Author Topic: Kobe breaks more records  (Read 2502 times)

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe breaks more records
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 02:38:08 AM »
Wasn't it Steve Javie that Nick Van Exel (on the Lakers) punched onto the scorer's table, and I was cheering for Nick Van Exel.
Skander,

I think the NVE incident was Ron Garrison -- anyone else remember?  (oh, by-the-way, I LAUGHED when NVE did it -- can't stand Garrison)
It was definitely Ron Garrison.  He was son of the the head of the NBA Refs union, (can't remember his Dad's first name, I think it was Ed).  Ronnie Garrisonto this day is one of the worst officials in the league.  Steve Javie is horrible, but mostly because he holds personal vendettas and is quick to T-up.  Everyone in the league knows this ... players, coaches, fans.  Every arena I've been to, everyone boo's Steve Javie when he's announced to the crowd.  That, in itself, should tell us something.  No other ref in the league is known by name, for the wrong reason, like Steve Javie.  That said, Ronnie Garrisonis truly one of, if not the, worst ref in the league.  He is only a ref b/c of his Dad.  Seriously, pay attention to him next game you watch ... he is unbelievably bad.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 02:42:13 AM by msc »

Guest_Randy

Kobe breaks more records
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 09:22:39 AM »
Couldn't agree more -- can't stand Garrison (and it's OBVIOUS that the ONLY reason he got the job was because of his dad).

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe breaks more records
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 11:14:41 AM »
One more quick thing to point out for those who didn't have the benefit of actually watching the game on which they are fervently commenting.  

The Knicks came out red-hot from deep in the field.  Marbury swished a couple of 3's and deep 2's.  Q. Richardson sank at least one or two as well.  They went up 18-9 early in the first Qtr. and from there on out really fell in love with the jump shot.  Except for a few very impressive/aggressive put-backs by Curry, there was limited scoring from NY in the paint.  That combined with the Lakers aggression to the basket is going to result in a lopsided free throw stat every time.
"Every time."

That no other player in 40 years and 1,600 games has gotten to the FT line that many times is attributable strictly to the Lakers "aggression to the basket." :rolleyes:   Which of course the shot charts show also? :unsure:

Along with the T's well, if Steve Javie called them and westkoast is down with Javie....they are justified.  Stupid Knicks.

The topper is that the legitimacy of Kobes record breaking perfomance can be verified.  By any Laker poster.  

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe breaks more records
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2006, 12:00:30 PM »
RRRRAAAARRGGGHHH!!!  

Dude, Bryant set a record for MADE free throws at MADISON SQUARE GARDEN.  Not for every freaking game ever played.  He surpassed the previous record of 22 MADE free throws AT MSG held by Bernard King.  He TIED the number of attempts with King from the same game at 26, once again ... in case you didn't catch it ... AT MSG.  

Put down your Kobe Voodoo Doll, take off your Tim Duncan Under-roos, turn off the "Loose-Cannons" and please, please deflate your Manu blow-up doll and start actually reading reputable periodicals or, I don't know, maybe even watch the game.

EDIt:  Okay, so maybe your meant MSG (I have a hard time understanding your posts ... go figure)  My point still stands that he TIED Bernard King for # of attempts.  

« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 12:03:46 PM by msc »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe breaks more records
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 12:09:30 PM »
Madison Square Garden record for conversions and attempts at the line after making 23 of 26 free throws.  On 17 field goal attempts.  rrrraaaagh.

Is 40 points on 7 made field goals also a record? :rolleyes:
How hard was that to understand? B)

Don't go Randy on me, your posts are MUCH too intelligent. :D

You sure about that Bernie King stat.  Oh and did he make 7 field goals for the whole game. :rolleyes:  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe breaks more records
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2006, 12:12:39 PM »
I don't know, maybe even watch the game.

EDIt:  Okay, so maybe your meant MSG
I've offered to not only watch but tape and watch games.  Nothing quite like the tape for verification.

No Laker takers.

Except WOW.

I'll always have WOW. :cry:  

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe breaks more records
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2006, 12:14:27 PM »
Madison Square Garden record for conversions and attempts at the line after making 23 of 26 free throws.  On 17 field goal attempts.  rrrraaaagh.

Is 40 points on 7 made field goals also a record? :rolleyes:
How hard was that to understand? B)

Don't go Randy on me, your posts are MUCH too intelligent. :D

You sure about that Bernie King stat.  Oh and did he make 7 field goals for the whole game. :rolleyes:
I believe the 7 field goals & 40 points was a record, based on what the the announcers said during the game.  I haven't confirmed that.  

The Bernard King stat was reported in the game recap article in yesterday's LA Times.  

The point is that he didn't break a record for attempts, he tied it and broke the record for makes.  

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe breaks more records
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2006, 12:26:54 PM »
I don't know, maybe even watch the game.

EDIt:  Okay, so maybe your meant MSG
I've offered to not only watch but tape and watch games.  Nothing quite like the tape for verification.

No Laker takers.

Except WOW.

I'll always have WOW. :cry:
No doubt Kobe was getting all of the calls in NY, but the Knicks were definitely doing their part to contribute to the cause.  They were playing pathetic defense, not moving their feet, getting out of position and were forced to grab Kobe and other players quite a bit.  It was a sad game, and almost unwatchable due to all of the foul shots.  

Kobe get's star treatment from the refs, no doubt about it.  I don't think anyone here will dispute that.  You don't have to break down the tape for me to admit that.  

Guest_Randy

Kobe breaks more records
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2006, 12:47:32 PM »
Reality,

You are so pathetic and somehow you fail to recognize it.  You could care LESS about any record -- you just care because it's Kobe!  

What difference does it make how many fg's he made or attempted in garnering 40 points?  I DON'T think they keep stats like that -- I certainly don't know where you would find something like that -- and what's more, you don't care -- you just want to make a big deal out of this because it's Kobe.

IF you REALLY care about the number of attempts -- then WHY do you ONLY care about the fact that it was in MSG?  What's the record in other arenas?  Is 28 fta's close?  What is the record for every other arena in the NBA?  Oh, you DON'T care about that -- you only care about this because you have an axe to grind!

It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic!

By-the-way, when a player is fouled, does that STILL count as a shot attempt?  So getting fouled can ACTUALLY hurt your fg%, correct?  AND a player can actually anticipate contact or get an opponent TO foul them and throw up a shot just so they can get to the line, correct?  Then you add in all the technical fouls -- and the fact that at least twice, Kobe was fouled above the arch (that's two extra freethrows right there).  And that's just bad DEFENSE -- fouling someone above the arch.  Of course, I know you aren't looking for

I've offered to not only watch but tape and watch games. Nothing quite like the tape for verification.

No Laker takers.

Except WOW.

I'll always have WOW. 

I'm glad that you have each other -- but you DIDN'T tape the game -- you haven't WATCHED the game but you want to pass judgement on a game you haven't even seen.  You don't even WANT to be objective -- just pass judgement.

As for "no Laker takers" -- yeah, I'm going to FLY from Missouri to So. Cal. JUST to watch a basketball game with you -- you are being ludicrious again (well, at least you are consistent).

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe breaks more records
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2006, 01:54:29 PM »
No doubt Kobe was getting all of the calls in NY, but the Knicks were definitely doing their part to contribute to the cause.  They were playing pathetic defense, not moving their feet, getting out of position and were forced to grab Kobe and other players quite a bit.  It was a sad game, and almost unwatchable due to all of the foul shots.  

Kobe get's star treatment from the refs, no doubt about it.  I don't think anyone here will dispute that.  You don't have to break down the tape for me to admit that.
I'm open to your thoughts that the Lakers took it to the rack consistenly while the Knicks did a bunch standing and grabbing.

Larry Brown did comment on the game, (other thread in full) but not on the fouls aspect.  He said the lack of effort by the Knicks is something he has never had to deal with on any of his teams.  

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kobe breaks more records
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 05:05:50 PM »
By-the-way, when a player is fouled, does that STILL count as a shot attempt? So getting fouled can ACTUALLY hurt your fg%, correct?

Okay, I could be on crack...AGAIN...but I though that a missed FGA does NOT get credited to the player who just got fouled in the act of shooting.  Randy do the question marks mean you are not for sure either, or is that the case.  Anyone?
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Kobe breaks more records
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2006, 05:10:56 PM »
If you're fouled in the act of shooting, a field goal attempt is NOT counted if the shot is missed, but *IS* counted if the shot is made.

It's that way across all levels of basketball.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Guest_Randy

Kobe breaks more records
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2006, 05:12:15 PM »
It's why the question marks are there -- so it counts if you make it but not if you don't?

And shouldn't YOU know if you are on crack again or not?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Kobe breaks more records
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2006, 07:52:03 PM »
As for "no Laker takers" -- yeah, I'm going to FLY from Missouri to So. Cal. JUST to watch a basketball game with you -- you are being ludicrious again (well, at least you are consistent).
Randy,

I'll spot you the ticket.  I've got a couple of free flights on Southwest.  I'll probably have another free one after we roll out our new software in Arizona.  I'll probably make about 8 flights out there, each flight gets me two points and I get my next free flight after 15 points.  Throw in a couple of Vegas weekend flights and I'll easily have a free flight by the NBA playoffs.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"