Author Topic: WBC  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
WBC
« on: March 14, 2006, 06:41:53 PM »
World Baseball Classic.

U.S. is getting caught by the world in baseball as well as basketball.

In fairness to the US team, many of the players on the winning foreign teams have learned and polished their skills in the U.S.A. on MLB teams.

In unfairness, the burn call against the Japanese runner that tagged up to break the late tie. :rofl:  US *wins* 4-3.  ESPN had the split screen but instead of zooming in, they left the view at 200 feet away. :rolleyes:

I'm "there" this weekend for the Finals at Petco Park.    

rickortreat

WBC
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 07:26:54 PM »
A very embarrasing mistake for the refs, and a real rip-off for Japan.  The thing that gets me is the guy clearly tagged up and waited for the catch BEFORE taking off.  Even after reviewing the play between the group of refs, they STILL get the call wrong.

Either they are blind   :D   Or they are scum  :nonono:

Either way they shouldn't be able to continue to Umpire.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
WBC
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 12:02:15 PM »
Even after reviewing the play between the group of refs, they STILL get the call wrong.

Bob Davidson is the ump that burned Japan the go ahead run and awarded U.S. an "out" on the Japan runners tag up.

Now last night he burns the U.S. by awarding Mehico a double on what was clearly a foul ball.

"A television replay showed Valenzuela's fly ball hit the right field foul pole at least 10 feet off the ground and bounced back onto the field. However, first base umpire Bob Davidson didn't see it that way, and Valenzuela wound up at second."  Valenzuela ended up being the 1-0 run scored.  After Roger Clemons again kicked arse, he left with the score 1-1 but reliever Scott Shields allowed the go ahead run/game winning run to score -charged to Clemons.  2-1 Mehico.

I guess the Houston Astros aren't the only team to blow great outings by Clemons.

We have tickets to semis and Finals this weekend.  Just not the same.  Altho Dominican Republic vs Cuba should be a good one.

Guest_Randy

WBC
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 04:11:03 PM »
Personally, I'd like to see the US start sending amateurs only to compete -- I think they bring a lot more excitement to the game.  US hockey players have embarrassed the US for too many years -- they need to stop sending pro hockey players!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
WBC
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 09:26:30 PM »
Sportmanship award definitely goes to South Korea.

In spite of being 6-1 and beating Japan 2 games to 1, SoKorea is eliminated and Japan at 4-3 advances to finals due to the goofy WBC system.

Nonetheless, quotes from SoKors manager and players:

"Although we won twice over Japan, I believe their level of game is perhaps better than ours," South Korea manager In Sik Kim said. "I'm deeply grateful to our players. We had seven games, and this is the first defeat we've experienced."

"We knew that Uehara (Jap pitcher who shut them down) was the best pitcher that Team Japan had," South Korea's Jong Beom Lee said. "I think our team had a little bit of problem with timing. I think our batting was somewhat lacking. I think we will have more confidence next time."

Japan wins

WBC
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 10:16:43 PM »
Wow.  After allowing the Cuba Yankees to come back from 6-1 to 6-5, Japan now has made it 10-5 in the top of the 9th.  

Goodnight now.

Congrats Japan.  

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
WBC
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 09:15:11 AM »
**YAWN**

(And therein lies my problem with baseball.)
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
WBC
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 12:52:07 PM »
Personally, I'd like to see the US start sending amateurs only to compete -- I think they bring a lot more excitement to the game.  US hockey players have embarrassed the US for too many years -- they need to stop sending pro hockey players!
First of all congrats to Ichiro and the Japanese for winning the Classic.

As far as the US team, the format of this tournament wasn't designed to necessarily determine the best team.  Too many small round robin brackets, with a bunch of tie breakers.  Baseball by it's nature, lends it self to good team losing a lot of games, compared to basketball or football etc.  The tourney was what it was, and I enjoyed in any event.

As far as amatuers, I guess I disgaree with Randy.  I don't have a problem with pros playing.  I enjoyed watching the best players playing against the best players.  I would defintely prefer watching Albert Pujols hit against Johan Santana, or A Rod against Oliver Perez, or Carlos Delgado against the best pitcher in Japan, than I would watching some non-descript amatuer from Taipei Tech play some amatuer from the University of Caracas.  That is what made it interesting to me.  If it was amatuers no way I would watch.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Guest_Randy

WBC
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 02:31:18 PM »
Personally, I'd like to see the US start sending amateurs only to compete -- I think they bring a lot more excitement to the game.  US hockey players have embarrassed the US for too many years -- they need to stop sending pro hockey players!
First of all congrats to Ichiro and the Japanese for winning the Classic.

As far as the US team, the format of this tournament wasn't designed to necessarily determine the best team.  Too many small round robin brackets, with a bunch of tie breakers.  Baseball by it's nature, lends it self to good team losing a lot of games, compared to basketball or football etc.  The tourney was what it was, and I enjoyed in any event.

As far as amatuers, I guess I disgaree with Randy.  I don't have a problem with pros playing.  I enjoyed watching the best players playing against the best players.  I would defintely prefer watching Albert Pujols hit against Johan Santana, or A Rod against Oliver Perez, or Carlos Delgado against the best pitcher in Japan, than I would watching some non-descript amatuer from Taipei Tech play some amatuer from the University of Caracas.  That is what made it interesting to me.  If it was amatuers no way I would watch.
See, different perspective -- different opinion -- I had a hard time watch the highlights on SportsCenter!   -_-