Author Topic: Playoff seedings  (Read 937 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Playoff seedings
« on: March 01, 2006, 04:17:15 PM »
I know its well over a month away, but could this be a year that Sternfishes lame "no reseeding for 2nd round" actually is of benefit to the Spursies.

Lets assume SA finishes with the best WConf record, and i hardly say they will for a fact nor do i really care.  If Dallas eeks them out by a game or two, so be it.

But we can agree that SA is the #1 West seed in our hearts, right?  Okay.

Now lets say Dallas and San Antone/San Antone Dallas finish #1 and #4.  Assuming they win out in R1, they would face each other in R2.  

Phx on the other hand, is headed for a near certain #2 seed.
Since Sternfish does not reseed according to record, Phx will play the winner of #3-#6.  Lets just say its Denver and they beat them.

Point of all this is, whom do y'all consider the TRUE #2 seed.  Forget the Stern arrangment, who is your #2 WConf.

We all agree SA is #1. :wub: While our board has it's disagreements, it's good to see and feel such unity. :up:
Forget the reg season standings, come playoff time would you say Dallas is #2, or would you say a Stoudamire Phx is #2?

Point being, if you say StoudamirePhx is the true #2 seed (forget standings), then it would be fitting that they meets #1 in the WCFs.  

In other words is it more of a challange to the Spurs to face Dallas in R2, or Phx in R2?  We'll know more tonight but i have a StoudamirePhx being a tougher foe then Dallas.  Lets revisit this in a month.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Playoff seedings
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 07:35:27 PM »
Succint version.

Dallas and San Antone will finish with the #1 and #2 WestConf records.
Yet they will face each other in Round 2.
This is wrong.  Stern should have fixed this eons ago.

Phx will not have to face Dallas or San Antone until R3 the WCFs.  That is wrong.  

In a true fair Round 2, Dallas-San Antone would be seeded 1-2 and Phx below them.  Thus Phx would have to play either Dal or SA in Round 2.  That would be fair.  
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However from a Spurs point of view, once AStoudamire returns, I would "rank" Phx ahead of Dallas, irregardless of what the actual standings say at the end of reg season.  Irregardless of what the standings say.  So it all works out.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Playoff seedings
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 10:50:16 AM »
I find the race for the 5th, 6th & 7th seeds far more intriguing.  The 5th seed will face Dallas/SA without home court.  A very daunting task.  The 7th seed will end up playing the Suns...clearly the 3rd best team in the west.

However the 6th seed will meet the 3rd seed....and most likely have a better record than the division champion.  It would seem that the Clippers or Grizzlies or Hornets would be best off playoff-wise to finish 6th and have the best chance to survive the first round.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Playoff seedings
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 11:10:15 AM »
This happened in 2004.  When there were two Divisions per Conference.

SAS finished 57-25 second in Mighty Midwest to MN.
LAL finished 56-26 yet were Pacific Champs.

However in Round 2 SAS did have home court.

:huh:  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Playoff seedings
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 12:08:55 PM »
However the 6th seed will meet the 3rd seed....and most likely have a better record than the division champion.  It would seem that the Clippers or Grizzlies or Hornets would be best off playoff-wise to finish 6th and have the best chance to survive the first round.
Exacty.

Seeding should be redone after round 1.

To reflect better record = higher seeding.

Realistically Dallas and San Antone will finish 1-2 or 2-1 yet will face each other in Round 2 while 3rd best record Phx is skating vs a 7 seed.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Playoff seedings
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 12:34:46 PM »
while 3rd best record Phx is skating vs a 7 seed.
Actually the Suns will skate with the 7th seed in the first round.  Although the 7th seed and the 5th seed could be determined by just a couple games.  In the second round they will face the winner of the 3rd/6th seed matchup.

My point is that the 6th seed will be much more desirable than the 5th seed.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Playoff seedings
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 01:34:55 PM »
while 3rd best record Phx is skating vs a 7 seed.
Actually the Suns will skate with the 7th seed in the first round.  Although the 7th seed and the 5th seed could be determined by just a couple games.  In the second round they will face the winner of the 3rd/6th seed matchup.

My point is that the 6th seed will be much more desirable than the 5th seed.
Exactly.

Wonder if it would be better to crap can Division winners with lessor records getting higher seeding altogether?  1st round included.  Just make it a straight up seeding by record.

I'm torn.  I do kind of like to reward the Division winners for round 1 seeding.

On the other hand years like this where Dallas and SAS will have 60+ wins and Denver at .534 ball will be seeded higher then one of them. :nonono:

Ditto the East Atlantic, altho this year all the EC 2nd place teams comparatively suck.