Author Topic: VERY interesting comments by VC about Kobe . . .  (Read 739 times)

Guest_Randy

VERY interesting comments by VC about Kobe . . .
« on: January 24, 2006, 06:17:47 PM »
Well, apparently Vince Carter.

In the aftermath of Kobe Bryant's 81-point explosion Sunday night, Carter told the Newark Star-Ledger that the second-highest scoring performance in NBA history might not set a good example for young players.

"The only bad thing about it is that younger kids, whose minds are easily warped, are going to think, 'Ohhh! I am going to go out there and do it instead of (honoring) the team concept first,'" the Nets' star told the newspaper. "That is what is missing in the game, guys understanding how to play as a team."

Carter went on to say, "I think it is great for (the NBA): They want scoring, they want ratings, and you are going to get that. You are definitely going to get them now with the amount of 50-point games, 60-plus games. I just hope that kids and young guys understand that (only) special guys can do that. Yeah, the (other Lakers) were trying to get Kobe the ball, they wanted to see a special night. But they all know their roles."

The criticism comes from an interesting source.

Last season, Carter ranked just behind Bryant in shots attempted per game (Bryant took 20.1 shots per game, while Carter took 20.0). And Carter is still among the league leaders in that category this year at 19.0 shots per game, although he's well behind Bryant, who leads the NBA at 27.7 shots per contest.

Hmm, from the same guy who doesn't think he needs to work on the other end of the floor?

Hmm, from the same guy who decided he wanted to quit in Toronto so that the Raps would trade him?

Oh, yeah, those things ARE what kids need to see -- did I get that right VC?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
VERY interesting comments by VC about Kobe . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 06:29:11 PM »
Now if it was Magic Johnson, John Stockton, Bill Russell, Bob Cousy you know guys of that caliber I can understand but Carter?  How are you going to preach the team concept when you quit on yours to get traded?

Btw, uhh the going in and score mentality instilled in younger children came long before Kobe in the form of a gentlemen by the name of Mike Jordan.  Take it from one of the younger posters on the board, we grew up wanting to score like Micheal on the playground and apparently so did Kobe himself  :D  
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 06:31:52 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com