Author Topic: Can Iverson be an MVP on a losing team?  (Read 1284 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Can Iverson be an MVP on a losing team?
« on: December 06, 2005, 07:22:05 PM »
Is having a good/great statistical year enough to be the MVP?

Being the best player in the league has not constituted MVP honors in years past.

Who is the MVP so far and why?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 07:35:05 PM »
I personally dont think you have to be on a winning team but it really helps your chances.   If the Sixers had no AI they would be in very bad shape.  Does anyone know the last time a MVP was handed out to a player on a team that wasnt winning alot?  I can't think of one recently.

IMO right now, based on what hes done, my vote goes to AI.  30+ points 7+ assists?  That's impressive.  If he stepped up his one on one defense he would have to be a lock for it at this point.

Camby is also playing very very well himself on both ends of the floor.   Steadily blocking shots and is leading the league in rebounds.   Yet the Nuggets are a losing team so I think no one has even thought about him.  If anyone is playing as well as AI its been Camby.   His numbers just dont look quite as good on the offensive end.  Although on the defensive end hes looking real good.    3 and a half blocks and 14 rebounds a game says alot to me.  Both (ai camby) pretty much get about the same amount of steals in a game.

AI

PPG 34.2
RPG 3.4  
APG 7.7
SPG 2.00
BPG .11
FG% .451
FT% .805
3P% .302
MPG 44.1

Camby

PPG 16.9
RPG 14.1  
APG 1.6
SPG 1.76
BPG 3.41
FG% .526
FT% .750
3P% .000
MPG 35.4
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 07:40:07 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickortreat

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 07:45:44 PM »
It's hard to argue against Iverson, as he's playing the best ball of his career.  But it's also hard to say he's MVP when the Sixers are so bad.

Considering that he has Chris Webber, who's averaging 20 and 10, this team should be among the best in the Atlantic and the East.

Maybe it's a bit unfair to have these expectations, but with two stars playing well, a fan is entitled to think his team has a shot.

I haven't given up on the Sixers yet, but until Igoudala, Korver, Salmons and Dalembert start contributing consistently, this team isn't going to go anywhere.  They really aren't cohesive enough to know how to win games together.  They have no defined personality as a team.

So I can't vote for AI yet.  The Sixers have to go deep into the playoffs for him to get an MVP vote.  

If you could make a case for AI with the Sixers having a loosing record, then you could also make a case for Kobe, arguing that he has a lot less of a supporting cast, and therefore slightly lower numbers.

Usually, the MVP is the guy that puts his team on the top of the league,  so I guess at this point Duncan gets my vote.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 11:58:20 PM »
Not that we care, but history of the NBA media driven award has always insisted on both winning teams and offensive stats.  One year was the offensive part was an exception is Wes Unseld in 1968-9 burning Wilt the Stilt.  Altho Unseld had okay pts -13.8- and great rebounds -18.2- he came no where close to the mighty Wilt, who had another truly dominant season (20pts 21 rebs ave) in appearing in yet another Finals, this his 1st with the Lakers who got punked by the Celts.

As for our board MVP, as mentioned lets consider both ends of the floor.
I'm not dissing A.I.s defense, what with the steals but at 6'0" (5'10" in person I'm asking?) he doesnt compare to Tim Dunker, KG, etc as far as defensive impact.

KGs demise has been very prematurely eggagerated.
It seems when players do it year after year (Duncan, KG) there can be a tendancy to overlook in favor of players who are lifting teams from crappy previous seasons.  Don't think the consistent MVP candidates should be overlooked.  Imagine if this was A.I.s, Dunkers, KGs 1st or 2nd year.  It isnt, but you get the idea.

Camby indeed having a great season.

How about

Elton Brand
25 pts on .566
10 rebs (7th)
great D.
Fantastic team ball player both ends.

I'll go with Dunker again.  Why?  Consitency on O and D.  Team player all the way.  No pampered Meism issues whatsoever.  Also adding to his offense those pick-up-game offensive hand off passes. B)

2nd KG.  Watched game vs Lakers.  In 4th qtr he flat brought it with the defenders right on him.  Has a full reprotware (spelling zzzzz) of close-mid-perimiter Offense along with great passes (pair this guy with a consistent jump shooter) and defensively continues very strong overall, esp D glass and blocks/alters.  Dont even think about coming in weak.

3rd Elton Brand.  
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 12:07:31 AM by Reality »

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 12:11:55 AM »
Not that we care, but history of the NBA media driven award has always insisted on both winning teams and offensive stats.  One year was the offensive part was an exception is Wes Unseld in 1968-9 burning Wilt the Stilt.  Altho Unseld had okay pts -13.8- and great rebounds -18.2- he came no where close to the mighty Wilt, who had another truly dominant season (20pts 21 rebs ave) in appearing in yet another Finals, this his 1st with the Lakers who got punked by the Celts.

As for our board MVP, as mentioned lets consider both ends of the floor.
I'm not dissing A.I.s defense, what with the steals but at 6'0" (5'10" in person I'm asking?) he doesnt compare to Tim Dunker, KG, etc as far as defensive impact.

KGs demise has been very prematurely eggagerated.

Camby indeed having a great season.

How about

Elton Brand
25 pts on .566
10 rebs (7th)
great D.
Fantastic team ball player both ends.
Elton Brand is a quiet guy.  His team is playing some of the best ball in the league and he is getting it done on both ends.  I'd say right now Camby is the better of the two in the defensive category but Brand's team is winning and hes scoring more.  Quite effectively too.

Only thing holding AI back is the Philly record.  I think they can improve it.  Right now would be a good time to make a push they have the Bucs, Bobcats, and Nets on the road (all very winable) and then the Hawks, Wolves, and Miami at home.  If Shaq is back the Miami game will be an L but the Hawks/Wolves could be beaten by Philly.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 12:12:26 AM »
^---that was me
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com