Poll

What is the toughest division?

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Toughest division  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Toughest division
« on: January 18, 2006, 01:59:55 PM »
I thought I would throw this out there in response to Joe's comment in the coaching thread about the Central being the toughest division.  That was the general preseason concensus but how does everyone feel now?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Toughest division
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 02:03:47 PM »
My vote is obviously a homer vote and I can't think of any other justification whatsoever.   :D

But I will post some illogical reasons later.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Toughest division
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 02:21:32 PM »
Central or Southwest division.   Right now Ill go with the Central division because its stacked but the Southwest Division has two major powerhouses.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Toughest division
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 02:22:19 PM »
Southwest.

Altho Dallas I am not convinced until they show D in the playoffs.  Since only Jeff Van Grunty allowed Dallas to escape Houston last year.  However now Avery Johnson has had a whole training camp and year so we shall see.

Memph will also be tough in playoffs even in a loss.  
Even Oklahoma is very tough at home.

No division dominates.  But toss out Van Gundy and every team in the SWest will be at least a battle in the playoffs.

Central.  Naw Cleveland even with its injuries...i don't like that coach.
Indiana and Chicago with their injuries and Artestlessness bring the Central down too much.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Toughest division
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 02:42:35 PM »
No doubt in my mind:  the Central.  No cupcakes in the division, at least two MVP candidates, two of the top coaches in the league (Saunders and Carlisle), a real possibility of all 5 teams being playoff teams.  The only team that hasn't been to the playoffs in at least one of the past two years is CLEVELAND.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Toughest division
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 02:44:43 PM »
Artestlessness

:lol:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :lol:

Didn't know that was a word!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I voted Central simply because of the standings:

Of the 15 teams in the East, the Central has the 1, 4, 5, 6, and 9 place teams.

Of the 15 teams in the West, the SW has the 1, 4, 5, 10, and 15 place teams.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe the Central also has the best team in the NBA period in Detroit, sorry to SA fans out there.  I truly believe the Central has the chance to do a special thing,  namely all five teams making the playoffs.  Whereas as much as NO has improved, and as much as Houston is sure to improve when they get healthy, I don't see either making the playoffs.  

Now if the bottom 2 teams in each division were stricken from existence (Houston, NO, Milwaukee, and Chicago), then the SW takes it without question.

Artestlessness!

:lol:  :D  :rofl:  :rofl:  :cry:  :rofl:

:lol2:  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Toughest division
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 03:21:17 PM »

I voted Central simply because of the standings:

Of the 15 teams in the East, the Central has the 1, 4, 5, 6, and 9 place teams.

Of the 15 teams in the West, the SW has the 1, 4, 5, 10, and 15 place teams.

The trouble I see with this reasoning is that the 9th team in the East (Bulls) would rank 13th in the West.  And since the West clearly is the stronger conference (139 - 103 record vs East....136-88 if you exclude Detroit) I would have to discount conference standings somewhat.  Another way to help prove the point is look at Central division records against the Western conference:
Detroit 15-3
Cavs 7-9
Pacers 10-7  :huh:
Bucks 5-9
Bulls 6-11

A look at over all standings may serve better.

Central has 1st, 8th (tied), 10th, 12th, and 21st records.

Southwest has 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 16th and 28th.

Oh and I don't disagree that right now the Pistons are the best team in the NBA.
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Toughest division
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 03:22:50 PM »
Funny...I thought you'd be quite familiar with the word "Artestlessness," since it is so relevant to your fantasy team.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

guest-koast

Toughest division
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 07:05:05 PM »
The trouble I see with this reasoning is that the 9th team in the East (Bulls) would rank 13th in the West. And since the West clearly is the stronger conference (139 - 103 record vs East....136-88 if you exclude Detroit) I would have to discount conference standings somewhat. Another way to help prove the point is look at Central division records against the Western conference:
Detroit 15-3
Cavs 7-9
Pacers 10-7 
Bucks 5-9
Bulls 6-11

Great point Lurker!