Author Topic: Reality, whats your take on the Angels signing Gary Matthews Jr.?  (Read 793 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
So what do you think, 5 years and $50 million for Sarge Jr.?  I went on an Angels board and got some flip answers, so what are your thoughts.

Personally this is the WORST FA signing in a very long time.  this guy has been released 4 times, is a lifetime .263 hitter, not much power, overrated as a defender, in short a 4th outfielder on a mediocre team.  All that for $10 million a year for the next 5.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Reality, whats your take on the Angels signing Gary Matthews Jr.?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 11:54:26 PM »
I'm not as down on it as you are as I don't know what else they were going to do in Center.  No FAs to sign.
Altho Chone Figgins is money on defense in Center, but no big HR pop.
Yes the money and the years are the head scratcher.
Career year, no doubt.  What the Angels think Mathews Jr. did differently with the Rangers last year, i dont know.
Human Growth Hormone to the rescue?  Which the Angels will make sure he stays on in double doze?

However Arte Moreno was supposed to be Steinbrenner-like in pursuing another title.
Much more disappointed they did not sign Soriano and Frank Thomas.  Yes both of them.
Vlade needs another bat, preferably two.
Soriano
Vlad Guerro
Frank Thomas.
ohh i like that middle order.

Pitching looks even worse as I fear Bart Colon may be effectively done.  Never to return to the Cy Young days.
I think he blew it out vs Cuba in the Worlds.
F-Rod did a partial blow in year 2 IMO.
Weaver goes to Cardinals and becomes Series MVP. ::)
Bud Black i dont think is that good zig.  I think he rolled out the balls in the Series year.

If Angels are going to try to limp thru with Garret Anderson at DH, I'm done with my ticket packs.
Arte is supposed to be Latino heaven, so maybe they have some *hidden* stars coming up.  I doubt it.