Author Topic: Don't look now but....  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Don't look now but....
« on: June 15, 2005, 10:16:18 AM »
...we just might have a Finals series on our hands.  To be honest I didn't think the change of venue was going to change all that much as evidenced by my Game 3 pick.  I figured Detroit would be energized by the fans and the roster show and break out of the first quarter but I thought the Spurs would weather the rush and proceed to wear them down.  

Like I said I had a good idea that Detroit would break out, but I *never* thought Ben Wallace would explode for 5 blocks and 7 points in a little over 6 minutes of play.  The very first play of the game, Ben Wallace steals the inbounds play, dribbles the length of the court, and Jams it home.  That energized all of Detroit, the determination in Rasheed, Rip, and Tayshaun was palpable.  They were quicker to the looseballs, quicker to the closeouts, quicker to the spot to draw the offensive foul.  A hand on every ball, running on every defensive rebound.  The Pistons were playing with such intensity, one almost didn't notice that the Spurs were still in the lead through most of the first half.  I don't know about any Pistons fans out there, but *that* should be a very scary thing.  

With phenomenal outside shooting (Bowen and Barry) and second chance points, the Spurs were ahead for a long while and managed to keep it close until the end of the third quarter.  About that time, Chauncey decided to re-aquaint himself with the three point line and went on to sink three long balls in the last 14 or so minutes of the game.  Rip's shot started to fall, although the guy can't finish the gimmie's.  Massive credit goes to Bruce Bowen, that guy is unyielding.  Tayshaun Prince had some much needed dunks in transition, but he is struggling mightily from the outside.  The aggressive trap in the baseline the Spurs are doing are messing with him worst than anyone else for Detroit.  McDyess contributed some shots in the fourth to keep it out of reach; when you don't fade on every attempt, it does wonders for your percentage.  Fronting Duncan seemed to bother him, although I think better spacing and precise passing will solve that issue.  When Ginobili and Horry's fourth quarter attempts from long range didn't fall, that was all she wrote.  Props to Ben for getting it started, Rasheed and Rip for sustaining, and Chauncey for closing it out.    

Scary moment when Ginobili went out in the first with a knee twink.  I'm glad he made it back and it didn't seem to affect him.  That would have been horrible, Manu and Tayshaun are my favorite players in this series.      

From a baskeball fan's point of view, it was a fun game to watch, and more of what I had expected from this series.  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Don't look now but....
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 10:38:42 AM »
...we just might have a Finals series on our hands.  To be honest I didn't think the change of venue was going to change all that much as evidenced by my Game 3 pick.  I figured Detroit would be energized by the fans and the roster show and break out of the first quarter but I thought the Spurs would weather the rush and proceed to wear them down.  

Like I said I had a good idea that Detroit would break out, but I *never* thought Ben Wallace would explode for 5 blocks and 7 points in a little over 6 minutes of play.  The very first play of the game, Ben Wallace steals the inbounds play, dribbles the length of the court, and Jams it home.  That energized all of Detroit, the determination in Rasheed, Rip, and Tayshaun was palpable.  They were quicker to the looseballs, quicker to the closeouts, quicker to the spot to draw the offensive foul.  A hand on every ball, running on every defensive rebound.  The Pistons were playing with such intensity, one almost didn't notice that the Spurs were still in the lead through most of the first half.  I don't know about any Pistons fans out there, but *that* should be a very scary thing.  

With phenomenal outside shooting (Bowen and Barry) and second chance points, the Spurs were ahead for a long while and managed to keep it close until the end of the third quarter.  About that time, Chauncey decided to re-aquaint himself with the three point line and went on to sink three long balls in the last 14 or so minutes of the game.  Rip's shot started to fall, although the guy can't finish the gimmie's.  Massive credit goes to Bruce Bowen, that guy is unyielding.  Tayshaun Prince had some much needed dunks in transition, but he is struggling mightily from the outside.  The aggressive trap in the baseline the Spurs are doing are messing with him worst than anyone else for Detroit.  McDyess contributed some shots in the fourth to keep it out of reach; when you don't fade on every attempt, it does wonders for your percentage.  Fronting Duncan seemed to bother him, although I think better spacing and precise passing will solve that issue.  When Ginobili and Horry's fourth quarter attempts from long range didn't fall, that was all she wrote.  Props to Ben for getting it started, Rasheed and Rip for sustaining, and Chauncey for closing it out.    

Scary moment when Ginobili went out in the first with a knee twink.  I'm glad he made it back and it didn't seem to affect him.  That would have been horrible, Manu and Tayshaun are my favorite players in this series.      

From a baskeball fan's point of view, it was a fun game to watch, and more of what I had expected from this series.
spurs were ahead until Beno looked like a rookie and threw nonstop balls into detroit hands it seemed.  I couldnt believe Pop left him in for soo many turnovers.  rotation also was a problem stemming from the Manu thigh contusion.  Big Ben came out strong, and I always though Chauncey was a good baller.  Rip was allowed to many cuts inside IMO, the spurs need to cut him off even when he doesnt have the ball - which is possible - detroit has a knack for cramming everyone in the middle to make big screens - the spurs could cut rip off and still be back in time to defend and inside lob IMO.  they really need to look over the tape of the game.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Don't look now but....
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 10:49:24 AM »
spurs were ahead until Beno looked like a rookie and threw nonstop balls into detroit hands it seemed.  I couldnt believe Pop left him in for soo many turnovers.  rotation also was a problem stemming from the Manu thigh contusion.  Big Ben came out strong, and I always though Chauncey was a good baller.  Rip was allowed to many cuts inside IMO, the spurs need to cut him off even when he doesnt have the ball - which is possible - detroit has a knack for cramming everyone in the middle to make big screens - the spurs could cut rip off and still be back in time to defend and inside lob IMO.  they really need to look over the tape of the game.
Concur when rip does the semi circle while Sheed does the moving screen, spurs should fight thru or switch.  Speaking of which...

Pistons also clog the middle and have Rip go from side to side straight across the lane.  Billips or Prince stand at the top of the arc then delilver ball much like a quarterback to a reciever doing a crossing pattern.  In those cases I'd rather the Spurs just do the old switch like we learned in the 4th grade.  It's too many bodies for rips defender to cross.  rip is counting on catch and shoot with lots of space.  He'd be way too freaked out if someone was right there when he caught it.  I predict bricks.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 10:50:30 AM by Reality »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Don't look now but....
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 12:01:03 PM »
ok, someone at ESPN saw the same thing I did, thankfully.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005...ailydime-050614

Gregg Popovich made a mistake at the end of the third quarter when he took Tony Parker out of the game. He was trying to get his point guard a blow and ended up blowing the game.
Once Parker was off the floor, the Spurs seemed to lose their way offensively. They threw the ball away a couple of times and let the Pistons go on a 9-2 run to end the third quarter.

At the time I'm sure Pop was thinking that he would just get Parker some rest and protect him from further foul trouble, but at that point Parker was the offensive spark for this team. Taking him out was the turning point for the Pistons' Game 3 win.

– Tim Legler, from The Palace of Auburn Hills

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.