Author Topic: Interesting comments by Dalembert . . .  (Read 671 times)

Guest_Randy

Interesting comments by Dalembert . . .
« on: March 23, 2006, 03:15:12 PM »
PHILADELPHIA -- Steven Hunter was supposed to be elsewhere. Samuel Dalembert was deemed Philadelphia's franchise center after signing a multimillion dollar contract.

Somehow, that all got jumbled.

Hunter has worked his way into the starting lineup since a trade that would have shipped him out of Philadelphia was rescinded. That's meant a demotion for a very unhappy Dalembert.

"I thought I was doing my job, but obviously I wasn't," Dalembert said before the 76ers played Atlanta on Wednesday night.

The 6-foot-11 Dalembert has not started any of the last 11 games since returning from a sprained left ankle. Before that, he had started all 40 games he played this season. Dalembert, who signed a $64 million, six-year deal in the summer, said coach Maurice Cheeks never told him he was in danger of losing his starting spot.

"There was no warning, nothing," Dalembert said.

Dalembert has tried to remain upbeat, but said he would have to talk with management in the offseason if he didn't fit into the Sixers' long-term plans as the team's starting center. With five years left on his deal, his only option would be demanding a trade.

"[If] I'm not capable of getting it done, or I'm not good for this team, let me know," he said. "It's not the biggest deal. I'm not going to get hurt by it. It's a business, but let me know. When you're going to be in a place that many years, you cannot be having years on-and-off like that."

Cheeks said inserting Dalembert into the lineup was complicated by Hunter's outstanding play. Signed away from Phoenix last summer, the 7-foot Hunter struggled as the backup and was traded to the New Orleans Hornets. When health concerns forced the trade to be rescinded, Hunter returned and has played some of the best basketball of his career.

"It's been kind of tough for Sam because Steven has been playing well," Cheeks said.

Hunter scored a career-high 20 points last week at Seattle and went 7-for-7 for 15 points Sunday at Golden State.

"I'm just getting back comfortable to where I was playing for Phoenix," Hunter said. "I've pretty much settled into my own and I'm just trying to play well every night."

Dalembert said the demotion was even more disappointing because it was an injury, not ineffectiveness, that knocked him out of the lineup.

"I wish they would tell me one specific thing I need to get done and, trust me, I would be focused on that one thing and would make sure I would get it done," he said. "But that's not the case. It's not clear to me."

Dalembert said he didn't want to criticize the organization, though he alluded to a strained relationship with Cheeks.

"He's my boss, period," he said. "There's no friendship, nothing."

Coming off the bench has been a tough adjustment for Dalembert. He didn't score in either of the last two games and combined for only seven points the three games before that. Dalembert wished Cheeks gave him an explanation for the demotion, but "that time is over."

"From the beginning, there was time," Dalembert said. "With everything you do, there's a warning. When I was with [former interim coach] Chris Ford, he communicated with me. He would tell me exactly, 'This is what we need now in the game and can you can get it done?"'

Cheeks understands Dalembert's frustration. He's just not ready to bench Hunter.

"I just can't give him a spot right now," Cheeks said.

Sam needs to quit moaning about not being told and not getting playing time and go out there and TAKE the starting position away from Hunter!  The fact that Hunter has taken away the starting position from Dalembert SHOULD help him already see that he isn't delivering!  But somehow he would rather moan about all this to the press -- yep, that is DEFINATELY going to help!!!   :rolleyes:  

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 04:41:38 PM »
Exactly, Randy.  This attitude of entitlement is what's going wrong with so many pro athletes these days.  

Note to Sam: it's not the coaches’ job to consult with you on your playing time, your role, your feelings or any other facet of your game.  Their job is to put together a game plan and rotation that will maximize the potential of the team to win as many games as possible.  Your job as a professional ball player, by the way that is what you're supposed to be, is to be in game shape, physically and mentally, and ready to play when called upon.  Once in the game, you have to make the most of it and, as Randy said, earn the starting job back, or more minutes, or whatever it is your heart desires.   Here's how you do that:  play hard, play good defense, get rebounds, box out, hustle, pass, and hopefully score some points with a respectable field goal %.  If you do all those things, it will be amazing how well things will work out for you.  This is the way it is in all sports at all levels, starting from AYSO soccer on up to the Pros.  Deal with it!

Sorry for the rant, but guys like this are a pet peeve of mine.

rickortreat

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 12:22:36 PM »
Yes, this is the type of thing that pisses me off about athletes.

Sam isn't starting becasue he hasn't demonstrated on the court that he's more effective than Steven Hunter.  It's that simple.

It's also pathetic that Sam isn't taking it upon himself to work harder and develop his potential.

Instead, he makes stupid reach-in fouls that force Cheeks to take him out of the game.

Some people respond well to situations like this, they look at themselves, realize that their performance is inadequate and work harder.  Other's don't.  They bitch and moan about the unfairness of loosing "their" postion.