Author Topic: Iverson refuses to play from bench  (Read 4045 times)

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
Iverson refuses to play from bench
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2004, 07:21:58 PM »
Larry Bird for one.  Came off the bench for almost a month.

I'm betting that Bird was coming off a serious injury. This was not the case regarding AI.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Iverson refuses to play from bench
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2004, 09:14:51 PM »
I'm siding with AI in this this case. There is no reason that Ford could not have put him as a starter, with the provision that AI might have his minutes limited if it looked like AI was impaired. AI might not have been thrilled about that compromise, but he would have dealt with it. Ford deliberately inflamed this situation because he view AI as a bad ass who needs to be broken. The business about needing AI down the road is an excuse made up after the fact because it's clear the Sixers are not going to make the playoffs.

Since Ford took over the coaching chair, there have been several public flare-ups. I lay the blame for that squarely at the feet of both the new coach and AI. AI should have called the coach directly to report he wouldn't be at practice/playing once he knew that that was the coach's policy. And the coach needs to drop the bad-cop attitude and try to see the situation from AI's point of view too. AI had every reason to think he would come back as a starter. At least 75% of the head coaches in the NBA have their starter come back as starters, even if they limit their minutes initially. This is even more so the case if the player is just returning from a minor injury.
gaither I probably from my post sound like i am siding with Ford, which did not mean to convery in an absolute.

I agree that it appears Ford is looking for power confrontations with AI.  However as you post "AI should have called the coach directly to report he wouldn't be at practice/playing once he knew that that was the coach's policy."  Exactamente.  This to me was completely premeditated by A.I. to force the power issue.  Once Ford kept him out he now LIVES to perpetuate the I'm the superstar and also the 'chip on the block' sullen face everybody be out to get me crap ala rappers et al.  I don't think for a second that A.I. truly had no idea he would be gameworthy until just before gametime.
  While as i stated Ford also appears to be looking for a power confrontation, is it not the TEAM policy that injured player gets cleared by team doctor(s).  Look at it this way.  Ford lets AI slide into the last minute lineup.  AI procedes to be injured.  Ford gets butt chewed and held accountable for allowing him in game sans team doctor(s) okaying.

I'm also waiting to see if any other posters can recall star or superstar coming off bench from a minor injury.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 09:29:02 PM by Reality »