Author Topic: Give Ig the ball  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Give Ig the ball
« on: March 20, 2006, 09:03:33 AM »
Why does the offense have to run thru Webber and his 42% bricklaying?
9-26
8-22
7-21 all with an okay but hardly spectacular ave of 4 assists.

With A.I. out run the freakin O thru Ig and let the chips fall where they may.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Give Ig the ball
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 09:27:03 AM »
I love Iguodala, and he's playing great the last 4 (16.8 pts, 7.5 rebounds, 5 assists, 1.8 steals), but....if you're going to complain about Webber's 42% bricklaying, shouldn't you at least be consistent and mention Iguodala is shooting 41.6% during that stretch?

Iguodala's showing some great potential, but he's not refined enough to run the ball primarily through him.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Give Ig the ball
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 09:40:40 AM »
I love Iguodala, and he's playing great the last 4 (16.8 pts, 7.5 rebounds, 5 assists, 1.8 steals), but....if you're going to complain about Webber's 42% bricklaying, shouldn't you at least be consistent and mention Iguodala is shooting 41.6% during that stretch?

Iguodala's showing some great potential, but he's not refined enough to run the ball primarily through him.
Yes i know Ig has been inconsistent.  7-14, 3-10, 7-15, 3-8 (approximates).

I just feel like MeWebb has peaked.  With his injury he is not going to get any better.  I know, real inciteful.  The obviousness of it is the point.  So, why not let Ig get 22 shots per game?  Grow.  Order him to.  Earn your millions, Mo, you're boring.  Let him create some offense.  Like when he won the slam dunk contest, who knows what new moves he will come up with.  If Ig was ordered to turn on the O i say he would respond.

Plus Ig and the Sixers will be that much better for future seasons.  What is the point of feeding Webber and his 18 million salary?  How is that gonna help the Sixers the next 3 seasons?  My point is that Ig shooting 22 times a game is going to add to his growth and make him an offensive dynamo in the next 3 seasons.  Webber is Peak Oil.  He's not gonna get any better so what the point.  Barring some incredible medical breakthru.

Wastin away again in .500ville.
Looking for that, lost Webber with pop.

Some people say that it's a GM to blame,
but i know.  It's a Mo-berts fault.

(Actually it was/is the GMs fault.  Mo is just extending the pain)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 09:52:17 AM by Reality »

Guest_Randy

Give Ig the ball
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 11:15:23 AM »
Oh well, ANOTHER time I disagree with you!

Run the offense through Iggy?  Iggy CAN create his own offense -- to some degree but he hasn't shown much of any ability to become a playmaker for the Sixers!  Webber, and I'm certainly not of fan of the guy, IS a gifted passer so you would be foolish to put the ball in Iggy's hands and ask him to become something he hasn't shown himself to be.  

The problem is that the Sixers rely far too much on AI's playmaking ability -- to their detriment, IMO.  Without AI, the Sixers struggle to have a lot of "flow" offensively.  

I think asking Iggy to become the initiator of the offense is a lot like asking Kwame Brown to become an offensive powerhouse!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Give Ig the ball
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 11:18:27 AM »
Actually, Iguodala (IMO's) a very, very good passer.  He could average 5 assists per game from the SG spot.  He doesn't force double teams (yet), so you can't ask him to generate at the rate of a #1 option, but he's certainly a capable passer and playmaker.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Give Ig the ball
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 12:02:09 PM »
IMO the problem has very little to do with passing....it has to do with a lack of passing.  Webber is a talented passer for a big man.  His shortcoming is that he feels that he should be a shooter first and pass only if his shot is not available.  Hence the offensive breakdown.  

If Webber would take the approach of being a playmaker first and scorer second then the Philly offense (and Webber's) would be much more efficient.  But Webber will regain his vertical jump before he becomes a unselfish playmaker.  It is this frame of mind that IMO Iggy could bring to the floor that would improve the offense.  And in that regard it is Mo's fault.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

guest-koast

Give Ig the ball
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 12:24:05 PM »
They should start working him into a bigger role on the offensive end seeing as Webber is gone in a few years and eventually AI will be also.  Make him the #1 option?  No way.  Not when you have Allen Iverson.  Should he be bumped over Webber? I dunno.  IMO they shouldn't have a clear #2 option.  That or they should have an equal amount of set plays ran for both of them (Ig/Webber).  Webber is still the vet and more consistant than Andre is.  The thing is if you want him to be more consistant than he needs to get the same amount of shots each game for a long period of time.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Give Ig the ball
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 03:32:19 PM »
Actually, Iguodala (IMO's) a very, very good passer.  He could average 5 assists per game from the SG spot.  He doesn't force double teams (yet), so you can't ask him to generate at the rate of a #1 option, but he's certainly a capable passer and playmaker.
Exactly.  

So Ig doesnt have to be "point forward", having the ball initiated thru himself 100% of the time.  Still run the ball thru him as many or better yet more times then Webber.

Lurker agreed, true Webber can be a great passer but only chooses to be so half the time.  The other 1/2 the time that Mo sits and allows Webber to be MeWebb is nonsense.  That's on Mo.  You wanna ballhog Webber, welcome to the bench.

Run the ball thru Ig, give him as many (more) ops then Webber.