Author Topic: Sixers loose to the Bobcats!?  (Read 1250 times)

rickortreat

Sixers loose to the Bobcats!?
« on: November 05, 2005, 10:43:05 AM »
Ugh. It's getting worse and worse.  They should have won against the Bucks, but stopped playing.  They had no shot against the Pistons who simply are a better team at this point.

They played horribly agaisnt the Bobcats.  They couldn't get a stop, they couldn't box out and they couldn't run a play in the half-court.  AI was playing selfish ball last night.  Back to his old, bad basketball ways.

Tonight they travel to play Indiana. It is highly unlikely that they will get a win tonight, after playing last night.  Even rested, they're not playing well enough to handle the Pacers.

The team seems snakebit.  AI and Webber didn't play all preseason.  Dalembert hasn't either.  They don't have enough big men to be competitive with only Hunter in the middle.  When Dalembert comes back they will have a bit more depth but I'm not sure that Dalembert and Webber will be competitive against some of these teams.

Korver can't even shoot to take pressure off the others.  Nailon hasn't been effective.  It's tough being a Sixer fan right now.

:cry:  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 10:48:50 AM »
The problem, IMO (besides Iverson not stopping anyone from getting in the lane, Iguodala fouling and Korver doing nothing) are the pf's/center's we're putting with Webber. We need a strong defensive rebounder/defender paired with Cwebb. Nailon is playing far too much time at the 4, and he can't defend or rebound. Hunter is a piss poor defensive rebounder who, while he can block shots, isn't a great defender. In fact, Hunter's best contributions this year have been offensively.  

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 11:36:02 AM »
I know this isn't funny to you, guys, but I'm sorry...

Hunter is a piss poor defensive rebounder who, while he can block shots, isn't a great defender. In fact, Hunter's best contributions this year have been offensively.

In Phoenix, when surrounded by offensive players who play no defense, Hunter looked good defensively.  In Philadelphia, when you can draw comparisons with defenders like Iverson, Iguodala, and Dalembert, he looks good OFFENSIVELY.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I told you before - Hunter is a bum.  Hunter was a bum when he broke in with Orlando, and he's been a bum ever since.

Maurice Cheeks is now facing the real problem that Philadelphia has - Allen Iverson.  Iverson is a 2 in a 1's body.  He can be very effective at 1 in a scheme like Jim O'Brien's, or very effective at the 2 in a scheme like Larry Brown's.  Cheeks is trying to get Iverson to be effective at the 1 in a scheme like Larry Brown's, and it just isn't going to happen.

Philly needed to get a point guard who could guard 2-guards to pair with Iverson, and for the longest time, Earl Watson was available.  You should have gone after him.

I think Philadelphia needs to offer Kyle Korver to Denver for either Earl Watson or Andre Miller.  Denver is looking for a shooter, and Korver can do that.  Philadelphia needs a point guard.  And if Iverson is at the 2, that means Iguodala needs to be at the 3.

If you're lucky, you can get them to take Hunter off of your hands, too, given that Nene is down.

I like Korver, but I just don't see him fitting in with Philly.  He was perfect for Jim O'Brien's system, but Mo isn't going to let him hoist away indiscriminately.

There are problems, but there aren't BIG problems.  You just need a solid point guard, and everything will be okay.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

rickortreat

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 11:49:34 AM »
I agree Joe.  But I don't understand why Cheeks wants Iverson at the point.  Salmons should be the starting point, with Iverson playing the two.  That'll give you the point who can defend a two.  Until Willie Green went down, he could have been that guy.

Iggy, Webber and Hunter up front.  Should be fine on offense, against a lot of teams overmatched on defense.  Hunter isn't really a bum, he just doesn't understand how to move on defense to be effective.  

That should be a better team than having Korver on the floor, as he's totally innefective on both ends right now.

It is somewhat vexing that Dalembert being out has hurt the team so much.  But he is a significantly better defender than Hunter, and more agressive at rebounding and intimidating shooters inside.

I think it's important to get the ball out of Iverson's hands bringing the ball up the floor.  He is too inclined to make moves and force shots, getting the team involved second.  Salmons would do a better job of running plays for others, and free Iverson to run around off of screens, making the other team constantly scramble to keep try and stop him without leaving someone else open.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 09:14:00 AM »
Salmons should be the starting point, with Iverson playing the two

Salmons (outside of last game) has looked very good so far this year.  It's a little too early (as Korver played great last night), but it's something to think about.

I think hunter can be fine as a 15 mpg backup C.  He just has too many holes in his game to start.

I disagree with Joe about trading Korver though.  Sure, we need someone to start.  But Korver playing well is absolutely vital to this team's success.  Without him we're a terrible 3 pt shooting team, and there's no room in the lane for Iverson, Iguodala or Salmons to drive (as that is the strength of all 3 of their game's) or Webber in the post.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 01:08:24 PM »
Regarding A.I.s ability to assist or not, could it be mindset rather then Xs, Os and opponent?

12 assists last night.  6ers 111 Pacers 109.
He still shot like crap 11-29 and 0-4 threes.

guest-koast

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 11:05:51 AM »
Regarding A.I.s ability to assist or not, could it be mindset rather then Xs, Os and opponent?

12 assists last night.  6ers 111 Pacers 109.
He still shot like crap 11-29 and 0-4 threes.
Part of the Sixer gameplan revolves around AI taking those shots.  Other teams expect it and that is how AI likes to score.  I don't think the problem is the number of shots as much as it is where hes shooting from.  He should be taking a majority of the shots per game.  What he shouldn't be doing is taking rushed shots from longer distances away.  If he moved his whole game into the 15-18 foot area he would be shooting 47-48%

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 11:20:13 AM »
the problem, frankly, has very little to do with offensive production.  It's an interesting debate to talk about iverson and shots, but the team's success right now is contingent mostly on defensive rebounding and defense.  We play well enough offensively to win.

btw, he's been taking tremendous care of the ball.  8 assists to 2.5 to's, 3.2/1 a/to ratio.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 11:20:54 AM by dbodner »