Author Topic: How important do you consider a team's road record to be?  (Read 2436 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
How important do you consider a team's road record to be?
« on: April 09, 2007, 06:13:05 PM »
One stat that is hardly ever discussed is the team's road record and whether or not it is above .500.

IMO, this really separates the contenders from the pretenders. 

The reason is simple: Hardly any NBA team will have a better away record than their home record.  They all play better at home.  This means that the ones who have a good away record are really the best teams, consistently playing better, even in a hostile environment.

The only limit to this stat is teams that have gone through a major transition, like Miami playing for so long without Wade, or Detroit adding Chris Webber.  Those circumstances will skew the team's real strength.

Here are the teams with the best road records in order.  Only those at or above .500 are listed.

Dallas         29-9
Phoenix       27-12
San Antonio 26-12
Detroit        25-13
Houston      22-16
Denver        19-18

It is very interesting that Detroit is the only team in the East with a winning road record, they actually have a slightly better away record!

I do find it curious that Denver, which has gone through so much from Carmello's suspension to the injuries and the Iverson trade- which really changed Denver's chemistry, managed to have a winning road record.  It could simply be a quirk of the schedule, or maybe they really are a better team than their overall record indicates. 

Miami is something of a sleeper because of their circumstance.  Whether they contend or not depends on how quickly Wade can become reintegrated with the team.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How important do you consider a team's road record to be?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 10:01:08 PM »
Can you hit us with some NBA finalists road records?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 08:41:13 AM »
Probably not, since the NBA archives don't break down the schedule records with that level of detail.  It appears as though every team that won the Championship had a positive away record, but not necessarily the best away record, and that was just a sampling of the last 2 Champs.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 08:55:19 AM »
Last five Finals...

Miami   21-20   Mavs  26-15
Spurs   21-20   Pistons 22-19
Pistons 23-18   Lakers 22-19
Spurs   27-14   Nets 16-25
Lakers  24-17   Nets 19-22
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 09:02:10 AM »
Another little tidbit...

In the past 5 years only the 2003 Spurs had best record in NBA & won the title. Poor Dallas...about to find out that regular season "championship" isn't all it is cracked up to be.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 11:29:34 AM »
Thanks Lurker, but we have been through the bit about the best record before.  Just beating out another team isn't really a great differential.  But when a team is close to or above 70 games, it's not just a little better, it's a lot better!

So you may want to discount what Dallas has done, but based on the past, that would appear to be a mistake.

It's actually more important to know how the top teams do against other top teams.  It's one thing to beat up on the Celtics or the Sixers, quite another to routinely beat a Cleveland or a Washington or a Utah.

Head to head between teams used to be a good indicator, but teams don't play each other enough during the regular season to strategize for it.  Back in the old days when teams played each other 5-6 times during the regular season, and there were fewer playoff spots, teams worked much harder on game planning to beat specific opponents. 

The NBA has gotten too big for that, and it's lost something as a result.  I grew up watching the Sixers and Celts battle it out every year.  And the rivalry was very entertaining.  You could see them get up for every game just to see what was up.  They would work very hard on trying to come up with a successful game plan in the reg. season, and this would carry over into the playoffs.

Now, more than half the teams in the league get into the playoffs, so regular season play has lost some of it's significance, and there are fewer teams who are real contenders and many more who are pretenders.

Dallas just bettered the Spurs last year, and it was a very close series.  It would be reasonable to expect if these teams meet again, it will be very similar to last year, with the outcome uncertain.  I might argue that Dallas is better, but not by enough to make a series between the two a lock.

I thought Dallas was actually better than Miami last year, but they choked.  Miami deserves some credit for that!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 12:22:17 PM »
65+ wins has Titled 9 of 10.

But as you mentioned, it's a different league now and records (or trends) are made to be broken.
Bosox down 0-3 to Yankees.
So we shall see.

I'm not even discounting a good fight from Houston vs Dallas should that be Round 2.  At least that's what I'm hoping.  Houston taking over home court R1 as Utah is really in a funk.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 01:53:16 PM »
That's one trend I don't expect to be broken.  A team that wins 65+ is a dominant team, that's the only way to get a record like that.

Houston has come on very strong lately.  That is very positive, teams want to go into the playoffs hot. 

I wonder how much Dallas and SA are looking forward to their last meeting.  It will mean more to the Spurs and can make a difference in the seedings.  Currently Dallas is ahead 2-1, but I'm sure you Spurs fans are more familiar with what happened in each of those games.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 02:00:17 PM »
^^ The 1 Spurs win was with TallBall Frankie Elson alongside Duncan.  Of course it was also one of Dallas' opening 4 in a row losses.

The 2 Dallas wins were with Popycocks silly smallball lineups.

The past month the Spurs and Pop have been a completely different team.  Veteran team, knows its all about the playoffs.

I look for another barnburner should they meet in WCFs.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 02:12:06 PM »
Rick...how dominate is Dallas this year?  Let's look at Mavs, Spurs and Suns against some of the top teams.  Overall record against the following opponents: Mavs, Suns, Spurs, Jazz, Rockets, Heat, Pistons, Bulls.

Mavs  12-7
Suns   10-9
Spurs  11-9

So to paraphrase your earlier comment...it is one thing to beat up on the also rans.  But dominate teams distance themselves from their nearest competition.  The Mavs haven't really proven that they are dominate this year.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 02:36:24 PM »
And I've got to say, besides the stats, while Dallas of course looks good, i have in no way shape or form been blown away by their performance in the games i've seen.

Completely healthy Spurs lineup most notably the Big 3 and i say bring on the Mavs.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 03:18:11 PM »
Rick...how dominate is Dallas this year?  Let's look at Mavs, Spurs and Suns against some of the top teams.  Overall record against the following opponents: Mavs, Suns, Spurs, Jazz, Rockets, Heat, Pistons, Bulls.

Mavs  12-7
Suns   10-9
Spurs  11-9

So to paraphrase your earlier comment...it is one thing to beat up on the also rans.  But dominate teams distance themselves from their nearest competition.  The Mavs haven't really proven that they are dominate this year.

That's a great post, Lurker.  And you're right.  It looks like there's very little between these teams.  There isn't parity in the league by any means those three teams are the best of the best, along with Detroit.  Any one of them, along with Miami has a shot.

I am really looking forward to the playoffs this year.  Whoever gets out of the West will probably be at a disadvantage from the difficult series they will be facing.

One team that IMO, deserves honorable mention is Denver.  They've won 6 in a row and are comming together at the right time- just as the playoffs are near.  They are still figuring out how to play together, and this time is critical for them to work out the bugs.  They're not going to have too much time to figure out how to play once they start off against the Spurs or the Suns. 

Hate to say it, but with the Lakers falling fast at this time, the team that gets them will have an easier series.  Who do you guys think is tougher, the Lakers or Clippers?

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 05:06:30 PM »
On paper I would say the Lakers, but there is ZERO cohesiveness to them right now, they have dropped to 7 and while they may still give the Suns a series, they are a 1 and done team, where I expected at least second round potential out of them earlier in the year but injuries have devestated them and destroyed the team ball we were seeing before Odem went down.

All I have to say is, anybody but Dallas, which means I will be rooting for any team that can take them down, I and I personally think the Spurs cold be that team and Phoenix as well, they punk slapped them the last 2 times they met and that to me sends a message, regular season means NOTHING when you are at the level these 3 teams are, anyone can take the other down although I think the Suns would have no chance against the Spurs.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 04:03:48 PM »
First, it doesn't really seperate the contenders from the pretenders because there are a number of teams that are playing decent ball on the road but are not a true contender.  Denver is not a true contender yet they are playing over .500 on the road.  The last couple of years they actually were decent on the road but were not a contender.

To answer the question tho?  It honestly depends on the team.  If the Spurs were .500 or .455 on the road I wouldn't be so quick to jump up and point it out as say, Houston, who has not proved they can actually win on other peoples floor in the playoffs for several years.  If it is someone like say the Lakers, Clippers, or Nuggets I would say it gives you a better idea of how low of a chance they have when they play an elite team.  The Nuggets I would say have a better chance taking a game up front then say the Clippers or Lakers because they've shown they can win on other teams floors.

I think the real important stat is actually how well the teams have done on the road against just playoff teams in their conference.  Since a team could really throttle EC teams (I believe Dallas has done a number on EC teams this year) and inflate their road stat but never really see most of those teams.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com