Author Topic: Just noticed the old MSNBC boards are back.  (Read 18606 times)

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm here to stay
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2007, 01:46:02 PM »
I wouldn't exactly characterize myself as Senator Palpatine - I am simply ambivalent about the Lakers these days.  'Kobme' turns me off so heavily that there is NO WAY I can unstintingly pull for the LAL as I used to.  The very fact that I am a Spurs supporter now (although only half-heartedly. I admit) demonstrates that Busschak made the wrong choice when they let #34 and Phil go.  What else.

Think about it - when did a Lakers superstar ever leave for greener pastures before Shaq?  Answer: NEVER...because pre-Shaqdump there WAS nowhere better to go.

- Rolando
Shaq #1 forever
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Just noticed the old MSNBC boards are back.
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2007, 02:34:04 PM »
Hey RB! Great to have you back. 

In answer to your question below, yes the Wolves still have Mad Dog.  He's been injured quite a bit.   He's probably been more valuable as a resource for community relations than as a player.  If you're interested I did a big thread on the Wolves a few weeks back.  It's on here somewhere. It's about the state of the Wolves and is ironically titled "State of the Wolves."

Congrats on getting the kidling into school.  I'm a bit worried about the wheat grass thing though. I mean, your kid develops his "cultivating" skills and then you send him to college?  Hmmm,,, you and the wife should start "Junior's Bail Money" account soon.

And damn all of you with this taco talk! This is like the third time this topic has come up and once again I feel the NEED to go stuff myself with some carnitas.  As Lurker said, Midwest Mexican can be horrible but in the past decade my neighborhood has seen a boom in authentic places.  There are now a few places I go to where it's not uncommon for me to be the only gringo in the place. 

« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 02:35:47 PM by jn »
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: I'm here to stay
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2007, 02:43:22 PM »
I wouldn't exactly characterize myself as Senator Palpatine - I am simply ambivalent about the Lakers these days.  'Kobme' turns me off so heavily that there is NO WAY I can unstintingly pull for the LAL as I used to.  The very fact that I am a Spurs supporter now (although only half-heartedly. I admit) demonstrates that Busschak made the wrong choice when they let #34 and Phil go.  What else.
Think about it - when did a Lakers superstar ever leave for greener pastures before Shaq?  Answer: NEVER...because pre-Shaqdump there WAS nowhere better to go.

- Rolando
Shaq #1 forever
Is this not a joyful day.  Inspires future hope also.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2007, 03:08:27 PM »

- Rolando
Shaq #1 forever

I don't want to get re-hash all the Shaq/Kobe nonsense.  But I will say that I think Mitch Kupchak is looking pretty darn good right about now.  After two bleak seasons, the Lakers now all of the sudden look like one of the more deep, youthful, and athletic teams in the league.  They're nowhere near Championship level at this point, but I'll take battling for 3rd/4th with SA mid season right now. 

Had we signed Shaq to that retarded extension, we'd still not be winning championships and our cap would be leveraged to the hilt with a fatty collecting checks from the bench. 

How many games has Shaq played for Miami this year?  4.   No thanks, I'm glad he's not collecting $20mil from our bench. 

I think Mitch and Jerry deserve some props for having the balls to make a tough trade and build for the future rather than letting some lazy-arse strong arm them in to mortgaging the future of the franchise. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2007, 04:13:13 PM »
How many games has Shaq played for Miami this year?  4. 

4 games at the end of last season.  He didn't say anything about an extension.
Quit trying to rain on RoBlacks welcome back party.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2007, 04:24:37 PM »
I don't think it is fair to ask you to understand the simple concept that there would be no Wade on the Lakers team if Shaq would have stayed.   I mean you are having a hard time understanding the whole Spurs/Scolla deal and why it doesn't make sense money wise.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2007, 05:16:44 PM »
Alonso Mourning is better than Shaq at this point in their respective careers.  His defensive presense, combined with Wades studliness are the two main reasons Miami won it all last season. 

Offline Rolando Blackman

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hello, all
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2007, 09:40:32 PM »

I would really like to travel to Mexico City.   Just to take it in and see what it is like.  I've heard it is really bad there.  What is it really like though?   Although it seems like the uppity people in Southern California say that about everywhere in Mexico that isnt Cabo.  People made Tijuana sound like as soon as you step foot into it, no matter what time it is, you are going to get shot and/or have money stolen by the police.  I understand it is a very shady area (boy do I have a story about what someone showed me regarding a backstreet right off revolution) but during the day it is nowhere near what anyone described prior to myself actually going down there.  The prices there now though have really shot up for those who havent been down there in a while. 

Hey wk!

One thing I have learned about Mexico from 'mis hijas' (my daughters) at my laundry service is the very regional character of the various states in that nation.  The cultures of the areas of northern Mexico are very different than those in the southern (such as Quintana Roo) part of the country - this is reflected even in the ethnicity of the populace.  They ain't all just 'Messkins', as is said!

Have you ever listened to 'corridos' by Chalino Sanchez?  This guy rules!  I am thinking of learning how to play the accordion  (I play the piano already) because of Norteno musica.

- Rolando
Shaq #1 forever
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here

Offline Rolando Blackman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2007, 09:50:54 PM »

And damn all of you with this taco talk! This is like the third time this topic has come up and once again I feel the NEED to go stuff myself with some carnitas.  As Lurker said, Midwest Mexican can be horrible but in the past decade my neighborhood has seen a boom in authentic places.  There are now a few places I go to where it's not uncommon for me to be the only gringo in the place. 

Hey jn!

Seeing your reference to 'Midwest Mexican' immediately returned memories (believe it or not wk, as I was writing this to jn I was thinking in Spanish - dang) of when I was last in Jamestown, North Dakota eating 'Mexican' food - well, at least they gave you a lot of it.  Then again, that's how they do it in any eatery in that part of the country - there IS a reason why those corn-fed NoDak girls are stumpy (Chickie Baby - snif), to say the least!

- Rolando
Shaq #1 forever
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2007, 10:44:42 AM »

I would really like to travel to Mexico City.   Just to take it in and see what it is like.  I've heard it is really bad there.  What is it really like though?   Although it seems like the uppity people in Southern California say that about everywhere in Mexico that isnt Cabo.  People made Tijuana sound like as soon as you step foot into it, no matter what time it is, you are going to get shot and/or have money stolen by the police.  I understand it is a very shady area (boy do I have a story about what someone showed me regarding a backstreet right off revolution) but during the day it is nowhere near what anyone described prior to myself actually going down there.  The prices there now though have really shot up for those who havent been down there in a while. 

Hey wk!

One thing I have learned about Mexico from 'mis hijas' (my daughters) at my laundry service is the very regional character of the various states in that nation.  The cultures of the areas of northern Mexico are very different than those in the southern (such as Quintana Roo) part of the country - this is reflected even in the ethnicity of the populace.  They ain't all just 'Messkins', as is said!

Have you ever listened to 'corridos' by Chalino Sanchez?  This guy rules!  I am thinking of learning how to play the accordion  (I play the piano already) because of Norteno musica.

- Rolando
Shaq #1 forever

That is what everyone has been telling me.  I would like to expierence it for myself just to see the difference.  Funny you mention that though because at my best friends pool table factory a few of the workers are from the Southern part of Mexico and the rest are from the Northern part.  They always give each other a hard time too.  It is almost cliq'ish.  They have this nick name for one of the guys, a mexican word for a specific kind of tortilla, that comes from the town he is from in the South.  For some reason that darn nick name escapes me.

Never heard of Chalino Sanchez.  Not very big on the marrachi except when I am at a mexican party.  Man mexicans party like no other, partys go for days lol!!  There is one guy who I really like though, Vicente Fernadez and his son, who are AWESOME!  Such a powerfull voice.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 11:43:03 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2007, 11:13:01 AM »
FYI,

The northerners look down on the southerners.  They call them "idio's".  Bascially calling them Indians, they think we're all dummies.  Thing is some of the geatest men in Mexican history were "idio's".

Some tortilla's names are claudas (kla you das) or blandas (bla n das).  Claudas are a tough tortilla, they hold up alot better since you don't have to worry about spoilage.  Blandas are more like the tortillas you are used to up here in the US.

Tell me about Mexican parties.  Weddings and sweet 15s are a three day event.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Rolando Blackman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2007, 12:18:40 PM »

There is one guy who I really like though, Vicente Fernadez and his son, who are AWESOME!  Such a powerfull voice.
Hey wk!

Interesting that you mention Vincente Fernandez - one of 'mis empliadas' is a relative of his.  And yes, she can sing like Mariah Carey!

As I stated in an earlier post, life is funny - one never knows what is around the next corner.

- Rolando
Shaq #1 forever

Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here