Author Topic: Sixers a 50 game winner, this season?  (Read 2261 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers a 50 game winner, this season?
« on: October 26, 2006, 12:30:17 PM »
Given what I saw last night, the statement isn't as crazy as it seems.  OK, it was only a preseason game, but the Sixers were playing the team the pundits picked as the best in their division, the New Jersey Nets.  According to the announcers, their coach intended this game to be a tuneup for his starters, and Kidd, Jefferson and Vince were playing along with Kritic.

The Sixers also intended for this game to be a tuneup-it being the last preseason game for the team.

Well it opened up as I figured with NJ opening up a lead and getting Samuel Dalembert into foul trouble.  But when Steven Hunter came onto the floor, the Sixers started rebounding, playing defence, passing the ball, and outhustling the Nets on both ends.

They tied the game at halftime, and by the end of the third quarter, they had a 10 pt. lead and finished going away by 20.

The rebounding was even, but the Sixers forced the Nets into 9 more turnovers and had 5 blocked shots.  Uncharacteristically for last season, the Sixers also had 31 assists as oppossed to 22 by the Nets. Iverson led the Sixers in assists with 12 and only scored 12 pts.

The Sixers had 6 players in double figures, with the highest scorer, Korver at 22, and the lowest of the double figure scorers, Iverson with 12.

It isn't logical to extrrapolate a win total based on one preseason game, but the Sixers haven't played that many, and a preseason prediction has to be based on limited information anyway.

So let me put it like this:  If the Sixers play with the same effort and quality that they did last night, they will win at least 50 games and win the Atlantic division.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 12:53:06 PM »
While encouraging for the 6ers, I'm sure a team led by Jason Kidd as its pg will make adjustments for the next time.

Mo Cheeks coaching has never impressed me, don't see any change there.
However with Mo Malone as big men coach, I'm looking for improvment yes.

40-49 wins, not 50.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 12:57:01 PM »
The only way the Sixer win 50 games is if you count the pre-season and the playoffs, and they win at least 6 games in those two combined.

Philadelphia is an example of the sum of the parts being less than the sum of the individual pieces.  Part of that stems from the fact that Iverson runs the show...heck...he *IS* the show.  Iverson and Webber both want to dominate the ball, and both have the numbers to show why that's a good idea for them to get to do it.  But it doesn't change the fact that there's one too few basketball on the court for both guys to be happy.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 01:56:57 PM »
I just can't see enough improvements in the Sixers to account for a 12 game increase in wins.  I can see 5-7 game improvement...which could be enough to win the Atlantic...but not enough to hit 50.

Another way to look at it is that only 6 teams had 50 wins last season: Mavs, Spurs, Suns, Pistons, Heat, Cavs.  I don't see Philly joining...or replacing...anyone in that group.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 02:12:31 PM »
Joe's scenario is what happened last year.  Last year's experience should have demonstrated what will happen with Iverson and Webber if they do the same thing this year:  they'll get their stats, and no one will notice or care. Webber didn't even make the all star game with his 20 and 10 stat.  No one seriously considered Iverson for any MVP honors.

That doesn't mean it won't happen, but IMO, neither Iverson or Webber want any duplication of last year.  If winning and making the playoffs are what drives them, and it should at this point in their careers, they will focus more on getting their teamates involved and forgetting about their own stats.

Winning 50 games doesn't mean that any of last year's winners have to get knocked down a peg, it can simply mean that the loosing teams loose that much more.

The Pistons are far removed from their title season, and without Ben Wallace in the middle, I wouldn't consider them a lock for 50 games.  Also, Cleveland has LeBron and Hughes- which makes them a decent team that can put up a lot of points, but they also have Ilguaskus at Center, and they're not winning any titles with him at that postion!  Cleveland will probably win 50, but they're not going to get the better of the good teams out there like Miami.

12 games is a huge increase from a year ago, I'll agree. But it should be a reasonble goal for a group with 2 budding stars in Igoudala and Dalembert, the addition of Willie Green, some solid role players for the second team and Iverson and Webber around to supply the extra juice when needed.

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 02:35:23 PM »
The Pistons are far removed from their title season, and without Ben Wallace in the middle, I wouldn't consider them a lock for 50 games. Also, Cleveland has LeBron and Hughes- which makes them a decent team that can put up a lot of points, but they also have Ilguaskus at Center, and they're not winning any titles with him at that postion! Cleveland will probably win 50, but they're not going to get the better of the good teams out there like Miami.

12 games is a huge increase from a year ago, I'll agree. But it should be a reasonble goal for a group with 2 budding stars in Igoudala and Dalembert, the addition of Willie Green, some solid role players for the second team and Iverson and Webber around to supply the extra juice when needed.

Okay, the Pistons are a FAR superior team to the Sixers even without Ben Wallace in the middle.  Okay, take Ben Wallace out of the middle defensively and add Nazr Mohammed -- sure you lose SOME but you still have some very good defenders for the Pistons.  Who is a great defender on the Sixers?  Webber?  lol  AI?  lol  Dalembert?  lol  (don't confuse a great shotblocker with a great defender)

Also, 2 budding stars in Igoudala and Dalembert?  Iggy is a budding star?  Is this his year?  Nobody wants to take a step out there yet but most agree it could be.  

Dalembert?  Most see potential but this is a guy who fought with Steven Hunter for the starting position last year -- let me say that again -- he competed with STEVEN HUNTER for a starting position.  You have Dalembert as the next Tim Duncan and that's a homer pick, Rick.  Dalembert has potential but I don't know anyone that would call him a "budding star."

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 02:53:35 PM »
Philadelphia is an example of the sum of the parts being less than the sum of the individual pieces. Part of that stems from the fact that Iverson runs the show...heck...he *IS* the show. Iverson and Webber both want to dominate the ball, and both have the numbers to show why that's a good idea for them to get to do it. But it doesn't change the fact that there's one too few basketball on the court for both guys to be happy.

I disagree.  There aren't too few basketball's on the court for Philly its that the one basketball the other team has goes in the net the Sixers "try" to defend a little too easily.  

The problem isn't Philly's offense, their was nothing wrong with it, whether Iverson and Webber dominated the ball or not.  They finished 8th in scoring and 10th in FG percentage.  Its their defense where they were 25th in points allowed and 22nd in FG percentage allowed.  

So unless Webber regains his speed and suddenly becomes a defensive beast and Iverson quits cheating in the passing lanes and plays solid defense, 50 wins is a pipe dream since those two will each see heavy minutes.  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 03:13:12 PM »
Sixers will be lucky to crack the mid 40's in wins.  Iggs is the East coast version of Darius Miles.  Dalambert sucks, he's too dumb to ever take advantage of his physical gifts.  He doesn't progress developing his skills or bulking up his body.  He will stay in the league because he's 7 feet tall but he doesn't look like the type of guy who will ever work to become anything in the league.

AI and Webber could have been a force 5 years ago but they've got too much mileage on them to do anything special this year or in the future.  Because the East is so weak the Sixers should make and get bounced from the first round of the playoffs.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 03:43:28 PM »
A 10 game jump is quite a bit and takes major improvements in a team on its own.  Also, the talent you are going up against in the EC has to stay the same or diminish.  I just don't see any of the EC teams (Except the Pistons) really getting weaker then they were last year.

If they add a solid defender or they really focus in on defense during the regular season then I could see them getting close.  I just cannot say it will happen.  Defense is the reason why they lost alot of close games.  I can think of 3 or 4 that I watched last year that the 76ers ended up losing due to defense.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 03:45:04 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 03:59:04 PM »
If Dalembert is a bust, Philly will have a hard time cracking 50 wins.  There are no excuses for him this time around.

The Sixers have two 6-11 players who can block shots and get open for easy baskets when the defense is napping.

But the Sixers need more from the Center postion than that, with Webber as their PF.  The noise from the Sixers is that they think Dalembert can compete for the rebounding title, and think that 14 rpg should do it.

It all depends on Sam's ability to avoid picking up stupid fouls and having to sit.  If he plays 35 or so min per game, he should be able to lead the league in rebounding and blocked shots and make about 10 pts a game.  Even if the time is split between Dalembert and Hunter, the combination of the two should be at the top in Rebounds and Blocks and get at least 10 pts a game.

The league just doesn't have a lot of players who can stop a 6-11 player from scoring.  There are lots of "bagel" teams in the NBA, and once you get past the Duncan, Shaq, Garnett, Stoudamire and Nowitsky, most of the others can't play at a high level.

Who in the Atlantic division has better Centers than the Sixers?  In the conference Miami clearly is better, but beyond them there are few teams with even one passable center.  Here, is where the Sixers have an edge, and all they need to do is make sure that they run plays that cause the other teams to forget about Dalembert and Hunter.  With slashers like Iverson, Green and Iggy and an outside shooter to keep the defense honest, that shouldn't be too hard for the Sixers to accomplish.

They really should make it to the 2nd round before running into a more complete team.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 07:19:54 PM »
The problem isn't Philly's offense, their was nothing wrong with it, whether Iverson and Webber dominated the ball or not. They finished 8th in scoring and 10th in FG percentage. Its their defense where they were 25th in points allowed and 22nd in FG percentage allowed.

Thank you.  I keep hearing about Webber and Iverson not working, and not enough balls on the court, and it's hogwash.  The 76ers succeeded offensively last year, and Webber was not held back one iota (not by the team, at least).

Defense and rebounding are the problems of this team.

And Rick, I think this team has a better chance of winning 30 games or less than winning 50.  The upside of this team is .500 ball, unless Iggy or Carney explode.

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 07:23:21 PM »
Actually, I'd call Nenad Krstic a MUCH better center than Dalembert.

You're calling for Dalembert to be a double-double guy, while WEBBER came up just short of it last year?

Why don't you just hand Mo Cheeks the coach-of-the-year award while you're at it?