Author Topic: Draft thoughts?  (Read 2860 times)

jn

Draft thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 02:25:13 PM »
I won't call you crazy but here's the thing about Villanueva.  He went to UCONN with a huge reputation and proceeded to play fairly well but also very soft at times.  He is nowhere near ready to play center in the NBA.  Josh Boone did the heavy lifting down low for the Huskies.  I can't say that Villanueva was a better player than Boone.  He may seem more intriguing because he has more guard skills but Boone was tougher.  If Villanueva had stayed this year it is entirely possible Rudy Gay would have passed him by in value as well, IMHO.

Agree completely on the Celtics.   Partially agree on Atlanta.  Stoudemire is a mind boggling shooter but the culture of losing in Atlanta is so deep I have a hard time seeing anyone develop there.

P.S.  Donyell Marshall was a bust for many years.  Mpls beat writers still take pot shots at him for his incredible laziness here.  Many people think of the drafting of KG as the start of the Wolves turnaround.  This is incorrect.  That started when McHale fleeced the Warriors by sending Marshall packing in exchange for Gugliotta.  Marshall got better but his career is best defined as decent numbers on bad squads.