Author Topic: Spurs look to buy MLB team???  (Read 1135 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs look to buy MLB team???
« on: March 08, 2006, 12:32:25 AM »
Right now it looks like SA has a good chance of landing the Marlins if they are serious about moving cities, atleast the MLB president has said that San Antonio is the "focus" right now for the relocation site.  who knows what that means.  It was reported that Red McCombs was looking to become a minority investor in the team should they decide to move here, apperantly the Marlins want some local owner ship in the team as well if they move.  However, it was just a couple of days ago I read a story that the Spurs were trying to persuade the Marlins NOT to move here, saying that a study showed that SA could not support two pro teams...this mind you was written, supposedly, by Spurs spokesman Leo Gomez.  Now in an about face, the team is saying that they would like to purchase a pro baseball team??  Anyone see the point in that?  is that to take advantage of year round revenue since the two sports would overlap for only part of the season?  I don't get it.  

Spurs Consider Buying MLB Team
Florida, Oakland, Minnesota Among Possibilities

POSTED: 10:00 am CST March 7, 2006
UPDATED: 10:25 am CST March 7, 2006

SAN ANTONIO -- The San Antonio Spurs have joined efforts to bring a Major League Baseball team to San Antonio, team officials told KSAT News on Monday.

The Spurs are looking at the "probability" of owning a major league team, and are not limiting their search to the Florida Marlins, which visited San Antonio in December.

Sources close to the negotiations said the Spurs also plan to visit with the Oakland A's and Minnesota Twins to explore the possibility of relocation.

"Right now the Spurs are in business besides basketball," Spurs spokesman Leo Gomez said. "We're sincere in looking at the possibility of Major League Baseball in San Antonio."

Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff, who had led the county's potential negotiations with the Marlins, embraced the Spurs' plans on Monday. Wolff said he introduced the Marlins to the Spurs during a December visit by the MLB team.

"You've got a bird in the hand," Wolff said. "We'll work with that bird, and if anything else comes along, we'll see what happens in the future."

Wolff said he will present a stadium-financing plan to Marlins management this week. A report from the county's financial advisor is expected to determine what kind of investment the county can contribute to building a new stadium.

Wolff has proposed asking voters to extend the county's hotel-motel tax to pay for a new stadium, which could cost up to $300 million.

"Bottom line, Major League Baseball will do their own research, and so will the Marlins," Wolff said. "They're not going to come here if we cannot support them."

In a related matter, car dealership magnate B.J. "Red" McCombs was among a handful of local private investors Wolff called on recently in an effort to lure the Marlins to the Alamo City.

Sources told KSAT 12 News on Monday that McCombs, who used to own the Spurs, the Denver Nuggets and Minnesota Vikings, may be willing to once again be at least part owner of a professional sports franchise.

McCombs did not return phone calls for comment.  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

rickortreat

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 12:31:37 PM »
It's simply part of San Antonio growing up.  It makes sense for the Spurs to try to get a baseball team in town.  There is hardly any overlap at all, in general baseball fans and basketball fans are very different.

Whover gets a MLB team in that town will make a lot of money.  The tickets are cheaper, there are more seats available and more games.  It would be a very good business move, IMO.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 12:43:30 PM »
It's simply part of San Antonio growing up.  It makes sense for the Spurs to try to get a baseball team in town.  There is hardly any overlap at all, in general baseball fans and basketball fans are very different.

Whover gets a MLB team in that town will make a lot of money.  The tickets are cheaper, there are more seats available and more games.  It would be a very good business move, IMO.
I agree 100%.  SA is blowing up by leaps and bounds.  I wonder how much of that has to do with all the katrina victims deciding SA is a nicer place to live than where they were at.

Part of the reason I know its blowing up big is that we just opened an office out there because there is alot of water and wastewater treatment work in Texas right now (we have offices in Austin and Dallas also).  Anytime there is alot of work for our company that means areas are growing quite a bit or gearing up to grow quite a bit.

I am going to be in Dallas and Austin at the end of the month for a week for work.  Are there any cool places you guys recomend for me to eat at/go see while I am down there?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 02:01:57 PM »
I am going to be in Dallas and Austin at the end of the month for a week for work.  Are there any cool places you guys recomend for me to eat at/go see while I am down there?
Austin is a very cool town...only about 1 1/2 hour drive from SA.  Make sute to check out 6th Street.  Many restaurants & clubs (big UT hangout).  If you want a relaxing spot to hike/jog then find out where Town Lake is from where you are staying.  Also Barton Springs is a nice park.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 02:27:20 PM »
I am going to be in Dallas and Austin at the end of the month for a week for work.  Are there any cool places you guys recomend for me to eat at/go see while I am down there?
Austin is a very cool town...only about 1 1/2 hour drive from SA.  Make sute to check out 6th Street.  Many restaurants & clubs (big UT hangout).  If you want a relaxing spot to hike/jog then find out where Town Lake is from where you are staying.  Also Barton Springs is a nice park.
I heard 6th street is the place to be.  Will have to check that out!

Too bad I won't be in SA when I make my trip or I would try to get some of the Spurses together to see a game if possible.  I should be out there at the start of the next NBA season so I am hoping maybe we can plan something then.  Maybe a game where they have the ring ceremony  :D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 02:27:33 PM by westkoast »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 04:12:15 PM »
there is a lot of cool stuff around austin.  the town is small so you shouldnt have a tough time getting around on your own.  6th street is always cool, just pick your poison there basically, but there is stuff off of 6th street also, get in with some locals and they can point you to some cool spots....
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 09:23:44 PM »
I think they're just wanting to get Gregg Popovich a team that's more his speed in terms of scoring.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 10:37:21 AM »
I think they're just wanting to get Gregg Popovich a team that's more his speed in terms of scoring.
 :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

:up: