Poll

Who will be the ROY?

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Rookie of the year  (Read 1704 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rookie of the year
« on: October 24, 2005, 09:44:08 AM »
Lets start talking about something other than the dress code.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Rookie of the year
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 10:17:22 AM »
Give me Chris Paul.  His numbers will be gawdy just because of the fact there's very little else there in New Orleans.

I'm surprised to see Jasikevicius's name up there, but I *REALLY* like this guy.  He went to the PERFECT team for him - Indy - and only has Tinsley to beat for a starter's job.  His only problem for making a big splash as a rookie is the fact that there are so many great point guards who came into the league this year...someone is going to have to get overlooked.

Williams is going to a bad team, and since the team has so many young players to develop, Williams will get only a portion of the minutes.  Atlanta needs a clear direction.  Well...thinking about it, they DO have a clear direction...DOWN...so I guess they need a NEW clear direction.  In trying to find it, Williams will only be a piece of the puzzle.

Bogut will be solid, but the team will be focused on Redd and the return of T.J. Ford.  Solid numbers won't be enough to win the ROY.

Deron Williams is going to be AWESOME...as soon as he learns Sloan's system.  Expect him to take a year to get accustomed to it.  In addition, I look at Williams to have a career similar to Mookie Blaylock in his hey-day - good defender, lots of steals, only a so-so shooter, but still capable of putting up points.  Under Sloan's watchful eye and lashing tongue, Williams will develop to be quite a bit better (fewer bad shots than Mookie, meaning a much better shooting percentage).  But Williams is a longer-term investment, and Sloan will give and take minutes from Williams as a teaching tool.  So it would not surprise me to see Williams be the best of the lot, but to not make the All-Rookie first or second team this year.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Rookie of the year
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 10:38:39 AM »
I'd say it's going to be either bogut or paul.  marvin williams is going to be coming off the bench, and I'm not sure Deron's impact will be this year.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 10:38:48 AM by dbodner »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Rookie of the year
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 11:14:44 AM »
Bogut is really the only player I was able to watch play more than a few times here and there.  If they are able to toughen him up in the paint and teach him how to deal with the physical play in the NBA quickly he will be the ROY.  Of course thats easier said than done.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rookie of the year
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 12:38:53 PM »
I think Paul takes it home.  He'll probably score the majority of points for the Hornets, and that stat should be gaudy enough to win ROY.

I like Deron Williams A LOT.  However, I think it'll take awhile for him to get used to the offense in Utah.  He has all the skills to do very well within that system, though: great defender, good passer who excels at running the half-court offense, locker-room and on-court leader.  The biggest negative on him is his inconsistency with the outside shot.  He CAN make it, but whereas some nights he'll go 4-4 from beyond the arc, others he ends up hitting just 1-6.  He'll need to gain some consistency in that area, and with Sloan's teaching, he should end up being a very good player.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rookie of the year
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 12:52:16 PM »
Joe:

Give me Chris Paul. His numbers will be gawdy just because of the fact there's very little else there in New Orleans.

Deron Williams is going to be AWESOME...as soon as he learns Sloan's system. Expect him to take a year to get accustomed to it. In addition, I look at Williams to have a career similar to Mookie Blaylock in his hey-day - good defender, lots of steals, only a so-so shooter, but still capable of putting up points. Under Sloan's watchful eye and lashing tongue, Williams will develop to be quite a bit better (fewer bad shots than Mookie, meaning a much better shooting percentage). But Williams is a longer-term investment, and Sloan will give and take minutes from Williams as a teaching tool. So it would not surprise me to see Williams be the best of the lot, but to not make the All-Rookie first or second team this year.

Caleb:

I think Paul takes it home. He'll probably score the majority of points for the Hornets, and that stat should be gaudy enough to win ROY.

I like Deron Williams A LOT. However, I think it'll take awhile for him to get used to the offense in Utah. He has all the skills to do very well within that system, though: great defender, good passer who excels at running the half-court offense, locker-room and on-court leader. The biggest negative on him is his inconsistency with the outside shot. He CAN make it, but whereas some nights he'll go 4-4 from beyond the arc, others he ends up hitting just 1-6. He'll need to gain some consistency in that area, and with Sloan's teaching, he should end up being a very good player.

Wow Caleb, did Joe also tell you where to put the commas. B)  

Joking bud, I have to give you crap for stealing my Raef LaFrentz, I'm still sobbing uncontrollably.   :cry:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ladies and Gents I'd like to introduce you to this year's ROY, Andrew Bogut.  Its not the 14-16 points that will win or the 6-8 boards that will win it for him although they'll be nice, its the 3-4 assists and court vision from the center that'll catch people's eye.  By all rights Bogut should run away with this award but that genius Stotts has decided to start the reg. season with Gadzuric as the starter.  With Paul getting 30-35 min. of burn on a depleted team he'll put up enough numbers to make people think twice and then select Bogut as the ROY.    
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rookie of the year
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 01:05:10 PM »
Wow Caleb, did Joe also tell you where to put the commas. B)
I would just like to point out that I've been watching Deron Williams since his days on the east side (Illinois), and I'd like to think that after watching so much of him I've gotten a pretty good feel for his game.  I may not be the most knowledgeable basketball guy around, but considering I was the one telling Joe prior to the draft that Utah should take Williams because he was a perfect fit for their system (including a detailed analysis of why), I think I've earned the right to speak my mind and not have my posts criticized by those who are out for revenge!   HAHA!   B)  

By the way Skander, did you know I have this Raef LaFrentz guy on my team?
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
Rookie of the year
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 01:23:40 PM »
I think Paul takes it home as well.  The guy was already good enough to be a name in the NBA and playing on the Hornets will guarantee huge numbers.  

Bogut is playing a VERY tough position -- and the team is already set up for Redd to be "the man" -- and that was before the arrival of Simmons and the return of TJ Ford.  

I like Deron's game and I think he is a GREAT fit for Utah -- but I think it's going to take him a couple of years to fully develop in Sloan's system.

I'm REALLY surprised that Oberto's name is not on this list!  Come on, guys, this guy is going to be a 30/15 player this year and make people start saying "Timmy who?"