Author Topic: NBA.com Interview with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar  (Read 970 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
NBA.com Interview with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
« on: September 18, 2005, 02:51:58 PM »
http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/kareem_chat_050914.html

"I know a lot about the game, and I've noticed that what I learned in my time, isn't necessarily being taught now and I'd like to help impart that knowledge to a new generation of players."
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 02:52:07 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 10:40:11 AM »
I found the most interesting thing in the conversation to be the guy Kareem things guarded him the best.  How 'bout it for ole' Nate Thurmond being described as "clean". :huh:  

I always love it when underrated guys like Nate get props from the greats.

The dominance of Kareem's teams and personal accolades is staggering.  

(3 straight HS championships, 3 straight NCAA championships, 6 NBA titles)

Ree-diculous.      
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 02:15:27 PM »
Kareem WAS right -- the guy LEARNED from his college coach (I think it was some bum from off the street).

You know what Wooden had them do the FIRST day of practice (EVERY year)?  He had them take off their shoes and socks and he taught them how to put on their shoes and socks properly.  Spent 20 minutes doing this -- and then went on to tell them that it's the fundamentals of basketball that win basketball games (who is going to argue with Wooden's success?).  

There is a DEFINATE lack of fundamentals in the game today -- and a lack of listening to coaches.  Sure, there are some coaches that players will listen to (PJ, Pop, Brown, etc.) because they have earned their badges -- but the fact is that superstars KNOW that the game is built around them and they are the ones making the money (not the coaches) -- therefore, they begin to feel like they are the ones who can call the shots (see Kobe, Shaq, AI, etc.).

I don't know how good a mentor Kareem is -- but if he can help teach some of the young big players fundamentals and a team first concept, the Lakers can't pay him enough money (of course, I'm not holding my breath either).