Author Topic: Larry Brown  (Read 964 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Larry Brown
« on: March 09, 2006, 03:55:38 PM »
He can't.  It's a strictly hypothetical question.

Plus I think Larry thought this years Knicks would suck all along, altho not this badly, and that starting next year the rebuild process would move forward and start to show results.

With all that, knowing what he knows now, would Brown rather have stayed with the Pistons?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Larry Brown
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 05:47:17 PM »
He seems like the type of guy who enjoys to build up teams to take em to the next level  so I don't know if he would have stayed with the Pistons.  I think teaching young players and developing talent that some people would count out is what keeps him coaching.  In the Pistons case the next level was getting past the ECF.  Most of the others teams he was coaching it was getting them into the playoffs.

Can he do it again? No.  The same things people give Phil Jackson and Popavich flack for when it comes to their championship teams applies to Brown....he went to a situation where there was already very good players in place.  That team was already right there to win the championship before he got there.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 05:48:04 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickortreat

Larry Brown
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 06:50:58 PM »
Brown has proved that he can build teams and take them to the next level.  It can be argued that the Pistons would never have gotten to the point where they could defeat San Antonio without Brown.  Bringing in Rasheed was a huge gamble.

LB is from NYC.  He wanted that job, and the NBA wanted him to go there.  The league would like to see the Knicks at least stop sucking so bad.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Larry Brown
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 10:38:44 AM »
Why wouldn't Brown do it?

He's not staking his reputation on it.  If New York is awful for the next 8 years, it'll still be the poor GM work of Scott Layden and Isiah Thomas that mortgaged the franchise for years.  And if Brown gets them to winning, it'll be the ultimate feather in his cap on one of the NBA's biggest stages.

In the meantime, he'll do what he's always done - do it his own way.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Larry Brown
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 11:25:45 AM »

He and NYork are a total fit.  Brown moving then helping a team get much better is what Brown does.

I only mean "if he could do it over again" woud he have waited until after this year.  Pistons have another probable Finals appearance or at least ECFs.  Isaiah hires a stoolie to take the heat this year and then Brown joins NYY for 2006-7 season.

I also wonder if Brown really thought a KG or Artest or both would have been finagled to NY by now.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Larry Brown
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 11:46:57 AM »

He's not staking his reputation on it.  If New York is awful for the next 8 years, it'll still be the poor GM work of Scott Layden and Isiah Thomas that mortgaged the franchise for years.  And if Brown gets them to winning, it'll be the ultimate feather in his cap on one of the NBA's biggest stages.

In the meantime, he'll do what he's always done - do it his own way.
Yup.

Plus, Brown is from NY.  He grew up a Knicks fan.  He wanted to go coach his hometown team.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Larry Brown
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 12:03:30 PM »
It can be argued that the Pistons would never have gotten to the point where they could defeat San Antonio without Brown.

They still have yet to get to a point where they can beat SA  :huh:

Are we asking if he can do it again in terms of a championship or of getting them to be a playoff team?  Because there is no way that he turns this Knick team into a championship team.  When I said he couldn't do it again I was reffering to the fact he won't win a championship again where he is at.  Could he get them to make the playoffs next year? Sure they just need to get to .500 and he surely can do that.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 12:05:36 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Larry Brown
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 12:05:24 PM »
Q is not if he would go to NY, but when?

Will NYK be in much better shape start of next season vs start of this?  Yes, altho it appears not by much.

Plus with all of Browns "improving then moving", you'd think a shot at 2 for 3 Piston Titles would be a carrot even for Brown.  No?

That's why i thought perhaps the combo of another Finals/this year for NY to juggle roster = Brown joins Knicks for 2006-7 would have been better.

The tough life of living in NY with a 10 million salary....
Actually money can't buy everything.  Brown really has looked stressed out at time this year.