Author Topic: Could it finally be....?  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Could it finally be....?
« on: March 23, 2006, 04:21:37 PM »
Last 5 games for one big man scrub named Kwame Brown:

11.6  ppg
7.8    rpg  
2.4    apg
67.7% FG

Is he finally producing like you expected Laker fans?  Now five games is nothing in the grand scheme of things but could he be turning the corner?  And its true, even I have all but given up on Kwame as a hopeless case.  But he has the pedigree, he has the body, he has the potential, and PJ fans would say he now has a direction, is it happening?

Here's what John Nadel of the AP thinks:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Passes still slip through his hands, free throws clank off the rim, and there's not much chance Kwame Brown is going to make a jump shot from any significant distance.

All that being said, Brown performed like an All-Star in perhaps the Los Angeles Lakers' most important game of the season to date, and seems to be making significant strides recently.

"He's been doing the defensive part all year long," Kobe Bryant said Wednesday night following one of the best efforts of Brown's five-year NBA career. "Sometimes, the people want more. Tonight he gave them more."

Brown had a season-high 21 points, 12 rebounds and three assists in the Lakers' 87-80 victory over Sacramento, putting them in seventh place in the Western Conference, a game ahead of the Kings.

He entered averaging 6.0 points and 6.1 rebounds.

"Great game. We told him before the game, they don't bother to guard him, that if he was active, he was going to find some things around there," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "He really did. He found some opportunities tonight.

"He's steadily been playing better and better as he's gotten comfortable."

So much has been expected of Brown, and so little has been realized, since the Washington Wizards made him the first pick in the 2001 draft following his graduation from Glyn Academy High in Brunswick, Ga.

Even as the 6-foot-11, 270-pounder has taken heat from hometown fans and the media, his coach and teammates have been supportive.

"It makes me very proud of him," Bryant said of Brown's latest effort. "I look at all these guys here as little brothers, and to see him out there on the floor in practice working hard is great.

"People have called in on radio stations and talk shows and bashed him, but they don't see him in practice, and they don't see these guys in practice, before practice even, working on their game. So when you see him improve, it's not just something that came out of nowhere -- it's from hard work."

Brown, who turned 24 earlier this month, didn't have that sort of reputation in Washington. Fact is, he rubbed then-Wizards president Michael Jordan the wrong way almost from the start of his career, and Washington couldn't wait to get rid of him when the Lakers came calling last summer.

Desperately needing an inside presence, the Lakers acquired Brown in a four-player deal, sending highly regarded perimeter player Caron Butler to the Wizards.

"I have come in here and done what Coach has asked me to do," Brown said. "He asked me to run, rebound and defend, but unfortunately playing defense is like being a lineman in football -- you just don't get much credit for it.

"With Chris (Mihm) being out, I did not want there to be a letdown for my teammates. I know my role has changed a little bit because I have to go in and score instead of coming off the bench to get Kobe open, run and rebound. I have to do a little more on the offensive end."

Mihm, the Lakers' starting center, sprained his right ankle March 12, and might not return before the end of the regular season. Brown, who has played in 60 games and started 37 for the Lakers, had been coming off the bench before Mihm got hurt.

Now, a lot more is expected, and Brown is producing.

"Inside presence, being physical, that's what we need from him," teammate Lamar Odom said. "The guy's got the best body in the NBA -- he's got to throw it around a little bit."

This wasn't the first time Brown has excelled against the Kings -- he had career-high totals of 30 points and 19 rebounds on March 17, 2004, in Sacramento.

That was, by far, the most productive game of his career.

Brown called his latest performance against the Kings "my best all-around game."

"It feels good," he said. "We got one here, and we have another one here on Friday. We just have to keep building off this win."

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

guest-koast

Could it finally be....?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 04:37:04 PM »
Its amazing how much easier it is to score with T-Rex hands when you use BOTH of them to hold the ball!!!  :D

Honestly though Skand, I am not holding my breathe.  While I think PJ and his staff are doing the right thing by having Kwame focus in mainly on holding his ground and rebounding...he still has along way to go before I personally will sing praises.  On the offensive end he has a voyage that even Christopher Columbus would have trouble making.  His problem is that he's too fast for his own good and his hands are so small the ball slips out when he tries to do any sort of hook in the lane.  Phil and Co have said they don't expect that part of his game to fully come around for another 2 years!!!

One thing I will give him his due props for is his defense.  He has been playing solid defense since December.  At times he has brain farts but for the most part against people boat loads better than him (Duncan and Shaq) he played some hard nosed defense.  That is something that your stats did not show and one part of his game that looks much better than it has in his previous years in the league.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Could it finally be....?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 04:50:59 PM »
Well said, westkoast, I agree.  

He definitely has been impressing me on the defensive end of the floor as the seaoson has gone on.  And his rebounding on both ends of the court has been solid.  He often gets O boards and or taps the ball to a player to keep it alive, you know, the little things, the hustle plays.  I really wanted to hate the guy when he came on board, and lets face it, his offense has given us fan's ample reason to be upset.  But I find myself starting to like this guy and really pull for him to do well.  I'm not holding my breath, but I do believe he is capable of being a 14/10 guy.  That, combined with good D and rebounding would be huge for this club.  The other reason I like him is since he's been here, he's only said the right things.  I know he had a bad rap, relationships, etc. in Washington and it probably was deserved.  But he came here with a clean slate and has done what the coaching staff has asked of him and said all the right things in the media and not gotten down or lashed out when he's had tough games.  I think he's starting to mature and it's showing.  

Guest_Randy

Could it finally be....?
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 05:17:11 PM »
Is he finally producing like you expected Laker fans? Now five games is nothing in the grand scheme of things but could he be turning the corner? And its true, even I have all but given up on Kwame as a hopeless case. But he has the pedigree, he has the body, he has the potential, and PJ fans would say he now has a direction, is it happening?

Umm, you KNOW what I expected from Kwame.

To be fair to Kwame, he has played pretty good defense all year long -- but I've not expected much from his offense.  I HAVE seen him fumble balls too many times this year to hold my breath that he will continue at this point -- if he DOES -- then I will eat my crow and  :hail: to Brown as well as PJ (is Kareem working with Brown too or is he just working with Bynum?).

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Could it finally be....?
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 12:14:10 PM »
I dunno Skand maybe the only person who thought Kwame could turn it around.  Two games since this thread was made and both good  games by Brown.  Last night he had 17 points on 7-7 shooting.   Confidence does wonders for players like Kwame Brown.

It wont be so hard to swallow that crow when we are getting more points in the paint and some good rebounding  :up:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 12:15:05 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

Could it finally be....?
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 03:45:16 PM »
Wait, you know what this REALLY could mean?  Could it be that Kwame Brown is going to have a BIGGER impact in the NBA this year than a guy name Fabricio Oberto!!!   :eek2:

It will be worth eating crow to watch Reality eat some more!!!   :rofl:  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Could it finally be....?
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 06:11:32 PM »
Wait, you know what this REALLY could mean?  Could it be that Kwame Brown is going to have a BIGGER impact in the NBA this year than a guy name Fabricio Oberto!!!   :eek2:

It will be worth eating crow to watch Reality eat some more!!!   :rofl:
Lets get real.  Kwame Brown is not going to have an impact on the 2006 NBA Finals.

Brown is having an admirable reg season influence, something you role player haters/media star worshippers have no choice but to admit.  He is poised to help Kobe finish an astonishing +.500 this season.  It may irritate you that he is taking shots and points away from Kobe, but hopefully a Laker playoff appearance may help soothe you a little.

Sorry, but my Finals viewing menu does not include Crow.  It will include Fabbulous stuff.

koastradamus

Could it finally be....?
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 06:17:46 PM »
Wait, you know what this REALLY could mean?  Could it be that Kwame Brown is going to have a BIGGER impact in the NBA this year than a guy name Fabricio Oberto!!!   :eek2:

It will be worth eating crow to watch Reality eat some more!!!   :rofl:
Lets get real.  Kwame Brown is not going to have an impact on the 2006 NBA Finals.

Brown is having an admirable reg season influence, something you role player haters/media star worshippers have no choice but to admit.  He is poised to help Kobe finish an astonishing +.500 this season.  It may irritate you that he is taking shots and points away from Kobe, but hopefully a Laker playoff appearance may help soothe you a little.

Sorry, but my Finals viewing menu does not include Crow.  It will include Fabbulous stuff.
I am looking into the future....

I see Fabs helping the Spurs in the 2006 finals........

Duncan is slowing down.......

Fabs is coming in..............

Fabs is handing Duncan some gatorade....

Duncan is refreshed and scores 40 points

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Could it finally be....?
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 08:59:28 PM »
koastradamus,

I have an activity which would make you indubitably more productive then the ridiculously low and inaccurate fruitage that comes from human prophesying.

Spurs at Clips Tues night.
Where in The OC can one catch a shuttle/bus/group transport that will take one to Staples and afterwords return them in or 30 mile radius near Mission Viejo?  I ain't doin rush hour traffic thru LA.  Would rather sit n ride.

I called Clips customer service.  They didn't know.  I'm sure when the Lakers play, one can find bus pilgramiges from all points in SoCal to Staples.  As numerous as the sands of the sea.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Could it finally be....?
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 09:51:48 PM »
koastradamus,

I have an activity which would make you indubitably more productive then the ridiculously low and inaccurate fruitage that comes from human prophesying.

Spurs at Clips Tues night.
Where in The OC can one catch a shuttle/bus/group transport that will take one to Staples and afterwords return them in or 30 mile radius near Mission Viejo?  I ain't doin rush hour traffic thru LA.  Would rather sit n ride.

I called Clips customer service.  They didn't know.  I'm sure when the Lakers play, one can find bus pilgramiges from all points in SoCal to Staples.  As numerous as the sands of the sea.
1) Im not in Orange County, I am in texass you know the place you secretly wish you were from (at least until you decide to jump teams again)

2) I don't live in Mission Viejo, I live in Newport Beach so I cant help you

3)  My predictions are solid gold, Fabs is going to contribute the quenching of thirst for this 2006 championship

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Could it finally be....?
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 10:40:00 PM »
1) Im not in Orange County, I am in texass you know the place you secretly wish you were from (at least until you decide to jump teams again)

3)  My predictions are solid gold, Fabs is going to contribute the quenching of thirst for this 2006 championship
1.  And since you are in Texas, you have forgotten anything having to do with Newport Beach and Orange County area.  Talk about a bandwaggoner.

2.  Yeah Newport Beach is in The OC.  Notice how i said 30 mile radius of Mission Viejo.  If Staples Shuttle loaded up at Newport, that would be doable.

3.  95-92 Spurs over Pistons to take a pivotal 2-1 Finals series lead.  The spurs also outrebounded the Pistons 44-40.  Fabs Oberto with 4 points and 4 rebounds. :up:  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Could it finally be....?
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 08:55:41 AM »

3)  My predictions are solid gold, Fabs is going to contribute the quenching of thirst for this 2006 championship
1.  And since you are in Texas, you have forgotten anything having to do with Newport Beach and Orange County area.  Talk about a bandwaggoner.

2.  Yeah Newport Beach is in The OC.  Notice how i said 30 mile radius of Mission Viejo.  If Staples Shuttle loaded up at Newport, that would be doable.

3.  95-92 Spurs over Pistons to take a pivotal 2-1 Finals series lead.  The spurs also outrebounded the Pistons 44-40.  Fabs Oberto with 4 points and 4 rebounds. :up:
How can I be on the bandwagon when I just called it Texass? LOL  Wearing my Laker jacket as I type in the office.  It's not like since I am in Dallas I am a bigtime Mavs fan like a certain someone haha

I am now going to have a reoccuring thread giving props to all guys who score 4 points and get 4 rebounds.

Cant wait to get the board praising guys like:

O'Foyle
Walton
Gazurich (JoMaL did I butcher his name?)
Doleac
Taylor

:up:  

Guest_Randy

Could it finally be....?
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 09:19:59 AM »
Lets get real. Kwame Brown is not going to have an impact on the 2006 NBA Finals.

Neither is Fabs -- the difference?  I don't know ANYONE that came here PROMISING that Kwame was going to make a huge impact for the Lakers -- but someone DID make those statements about Fabs!  Of course, I don't expect you to remember EXACTLY what you said -- it's time for our popular game show:  Reality Twisting!!!