Author Topic: Wow, new twist in Finley's destination . . .  (Read 1260 times)

Guest_Randy

Wow, new twist in Finley's destination . . .
« on: August 23, 2005, 08:19:55 AM »
something I read at ESPN and certainly didn't realize in Finley's contract in Dallas:

A "spread provision" in Finley's Dallas contract stipulates that, upon being waived, his remaining salary will be paid in annual installments of less than $5 million.

A guy who was used to making over $10 grand a year and now he will be paid the remaining $52 mill over a period of 10 years (plus $2 mill on the 11th year).  This isn't such a shock to the system if he takes Miami or Detroit's $5 mill exemption but if he signed with SA, he would be experiencing at least a $3 mill a year cut in his salary.  

Come on, the guy needs to feed his family!!!  Okay, he didn't make any stupid comments like that but I did assume that his salary would be paid to him just as it was in Dallas, I didn't realize there was a "spread provision."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 09:19:03 AM »
just read a report that SA will be talking to Finley on Thursday, phoenix is talking to him today...this guy was suppossed to be a lock with miami - why would he be wasting time with the Suns or Spurs if Miami was THE team - his agent HAS to know the money situation in SA, why bother with us?
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 09:46:36 AM »
Would Finley be the first free agent to talk to a team that isn't the first on his list?  

I think it goes back to the criteria again:

1)  Which team has a legit shot at a title

2)  Who needs him the most

3)  Who will offer him a starting SG slot

4)  Which team is a better fit for him

5)  If all those are equal, which team has the most money

Finley already knows that SA fits the #1 criteria -- but he is also searching for the other criteria and is probably interested in seeing what promises SA will make.  Is SA willing to make him the starting SG or are they going to have him come off the bench and play 15-20 minutes per game?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 10:04:11 AM »
Would Finley be the first free agent to talk to a team that isn't the first on his list?  

1)  Which team has a legit shot at a title

2)  Who needs him the most

3)  Who will offer him a starting SG slot

4)  Which team is a better fit for him

5)  If all those are equal, which team has the most money

Finley already knows that SA fits the #1 criteria -- but he is also searching for the other criteria and is probably interested in seeing what promises SA will make.  Is SA willing to make him the starting SG or are they going to have him come off the bench and play 15-20 minutes per game?
To be honest, I dont know why Pop would start Bowen if we had Finley, Finley would give us immediate scoring punch, and if he were going to look for a spark off the bench he could place Manu there again, which would be the best spark we could get IMO.  Bowen should sit the bench until his D was needed, and close out the game IMO, Finley should be the starter.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 10:05:47 AM »

1)  Which team has a legit shot at a title

2)  Who needs him the most

3)  Who will offer him a starting SG slot

4)  Which team is a better fit for him

5)  If all those are equal, which team has the most money

Finley already knows that SA fits the #1 criteria -- but he is also searching for the other criteria and is probably interested in seeing what promises SA will make.  Is SA willing to make him the starting SG or are they going to have him come off the bench and play 15-20 minutes per game?
To be honest, I dont know why Pop would start Bowen if we had Finley, Finley would give us immediate scoring punch, and if he were going to look for a spark off the bench he could place Manu there again, which would be the best spark we could get IMO.  Bowen should sit the bench until his D was needed, and close out the game IMO, Finley should be the starter.
PS, And yes, I think Pop would have bowen  out while Finley played offense.  Bowen doesnt generate much of anything offensively, so i dont see that as anything to worry about.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 10:10:11 AM »

Finley already knows that SA fits the #1 criteria -- but he is also searching for the other criteria and is probably interested in seeing what promises SA will make.  Is SA willing to make him the starting SG or are they going to have him come off the bench and play 15-20 minutes per game?
Do you guys really need scoring?  You have Manu, Parker, Barry, and Duncan.

Honestly, I wouldnt change out strong defensive stopper for ANY scorer when you have Duncan.  Bowen's defense is more important to winning the game than Finley's offense will be.  Although Finley isnt a bad defender by anymeans.  He just isnt a Bruce Bowen caliber defender.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 10:21:14 AM »

Do you guys really need scoring?  You have Manu, Parker, Barry, and Duncan.

Honestly, I wouldnt change out strong defensive stopper for ANY scorer when you have Duncan.  Bowen's defense is more important to winning the game than Finley's offense will be.  Although Finley isnt a bad defender by anymeans.  He just isnt a Bruce Bowen caliber defender.
WK, I am not saying Bowen is unimportant, he would be better IMO if he was rested and his opponent was already tiring out, Bring in Bowen towards the end of the quarters and at the end of the game, fresher legs would be better i those times, honestly, it's not as if he came off the bench and his shooting touch went col, he plays defense, he doesnt need to worry so much about being cool before entering a game.

and Yes we have Manu, Parker, Brent, and Tim - but we still had a tough time with those guys last year in the playoffs.  USUALLY, two of the big three will produce game winning numbers for us and one will usually not score as much.  Against detroit we had all three of them practicaly go out on us for spurts of the game. Finley, COULD be happy with us if we said he could start, AND if he got his chance to win a title.  He is set for the next few years with the payment plan Cuban has him set up on, he really does not need to worry about a large contract now.  having Tim, Tony, Manu, Mike and Nazr or Oberto. would be a hell of an offensive squad that is able to get back on D quickly.  I would see this team as being more run than half court, Pop may want to go that rout to keep with faster squads this season.  But yes, Bowen is awesome on D, but I dont see him coming off the bench as a bad thing.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 10:22:46 AM by SPURSX3 »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 10:34:32 AM »
BTW, I dont see this really mattering any, because I dont think Finley will sign with us anyway.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 10:36:25 AM »
The info on the spread provision was reported in most articles that reported Finley's release.  It is old news.

The real kicker is that any player waived by the amnesty rules who resigns with another team has his remaining salary from the old team reduced dollar for dollar by any salary from the new team.  So in essence money doesn't matter to Finley in where he signs....he will get the same amount over the next 10 years regardless.

Don't you LA fans read anything besides the celebrity gossip columns?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 10:38:21 AM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 10:50:58 AM »
The info on the spread provision was reported in most articles that reported Finley's release.  It is old news.

The real kicker is that any player waived by the amnesty rules who resigns with another team has his remaining salary from the old team reduced dollar for dollar by any salary from the new team.  So in essence money doesn't matter to Finley in where he signs....he will get the same amount over the next 10 years regardless.

Sorry we dont have pages dedicated to things like the rodeo circuit.  Thats all we have to read!

I dont think Finley is goin to sign with the Spurs either.  I dont think Pop would switch up his rotation to get Finley huge chunks of minutes like he wants.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 10:52:02 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 01:44:58 PM »
The info on the spread provision was reported in most articles that reported Finley's release.  It is old news.

The real kicker is that any player waived by the amnesty rules who resigns with another team has his remaining salary from the old team reduced dollar for dollar by any salary from the new team.  So in essence money doesn't matter to Finley in where he signs....he will get the same amount over the next 10 years regardless.

I do think there must be some way around that amnesty clause you are referring to -- DA had an exception to that clause from what I read.

As for you comment:  

Frankly, I quit caring who was coming to watch Tony Parker play a long time ago!  One of the things about being an LA fan -- celebrities are old hat, they simply fade into the background -- not to mention that the lights are so bright in Hollywood, it's difficult to see anyway (it's why we all wear sunglasses).  Of course, I could only imagine just how bad it would really be if there weren't all those banners that help diffuse all those bright lights.

Hey, don't get me wrong -- I'm sure it must be nice to sit in Texas and watch the Spurs play underneath the bright shining moon!