Big game tonight.  But since Dallas is in trouble and even the Suns have slipped up it's not quite as crucial as I first thought. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2007, 10:35:38 AM »
Actually Rick you were claiming that with TWO stars and role players Denver is the better team.  Yoiu also claim that Denver is more talented.  I just used some facts and a quality/talent of player comparison to rebutt your "conclusions".

The Spurs have more stars so based on your "star power" logic the Spurs is the better team.

The other thing I showed is that the Spurs are deeper and have more talent on the roster.  Either that or Karl has no clue about his talent.

And if you want to match up positions then let's use the actual matchups.

Camby > Elson
Nene < Duncan
Anthony > Bowen
Iverson > Finley
Blake < Parker
Kleiza/Smith/Najera <<<<< Manu/Barry/Horry/Oberto/Vaughn

This would make it look in Denver's favor based on the starters.  The problem is that outside of its starters Denver is a bad team.  Also Denver doesn't have extreme matchup advantages.    I'm not sure how you get to the point of saying that Denver can score easier than the Spurs.  Spurs for the season...and so far in the playoffs...have the more efficient offense.

Offensive FG% (first two games/season):
Spurs      .429  .474
Nuggets  .418  .465

And to blunt your "midseason" change reply:
second half stats  (record/off fg%/def fg%)
Spurs:     30-11   .476  .438
Nuggers:  23-18   .476  .461

The Spurs also all season proved they were the better defensive team.  First half, second half and in the first two playoff games.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues