Author Topic: McNabb backs Garcia. As a starter?  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
McNabb backs Garcia. As a starter?
« on: February 18, 2007, 04:48:32 PM »
"I won't have a problem with Jeff being out there if I'm not able to go." Italics Realitys.

But does McNabb want Garcia back as a starter if he is ready to go?
Totally normal for a healthy McNabb to want to start, thats not what I'm asking.

Will Garcia sign with Philly?  Might be a moot point.
If both healthy will they be given equal op to start?

Philly has somewhat of a dilly of a pickle if McNabbs rehab comes out ahead of schedule.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2769735
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 05:02:28 PM by Reality »

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: McNabb backs Garcia. As a starter?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 10:19:03 AM »
Don't kid yourself.  McNabb is the Eagles QB, provided he's healthy.  Garcia has proven himself to be a great QB in his own right, probably capable of taking a team to the Super Bowl.

But Jeff is 36 and isn't interested in going to a team that's a few years away.  Most of the teams that are good enough already have a starting QB, and they won't change for Jeff.

Garcia simply wants to use this opportunity to get as much money as he can, while  being in a situation that will work for him.  Unless some team offers him a starting job and a lot of money, chances are he would prefer to stay with the Eagles.

Which would you choose to go to a team like Detroit to be a starter and get beat up every week behind a line that can't block and no chance to get anywhere, or be a backup for Donavan, hope he doesn't get hurt, and get a Super Bowl ring and the best seat for the Super Bowl?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 01:37:18 PM »
Agree with all, except is it "hope he does get hurt".... ;)

Garcia to start for Chi Bears?
Naw Louvie is set on Grossman, and as bad as some feel Grossman was in the Bowl, he was 20-28 and to me two of those picks had very wussified attempts at breaking up the pass by Bear recievers.  The fumbles were as bad imo.

So will Eagles up the pay if other teams offer Garcia a bundle?
I don't think McNabb will ever be the same.  But i wont count out a return to equal level either.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 02:15:30 PM »
The Eagles are gambling with McNabb, assuming he'll come back healthy.  But even if he doesn't, Garcia isn't going to be around for 3-4 years as a starter anyway.

The Eagles will not pay big bucks to keep him.  They already have another backup who is adequate and a lot younger than Jeff.  Garcia is a great fit for the Eagles because he knows the system and the players. 

If some team ponies up enough money, Jeff will go.  But it would have to be a good situation for him to want to leave what he has here.  Being on a team that should have a shot at another Super Bowl next year would have to be part of that equation, I would think.  What other contending team wants to pay for Garcia to be their starter?  What team would become a contender if they had Garcia as their QB? 

Dallas should try to steal Garcia away from the Eagles to back up Romo.  Jerry's got the money. Garcia would go, but would insist that Jerry get rid of TO!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 04:14:48 PM »
Irritating how much NFL owners make and yet they don't want to pony up for someone like Garcia.  I don't know how much the Eagles made off of the two playoff games but it must be a bundle.  Well, the home game for sure.  I in large part blame Reid for the 2nd and 1 on the 4 yard line turned field goal as a key series that kept Philly Garcia from an NFC title game and who knows, maybe a Bowl appearance.

Chargers have a backup running back who is fantastic, could and probably will start next year elsewhere.  I would love to see them fork out big bank to keep him for at least one more year.  Ditto Donnie Edwards, altho there is obviously some kind of info not being released.
Maybe Edwards refuses to sign a one year deal, i dunno.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
Philly not going with Garcia/Garcia not going with Philly.

Steve Baker, the agent for Garcia, said here Sunday afternoon that the Eagles preferred to have a deal in place with his client before free agency started. Apparently, Garcia asked for a five-day grace period at the outset of unrestricted free agency, one that would permit him to test the market and gauge his value, before determining whether to re-sign with the Eagles.

"Once we would not agree with their ultimatum," Baker said, "they apparently moved on to [Feeley] to get a deal there. But Jeff will be fine."

I hope the Chargers can sign Garcia but he prolly won't accept a backup role.  Phillip Rivers could reinjure his ankle at any time.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 10:48:07 PM »
I bet Garcia would jump at the chance to play with the Chargers, even as a backup.  Out of all the teams that have a chance to get back to the Supe next year, it's San Diego.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 12:27:55 PM »
The Eagles left Garcia twisting in the wind.  Unwilling to bid for his services, they asked Garcia to tell them what he wanted. 

This is the way the Eagles operate- they would rather go with the younger less-tested and less accomplished backup than reward Garcia for what he did last season.

Just once, I'd like to see this come back to bite them.  I'd love to see Jeff go to San Diego or some decent team with a legitimate shot, that will run into the Eagles in a must win game, where Jeff throws the winning touchdown right in front of Andy Reid.

I really hope some decent team gives him an offer, he deserves the chance and has demonstrated the ability to get a team to the Super Bowl.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 12:47:40 PM »
Cheap Eagles.
One year deal with nice bonus seems the fairest for all concerned.  C'mon AJ Smith and San Diego, sign Garcia.

Damon Huard is another one RT.  KC Chiefs are not cheap and re signed him.  I just hope its with the intent he will get to compete for starter.  Trent Green had his run, its over.
Huard has great, consistent stats in what little career time he has gotten.  Last year he finally gets some starts, goes 5-3 with 10 TDs and only one INT.  98 QB rating.  Yet Green gets to stink up the wildcard game?  Bogus. 

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stay in Philly, collect the $$$
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 10:53:19 PM »
Hey ricko!

This is the way the Eagles operate- they would rather go with the younger less-tested and less accomplished backup than reward Garcia for what he did last season.

Substitute 'Lakers' for 'Eagles' and 'O'Neal' for 'Garcia', and this is how all-too-many Lakers fans feel about the LAL.  I was at Matt & Tony's sandwich shop (the best, IMHO) the other day listening to some of the patrons discussing Lakers-related tidbits...of course, because I was wearing an "O'Neal 34" Lakers jersey they had to start talking good stuff about 'The Daddy', knowing a 'True Believer' was in earshot...LOL  Anyway, the point is that even the most psycho Kobe-fan admits that the LAL were a hundred times better with #34 than without him...and no one in NBA history plays to the crowd like 'The Big Historical'.

http://www.insidesocal.com/video/videos/what_happens_in_vegas_stays_in.html

That's a pretty mean 'worm', espeically by a 7-footer!

-RB
Shaq #1

Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?