Author Topic: The other scoring explosion.  (Read 1091 times)

jn

The other scoring explosion.
« on: January 23, 2006, 01:48:29 PM »
Props to the Sonics and Suns for turning the clock back a couple decades in yesterday's scoring orgy.  152-149? Did Doug Moe take over the Sonics? I'm sure ESPN classic will be running the Kobe game but I sure hope they show this one as well.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 04:22:06 PM »
Im disapointed I didnt get to watch the game!!!  I saw the score during the Laker game and was like  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:     How insane is that score?!?!  I can only imagine what the game was like.  Did you catch it Jn?

You know what else is really impressive about PHX?  They some how have enough energy to continue to beat teams (and score almost 150 in a game) with only an 8 player rotation.  What kind of diet are these guys on?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 04:34:06 PM »
Sadly no, I don't think it was on any of the channels I get.   Curiously we just passed the 20th Anniversary of the highest scoring game in NBA history, Detroit vs Denver.  ESPN classic had Lambier and some of the other participants on.  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 09:37:09 AM »
Well, you do need to remember that it took triple overtime to accomplish this score -- they didn't do this simply in regulation.  

I do agree with you on Phoenix roster though -- this is where you have to give D'Antoni a LOT of credit for his coaching abilities.  First, Nash IS a great player -- but D'Antoni is making a LOT of rejects from other teams look like All-Stars at times (Bell, House, Barbose, Diaw) -- okay, so not quite All-Stars but he is definately getting the most out of these players.  Isn't it amazing -- this team loses, arguably, their TWO best outside shooters -- and THEN one of the most dominant big men in the league (and their only post player) and this team is STILL winning at 65% (4th best in the NBA).  Take Dirk away from the Mavs and what would be their percentage?  Take TD away from the Spurs?  Take Big Ben away from the Pistons?  

I think you HAVE to consider D'Antoni as COY -- of course, you also have to consider Saunders, Carlisle, Avery Johnson and Phil Jackson for their respective jobs as well.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 11:15:02 AM »
Well, you do need to remember that it took triple overtime to accomplish this score -- they didn't do this simply in regulation.  

I do agree with you on Phoenix roster though -- this is where you have to give D'Antoni a LOT of credit for his coaching abilities.  First, Nash IS a great player -- but D'Antoni is making a LOT of rejects from other teams look like All-Stars at times (Bell, House, Barbose, Diaw) -- okay, so not quite All-Stars but he is definately getting the most out of these players.  Isn't it amazing -- this team loses, arguably, their TWO best outside shooters -- and THEN one of the most dominant big men in the league (and their only post player) and this team is STILL winning at 65% (4th best in the NBA).  Take Dirk away from the Mavs and what would be their percentage?  Take TD away from the Spurs?  Take Big Ben away from the Pistons?  

I think you HAVE to consider D'Antoni as COY -- of course, you also have to consider Saunders, Carlisle, Avery Johnson and Phil Jackson for their respective jobs as well.
I just don't think Phil Jackson deserves to be mentioned with Saunders and D'Antoni based on the record of his team.  Sure he is getting more than most expected out of this team but they just are not winning enough for him to be considered.

D'Antoni has an 8-9 player rotation and the 2nd most dominant PF in the WC is currently rehabing......yet this team is still sitting at the top of the West with teams like the Spurs (who are healthy except for GNob).  That blows my mind everytime I think about it.  When you think of who Phil is getting production from, look who Mike is getting production from also.

Does anything really need to be said about Flip?  How he managed to push a championship caliber team even higher than they were the previous 2 years I dunno.  Major props for that, you know jn is happy and McHale is kicking himself in the rear end.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 11:24:12 AM »
Actually Randy it was only two overtimes and the score at the end of regulation was still a whopping 126-126.

And you know westkoast, as unhappy as I am about McHale and the Wolves situation, yes I am actually happy for Flip.  I've been a fan of Flip since he came out and spoke at the B-Ball camp at my high school in about 82 and went through a mulitball routine to show off his handle.  I don't think anyone coaches point guards better than Flip.  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 02:04:46 PM »
Actually Randy it was only two overtimes and the score at the end of regulation was still a whopping 126-126.

And you know westkoast, as unhappy as I am about McHale and the Wolves situation, yes I am actually happy for Flip.  I've been a fan of Flip since he came out and spoke at the B-Ball camp at my high school in about 82 and went through a mulitball routine to show off his handle.  I don't think anyone coaches point guards better than Flip.
I stand corrected jn -- thought it was triple overtime.

While 126 is a high scoring game -- it's certainly not unheard of these days -- scores in the 150's take me back to GS's run TMC days.