Author Topic: Isiah Thomas getting nasty about Greg Anthony's  (Read 1140 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Isiah Thomas getting nasty about Greg Anthony's
« on: October 18, 2006, 05:46:57 PM »
This kind of applies to us too guys, as we did talk smack on the NY Knicks draft day decisions...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

siah takes ESPN analyst to task
Marty Burns, SI.com

Marty Burns
SI.com

NEW YORK -- The surprising play of rookie forward Renaldo Balkman this preseason has Knicks GM/coach Isiah Thomas feeling good. And he's letting ESPN analyst Greg Anthony, a former Knick, hear about it.

Still upset over Anthony's draft night criticism after the Knicks selected the unheralded Balkman with the No. 20 pick, Thomas ripped his fellow former point guard Wednesday.

"This so-called former Knick, on draft night with millions of people watching, had the audacity to take me to task on a player that I'm pretty sure he had never seen before in his life," Thomas said. "But he stands on national television and talks about a kid he has absolutely no idea about. I'm just glad that all of New York doesn't think like Greg Anthony."

Thomas went on to question Anthony's credentials as a TV commentator, and even took a slap at his 12-year NBA playing career.

ADVERTISEMENT
"Greg Anthony should never ever be in a position to question myself on anything about basketball," Thomas said. "I do remember the kind of player he was. I'll leave it at that.

Balkman, a 6-8 forward from South Carolina, has played well during New York's first three exhibition games. He had 11 points and seven boards in 16 minutes against the Nets in his debut, and had nine points, seven rebounds and two steals in 13 minutes in Tuesday night's exhibition win over the Celtics. His hustle and energy even won over the Madison Square Garden crowd, which gave him a rousing ovation as he left the floor.

With Balkman off to a good start, Thomas felt free to vent some of his pent-up anger.

"This is between Greg and I," Thomas said in a lengthy diatribe about Anthony to the media after the Knicks practice. "The things he said on draft night ... after all the good solid work we had done in the draft ... for him to take that position he took ... I thought he was way way way out of bounds."

Thomas , who was booed by the New York crowd and widely panned by other ESPN commentators on draft night, said he was singling out Anthony because of his status as a former Knicks player. He said he hadn't spoken to Anthony, but would love to in the future.

"I just thought he was very unfair to the Knicks organization," Thomas said. "It would be different had he not worn a Knick uniform. But for a guy who claims to have been a Knick, to treat the Knicks the way he treated us that night ... I know a Piston would never do that. A Celtic would never do that. A Laker would never do that. It wouldn't happen. It just goes to show you what we're dealing with."

Thomas went on to refer to Anthony several more times during the remainder of the 15-minute session with reporters, sometimes even on unrelated questions.

When asked whether he could see Balkman someday defending LeBron James or Tracy McGrady, Thomas replied, "Wait a minute, hold on now ... you can run him out there but he'll probably get stepped on a little bit ... Unlike Greg Anthony, I do have respect for others."

When asked about the Knicks' dismal season a year ago, and what role all the injuries played, Thomas said, "We all were in a funk last year ... Greg Anthony was in a funk."

Later, when talking about Balkman's ability to handle the ball, a reporter jokingly asked if he had a better handle than Greg Anthony. "Most definitely," Thomas said. "Greg could only go left."

Anthony declined to comment through an ESPN spokesman.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 07:05:22 PM »
Nothing Isiah says will make any difference when the season starts.  There's no way he's going to get more out of that group than Larry Brown did.

The Knicks are a dismal franchise, in large part stuck because of the job Isaih did as GM.  The only justice is that now he gets to coach the bunch he assembled.

Oh well, at least the NY fans still have the Mets.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 07:23:55 PM »
Nothing Isiah says will make any difference when the season starts.  There's no way he's going to get more out of that group than Larry Brown did.

On this one I have to disagree Rick.  The Knicks I don't believe will be a good team, and I doubt they will make the playoffs.   But I will be the first to say Isaih will get more wins this year than Larry Brown did last.  Larry Brown is a very good NBA coach, but he did one of the worst coaching jobs in league history last year.  He got fired and he deserved to get fired.

Does Zeke deserve to get fired as GM?  I think so, he spent millions upon millions for the second worst team in the league, gave up the second pick for Eddie Curry, and the coach he hired did a horrible job.  Coaching this season though I think he will easily get to 32-35 wins, perhaps a few more.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

jn

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 08:39:08 PM »
That stuff about how a former Laker or Celtic would never say things like that bout their former team is bull. Anthony is an announcer now and by being willing to criticize his former team is simply the kind of objective professionalism his current job requires.  Heck, when McHale announced for the Wolves he openly criticized the Celtics.  Imagine Isaiah's logic applied to a Bill Walton announced Blazers game.  "Everything has been great here in Portland. Solid free agent signings, great chemistry and players who are an asset to the community."  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 08:40:44 AM »
I would also like to point out that Balkman has had 3 good games (if 15-18 minutes is enough to judge on) in the PRESEASON.  I'm sure that he didn't play against the starters from those other teams. This kid is still just a few REAL games removed from being a bust.  Isiah may still end up eating crow on this one....
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 10:01:35 AM »
I would also like to point out that Balkman has had 3 good games (if 15-18 minutes is enough to judge on) in the PRESEASON.  I'm sure that he didn't play against the starters from those other teams. This kid is still just a few REAL games removed from being a bust.  Isiah may still end up eating crow on this one....
Depends who he has been playing because a number of teams are letting their starters play decent minutes, at least in the pacific division they are.  

Although I do agree, let's not count the chickens before they hatch here.  Who is to say that once teams are fully clicking and players are in mid-season form if he will be able to do anything.  Another thing to mention is that coaches are playing with lineups and sets.  I see alot of new sets being ran that might not be part of the game plan come Novemeber/December.  
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com