Author Topic: Did Kobe take a shot at Shaq?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Did Kobe take a shot at Shaq?
« on: January 05, 2006, 04:52:00 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/n...ack=1&cset=true

"It's much harder to watch them as opposed to playing the game," said Bryant, who was not allowed to attend either game. "I was kind of going back and forth. It's tough to sit there watching."

He flipped back and forth between the game and the movie "Superman."

Superman?

"Corny," Bryant said, smiling. "He's not Batman. That man's self-made."

Bryant, who said he would appeal the $289,943 in lost salary, acknowledged that the Lakers probably would have won both games with him.

They lost to Utah by four points Sunday and trailed the Jazz by one going into the fourth quarter of Tuesday's 90-80 loss.

"But, I mean, you just have to pick it back up," Bryant said. "We're not going to sit here and worry too much about these two games. We're just dealing with it."

Shaq used to call the dynamic duo Superman(Shaq) and Batman(Kobe).  It's either a coicidence or a very sublte and very clever dig at Shaq.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 04:53:13 PM »
On a side note, I agree with Kobe.  I've always thought Batman was the greatest superhero because he's a superhero without any special powers.  "Self made" as Kobe stated.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 05:04:23 PM »
I read that this a.m. too, definitely a shot at Shaq.  Kobe's taken the high-road for the most part since Shaq left, while Shaq launches scuds via the media once a month or so.  I'd like to see Kobe stay quiet, but I can't blame the guy for getting in a small dig.  It must be annoying to continually hear Shaq's shizzz talkin' in the media.  

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 05:45:52 PM »
I agree, if it was a dig, it was a masterpiece of subtlety.

I also agree MSC, Kobe has remained for the most part silent and gracious regarding Shaq, even complimenting him when queried directly concerning their feud, whereas Shaq has been arrogant, condescending, and insulting toward Kobe, even refusing to shake Kobe's hand when he offered it to him.

Shaq has no class whatsoever, not that Kobe does you understand, he is an adulterating (at the least, rapist at the most) arrogant jerk in his own right, but at least on this issue, he has proven to be the bigger man.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 05:49:19 PM »
I understand why Shaq is pissed.  If I was married and someone else had said something that could hurt my relationship with my wife I would be very mad myself.  However, I do not think I would stoop as low as Shaq.  Just like I wouldn't pretend to sound like a bad kung fu movie when asked about Yao Ming ;)

Kobe can be Batman as soon as Odom takes it upon himself to be the scoring 'robin'.  Plus you would have to expect him to take Jack out as he resembles the Joker.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 05:49:57 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 06:25:24 PM »
Batman was a lightweight in the superhero business.  I'm not a huge superman hero (Thor, Iron Man, Spidey, XMen are more my style -- Colossus being my fav) but he was definately a heavyweight in the world of superhero's.  

As for Kobe's snipe -- it was a good one -- Shaq has taken enough of these at Kobe that it's warranted.

As for the two guys:

Shaq:
 Basketball -- a HUGE ego and a VERY lazy work ethic.  Wants to be paid to be THE MAN but won't give basketball everything he's got.  He doesn't want anyone to think more highly of anyone else because it hurts his little feelings.  IF he had the work ethic of Wade, Kobe, MJ, etc. then he WOULD have more rings and he would be a longstanding legend in the world of NBA.  However, his lack of drive, poor physical shape (more years than not) and huge ego will taint what legend he has acquired.  IF he would have stayed in shape, he might have quieted the dissenters -- however, his shape this year has only proved their case.
 Personal -- You HAVE to give this guy props for his tireless work off the basketball court in the stead of others.  Granted, he HAS gotten his (money, fame, etc.) but I would put money down that he has given more personal hours of community service in charity work than ANY other player in the NBA.  I still remember the story of the Suns team photographer -- his son was having a b-day while the Lakers were in town.  Shaq showed up and played video games with the kid and his friends (and of course ate cake) -- I don't know too many NBA players that would do that for a perfect stranger.  Shaq's ego is too closely tied to his mouth -- but the guy IS a nice guy (but I still don't like him even though I DO respect what he does off the court in helping others).

Kobe:
 Basketball -- a HUGE ego but a GREAT work ethic.  However, at this point he seems to think that the world (both basketball and personal) revolves around him.  MJ had a MUCH better understanding of how to channel his competitiveness to the team -- i.e. you are going to give 120% or you are going to get off my team -- than Kobe does.  Kobe is too concerned with people making him look good than making his teammates better.  He has to come to understand that a true leader leads by example -- and not just in physical skill but attitude and teamwork.  
 Personal -- Kobe, IMO, is VERY much trying to regain his previous image -- the problem is that so far, the changed image seems to be staged rather than sincere.  Sure, Kobe have volunteered for the Olympics -- he will try several other things to try to alter the image that most americans presently have of him.  I don't know what happened behind those closed doors -- the evidence doesn't bode well for EITHER party, IMO -- but we all know he was guilty of adultery at best.  He hasn't shown very many things on or off the court that really speak to him striving to be real and personable to the world -- more of a standofish stance that can be taken, at best as "leave me alone" and at worst, "I'm too good to be around anyone else."  Kobe is simply immature -- and his success, fame and fortune at such a young age might have ruined him for live (and perhaps basketball).  Only time will tell -- and only Kobe can change his current path!